WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great week-end all.
    Robin,she`s adorable.Enjoy every minute you can,they grow up too fast.
    HUGS
    jane
  • DarleneBDA
    DarleneBDA Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Had a wonderful day today.. Pushed myself to a new milestone... Ran 6km today... what a great feeling

Have a wonderful weekend all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The thread I post on at the SouthBeach site had over 9000 posts in Jan, but is only up to about 4500 right now, with just a little over a week left in Feb.
    Hi Yellowrose--Do you post on the South Beach official site or another message board? Our AOLSB board is disappearing in a few days.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Welcome back meg!

Did an hour of a step DVD today. I find that I like the beginner step DVD's best because they aren't so involved. Every instructor calls something differently, so beginner step DVD's are pretty basic but they do get your heart rate up. Tomorrow I'll do a yoga DVD at home.

Made 1/2 turkey sandwiches to take with me on the trip down to FL. Also made some that I can put in the freezer when we get there and have on the way home. Portioned out baby carrots (they were on sale!).

frogmama - I would have the same problem as you have walking the mall -- I'd see something on sale and just have to get it (especially if I had a coupon!)

renny - I couldn't have said it better about not being able to respond to everyone.

Robin - AWWWWWW!!! Those cheeks just scream "pinch me, pinch me"

Nancy - I have to tell you this story. When my kids were little, I taught them the anatomical names for the body parts. Vince had Jessica in Kay Bee toys one time and she asked to be picked up so she could see something on top (she was probably around 4 at the time). Then she says in a loud voice "daddy, you're hurting my vagina". Well, Vince said that he just wished the floor opened up and swallowed him...lol She wanted a balloon, but she didn't get it. He got out of there as quickly as he could. The looks he got!
    Oh, I'm back to my old self. It's just something how one minute you feel one way (yelling) and the next you have no problem. Thanks for your concern, that means a lot.

free2live - welcome and happy belated birthday. Congrats on the awesome loss!

Suzy - thanks for the recipe. Vince loves anything chocolate

realpure - they said that the mammogram was just fine, thanks for asking

Did the step DVD then went to one store (mushrooms were on sale, but only a limit of 2), played mahjongg (maj'd once), bought gas, bowled 4 games, went to Aldi, now I'm home. Am trying to remember everything that I need to take to FL. Last time we were at the condo, I wrote up a list of things that I needed to bring and one of the items was an ice pack. For the life of me, I can't remember why I wanted it. But it doesn't take up much room so I'm going to take it anyway. I'm trying to get as much in the trunk of the car as possible. Vince is much better at organizing it, so I'll leave it to him.

Oh, the bowling alley got all new pins. For the life of me, I couldn't imagine what they were going to do with the old ones. So I asked. They said that league bowlers could take them, but they need to take a case at a time. I was afraid that a case held 100 or something ridiculous like that. But a case is only 10. So I got 2 cases. At the end of the bowling season for the Newcomers, maybe I can do something with them. Not sure what. Give them to all the bowlers as a "thank you", maybe with a ribbon tied around it? Any ideas? I'm not real crafty.

Virginia - hope your daughter is feeling better real fast. Congrats on those 8's!!!!

eyern - welcome, and good luck on your 5K

genalace - if we had to open a new thread for sex-ed, it wouldn't surprise me if it was censored...lol

MacMadame - so glad miniMac did so well

davetecsgirl - WTG girl!

Better get ready for bed. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • kleinbuenstorf
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! :flowerforyou:

Just a quick TGIF!!! :laugh: :laugh:
    What a week!! Lots of up and down with my weight, but at least I finished with the same weight I started on Monday!! :happy:
    Walked 6 miles today and maybe that was part of the reason I'm okay!!
    So , now for the weekend! No real plans I'll just go with the flow!!:laugh:
    Wishing everybody a wonderful and restful weekend!!:flowerforyou:
    Desiree
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    I met with my new Meetup group for breakfast at Panera Bread. I managed to make a good choice (egg white sandwich) but am thinking, hmmm, maybe not such a good choice. A few calories more and I could have had something really tasty. "Good" goes just so far!

I'm enjoying being in the company of the women in the Meetup group and another I've tried out. I've mentioned before, I've been pretty solitary, socializing just with family, for the last six years, ever since we moved to Placerville. It's awfully easy for me not to reach out, between being, initially, shy with people I don't know and having LOTS of family around to socialize with making it too easy to stay in a rut. The change feels good.

Amanda, you are on the right track in setting aside some "me" time. It's easy to adapt to everyone else's needs while overlooking your own. Visiting five times a week sounds like an awful lot. If I were in a nursing home I don't think I'd want my kids to spend that much of their lives visiting me. It's got to be hard having a family member in a nursing home but some balance in your life is important (and not a bit selfish). Hugs to you.

Robin, that's one beeyutiful baby! So sweet. And he looks so peaceful. Is he really --- or is he faking us out?!!

About dysmorphia, I'm shocked when I look at old pictures of myself. I'm sad that I spent so many years looking pretty awful. I'm even sadder that I couldn't do more things with my kids. It wasn't easy on them having such an obese mom. Urgh. I hate to say that but, at over 300 pounds, that's the stark truth.

I often still feel fat and ugly even though I'm thinner. I can look at myself in pictures and see that I don't look bad. (Although I do tend to look better in pictures than in real life, darn it. I deliberately put a not-so-flattering picture on my Meetup profile because I didn't want people to take that second, is-that-really-you, look when they met me.:laugh: ) My image of myself is getting closer to reality (I think LOL) as time goes on.

I didn't manage to get out for my walk today after all. My daughter and her family were getting ready to go away for the weekend. That's always pure chaos. (My daughter's on the flappable side.) I ended up going grocery shopping for her then watching the girls while she and her DH packed. It's a good example of what not to do. :wink:

Mimi SVQ
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options

But if you give in one day - don't give up. I've wasted so much time looking backwards and beating myself up for past mistakes, instead of looking forward and just dealing with TODAY. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow isn't here, that's why today is called the "Present". So I chose to treat it like a gift and do the best I can today. We start from where we are. :wink: :happy:

I hadn't heard that one before. Great attitude!
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    I have to tell someone this...

Just now, I left a big bowl of roasted cauliflower out on the coffee table while I went into another room. When I came back, Izzy had snagged a piece and was wolfing it down as fast as she could. I scolded her, took the cauliflower away then gave it back to her. (It was Izzy or the garbage.) I then gave a piece to Bode and she scarfed it down in no time, as if it were a wonderful treat. Now THAT'S the mindset I want to have. :laugh:

p.s. I did enjoy the cauliflower but I'm not sure I'd call it a "wonderful treat"
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kackie, the ankle weights I have are made by Altus. I originally bought the ten pound set (five pounds for each ankle) because that’s what was available at the store…..I just bought the 20 pound set from Amazon. It has been almost three years since I first thought of doing strength training and now I have become passionate about it. The hardest part for me is observing the required day or two or rest between sessions. I enjoy the exercises and I am eager to progress.

:flowerforyou: Mimi, don’t wait another day. Get out your book and your weights and get started. When I started using my heart rate monitor I discovered that holding onto a dog going crazy over birds increases the calorie burn of the walk. There were ducks in the meadow this afternoon and Brandy and Sasha went crazy even after they flew away.

:flowerforyou: Amanda, I understand your pain and frustration about your MIL…..I experienced that first with my grandmother and later with my mother.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, I don’t know if you’re going east or west through the mountains, but either way you’ll be traveling through some of the most beautiful terrain imaginable….enjoy…..I have decided that I am no more mature than your grade seven students who need stickers or whatever as reward for their accomplishments. Between my HRM and my pedometer I need credit for what I’m doing (steps or calories)……..doing yoga is frustrating because it accumulates very few calories and no steps.:laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Virginia, before I lost weight, I thought of myself as someone who needed to lose about 20 pounds. After losing 70 pounds I look at my thighs and think they are monstrous even though I now wear size 4 or size 6 pants. I have been called “tiny” and I can’t believe they are talking about me.

:laugh: :laugh: Blissfuldrake, I loved your sex ed story.

:brokenheart: :sad: Jake is away overnight to a meditation retreat so I have a bit of time to myself and I plan to enjoy it.:bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I bought size 8 jeans!! I never thought I would ever in my life wear a single digit size - and I can only wear them in some brands, but still. Size 8!!

Does anyone else struggle with a kind of dysmorphic view of their size? When I was at my highest I didn't see myself as large as I really was (I'm horrified when I look at pictures now - I honestly never realized I was that big) and now I'm still seeing myself as "fat" even though I'm assured that I'm not really. Kind of odd.

Congratulations on the size 8 jeans! I had a pair of size 8 jeans...once....many, many years ago. LOL

Yes, I had a dysmorphic view of my size. I thought I wasn't nearly as big as I was. Probably due, in part, to having housemates much larger than I ever got. Saw myself in the mirror as having proud breasts and belly. Recently, I saw a picture of my back though. I HAVE BACK BOOBS! OMG! That tears it!

I'm glad to meet you! Here's to our journey!
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    you guys are amazing and inspiring! count me in!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Amanda- The 3 of you have been doing a wonderful job visiting your DMI the past three years. I don't think you should feel quilty wanting some "me time." You deserve it!

Robin- Olivia is beautiful!

Nancy- DD teaches health to grades K-5 in MD. The stories she tells! She really makes me laugh! Have fun shopping for new clothes. I did pretty well when I neede some new things. I have a part time job at Christopher Banks. ( I used to work at CJ Banks when I was a plus size) So with my discount and watching the clearance items, I have made out quite well. I have actually replaced my wardrobe twice.

Realpure- glad to hear the fish oil has helped. We have been giving it to my dog because he has very dry itchy skin. It really
    has seemed to work well. The only thing is, this dog who loves to eat everything hates his pills. At first I put it in a piece of
    banana, but then he got wise and smells it first. Now we wrap it in bread with peanut butter.

Virginia- congratulations on the size 8s. (Try Christopher Banks- I can wear a 4 there and a 6 or 8 else where! LOL) I also can't believe how bad I looked when I see pictures. I don't remember feeling that fat then (size 18-20 or2x) Now I look in the mirror and I still see a fat person.

MacMadame- Glad to hear that MiniMac is on the road to recovery.

DD picked up her dog today so since I only had mine, we went to the park today. I decided that walking fast isn't much different than a slow jog, so I decided to try that today.:bigsmile: I got in a good 45 minutes of jogging and then another 15 minutes of slower walking. I think I did burn a few extra calories pulling the dog whenever he wanted to stop and sniff. Its a good thing there is a bathroom open at the park. I wouldn't be able to make it without stopping to pee! The bathroom is in a lodge but fortunately there was no one in there so I took the dog in with me!
    Hope all of you have a good and healthy weekend.
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good evening, ladies! Hope everyone is getting a good start on their weekend.

@Robin – OMG! What a cutie! Enjoy your time with her. :love:

@Nancy – I had to laugh about you practicing the proper names for intimate body parts. It reminded me of a sign language workshop I went to last summer. One of the sessions for teachers of the deaf was on the slang sign vs. proper sign for various “private parts” and associated actions. One purpose for the session was to make teachers aware of the signs for curse words and other words that students shouldn’t be using in class; the other reason was to teach the appropriate signs to use when necessary for science and health classes. I wasn’t nearly as embarrassed as the learner as I expected to be; being the presenter might have been a different story. :blushing: I think the presenter’s attitude had a lot to do with that – he didn’t appear to be embarrassed by discussing it, no hesitating or sheepish grins before saying the words, and I think that set a professional tone for the rest of the class too. So keep practicing!

@realpure – That’s the 2nd time recently I’ve seen real butter listed as an OK fat – not as good as EVOO or peanut oil, obviously, because of the saturated fats, but better than the fake spreads. Maybe I should look into that a little more. Thanks for the post!

@Virginia – Whoo-hoo!! Size 8 jeans! I don’t know that size 8s are in my future. Even when I was at my thinnest in high school, 10s and 12s were the smallest sizes I could get into (I inherited a fairly large body frame from my German ancestors on my father’s side). Of course, sizes keep getting larger so we’ll have to see what I end up with. :bigsmile:

@blissfuldrake – You’re story is hysterical!! I have to admit I’ve called others that name in my younger days – not to their face, and certainly not my mother (I wouldn’t be posting here today if I had :wink: )! Perfect way to handle it!!

@davetecsgirl – Congrats on that new milestone! Are you training for something in particular, or just challenging yourself for self-improvement?

@issyfit – No, I’m a member on the official South Beach site at the moment. Subscription runs out at the end of March and I don’t know if I’ll be renewing. I get a lot more use out of this site – plus it’s free – I mostly just use the message boards to keep in touch with people I’ve met over there. I’ve found a couple of different SB threads here, but they always fizzle out after a few weeks. :ohwell:

@Suzy – Thanks for the recipe – they sound delish! My mom used to make “Forgotten” cookies – they were very similar, but had mini chocolate chips and pecans in them. You put them in a slow oven, then turned the oven off and "forgot" about them overnight. These will be a great substitute with fewer calories!

WOW!! Saw posts from many new people. Welcome to all!

Tomorrow is my DDs baby shower, then next Saturday is our quarterly extended family get-together. Once I get thru those, I think I’ll be finished with big events for a while. YAY!! My younger son’s bday is March 4th, but he’s stationed in Germany right now. I’m mailing his gift and card this weekend – and secretly thanking God that I don’t have to face another bday cake. :happy:

Well, time for bed. :yawn: :yawn:
    Linda
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    @issyfit – No, I’m a member on the official South Beach site at the moment. Subscription runs out at the end of March and I don’t know if I’ll be renewing. I get a lot more use out of this site – plus it’s free – I mostly just use the message boards to keep in touch with people I’ve met over there. I’ve found a couple of different SB threads here, but they always fizzle out after a few weeks. ohwell
    I don't pay for the SB site, but I have the app on my iPad and can read the message boards, just can't post there. I like the daily tips.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday ladies.

Thank you for your support after my torrent about visiting MIL. It is difficult to get real balance.

Robin - your grandbaby is almost edible! Such a cutie!

Mary - I laughed at your cauliflower story. We used to have a precious little cocker spaniel and her favourite treat was a head of lettuce (although it didn't stop her from getting a little tubby!)

MacMadame - glad to hear that MiniMac is through the operation. It's always a worry, isn't it?

Genealace - DH definitely meant Hepburn. Neither of us watch tv soaps and wouldn't have a clue about Coronation Street characters (my mum used to love watching it though - she thought of them all as her friends!) Oh, and I'm loving the hair colour!

Virginia - I'm a total hat addict. It's kind of my trademark. I also suffer from body dysmorphia. When I was huge I could sometimes convince myself that I didn't look THAT big. Now I'm small (I have a 24 inch waist - very proud of that!) and I still pick up clothes and think 'no way will I squeeze into those' and yet I try them on and they are too large.

Suzy - thanks for posting the recipe. May try it out this weekend.

Nancy - have fun shopping for smaller clothes.

Laura - let's hope the pound stays off for your official weigh day.

Michelle - enjoy Florida.

Barbie - your HRM stories make me smile - it's the kind of thing I would do. In fact, I'm going to wear mine today when I go to watch The Woman in Black with my two youngest children. We've seen the play several times and I'm really looking forward to seeing the film.

I had to go up to London Bridge yesterday for a meeting. What I hadn't realised was how close to the Golden Hinde the office was. It was literally 12 feet from the window. The view was so wonderful that it was hard to concentrate on business. If you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Hind you will see the office to the left of the ship in the top picture. We were in the office at ground level - perfect! I would never get any work done if I had to work there all the time.

Time to get moving. Happy weekend to you all.
    Love
    Amanda x
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    My sweet-toothed little sister just sent me a message to say she's found some philadelphia cream cheese with cadbury's chocolate ... I think she's discovered heaven! I think I'll give it a miss!

x
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump - 58 year old woman from New Zealand here - was trying to jog in C25K on a paved riverside path the other day and when I got to the 5th jog found myself running quite fast and easily (not usual for a 270 pounder) - it was a big surprise to me!!
  • chrisnmb
    Options
    Will turn 50 in a month so I guess I qualify for this message board. Today is my first day and I'm just learning my way around this site. Look forward to shedding many pounds! Have a great day everyone!
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Wow, can I relate to a different perception of what I really look like. It was pictures and videos that gave me the final push to make this happen in 2012. I refuse to believe I have to look like a pear just because I'm over 50. I have to say, we have some amazing SUCCESS stories here.

This is the longest I've stayed at dieting........ I have signs all over my house and even my kids are helping this time. So many reasons, but the main one is health. I spent the better part of my Fall in PT for my broken ankle/foot and saw so many frail older people who could barely move. My Mom died at 40 of breast cancer, I was (11). I have no picture of a healthy older woman, but I'm determined to give that to our daughter. I'm an older Mom, and I want to hold grandbabies some day and be able to play on the floor with them. Coming here makes me realize it is up to me. I make the choice every day. I choose health!

Robin - Olivia is just beautiful. What a little love.

Virginia - SIZE 8 JEANS! That is EXCITING!!

Barbie Cat - 20 pound leg weights. You are so strong and inspiring.

Tiarapants - 24" waist!!! Wow, You are tiny!!

Rockie - Sking!! Keeping up with 30 somethings. One of my many fitness goals.

Just here trying to glean some inspiration before a long weekend with the kidos. They wear me down some days. I should get a heart monitor to see how it spikes. I bet it's pretty often.

Happy Weekend. - Thank you for sharing the journey. It means a lot to me.
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies...just could not sleep-in today...got up at 5:30...this is not acceptable on Saturday! However, I will use my time wisely gleaning inspiration for all of you wonderful ladies.

Mimi...loved your story about walking your dog and grand-dog. Little dogs are so funny with their viciousness.

Amanda...it is so easy to forget to focus on ourselves when the needs of others are calling. I admire your realization that you cannot forget yourself. My heart goes out to you with the situation with your mum-in-law. My sister was the only one of us 4 kids that was living near my parents when they went through this same thing. The rest of us were spread around the USA with none of us closer than a 10 hour drive. Alot fell upon her, and I remember her anxious days of being there for them. I hope that your husband and Brother-in-law will understand...perhaps they could kick up their # of visits and you could decrease yours.

JB...what a talent to have with your poetry...please share more with us. Would love to read the one about dieting.

Robin...beautiful granddaughter! I know you are in heaven. Your first?

Nancy...I think the whole attitude about "those things" is a product of our generation. My parents never talked to me about "those things". What a different level of media input there is in today's world that bombard our young daily. I'm sure you will do great...because it sounds like your school kids like and respect you.

Janice...hope your Saturday morning was better to you than mine was to me. My body just decided it didn't matter it was Saturday...and I was up at 5:30. Couldn't see laying there tossing & turning and bothering hubby. It is a nice thing that I can just do what I want, and not be governed by the clock as on a weekday.

Janice...interesting about the fitbit. I'm definitely going to check it out. I wear a Weight Watchers Pedometer every day, but it only tracks steps & earned points. This sounds like the whole enchilada! I hope it isn't too expensive.

Free2Live Welcome and congratulations on your AWESOME progress to date. You'll find lots of positive reinforcement, great ideas and humor with this group.

Issyfit...In school my Health Ed teacher was the football coach...THAT was an interesting and embarrassing way to "learn". Half the class was the football team, so it sometimes got interesting.

SuzyQ...thanks for the recipe...these look amazing, and I'm going to try to make them this weekend.

Genealace...love the tealbits! Very nice.

Vypeters...Totally get you on the size-perception thing. When I was in high school, I was usually between a 10-12, but there were very few girls in my class that were really "teeny". However, I also had the perception I was fat...probably more of a self-assurance thing than anything. Now when I look at my old yearbook, I smack myself in the head and think "what were you thinking???" I was faaaaaaaaaaar from fat. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I have become mature enough to know fat when I see fat on myself. Aged-wisdom is worthwhile sometimes.

Blissfuldrake....Oh my gosh...what a GREAT way to deal with your daughter's comment. I laughed out loud. You handled it perfectly!

MacMadame---glad the surgery went well for your daughter.

Yellowrose--referring to the quote you quoted...I read somewhere that often hunger is often subsided by drinking a big glass of water...sometimes thirst masks itself as hunger.

Marcelyn--reading posts like yours, vypeters, and so many others who have lost a lot of weight keeps me coming back here. My plan has no time limit...but my plan is to get to the weight that I am supposed to be for my height / age (145-150). All of the successes that are reflected on this thread are my inspiration, and my reason for knowing I CAN MAKE THIS HAPPEN! Thank you to all of you.

Davetecsgirl! Great job on the run!

Michele...Your body parts story is hilarious! Although I am sure your husband didn't think so. Funny how doing the right thing can sometimes backfire and wish you were invisible.

Desiree...walking has been my "leveler" this week I think. Despite several challenges, I managed to drop a half pound. Being aware of the extra we have to do to enjoy our indulgences is important. The thing is, I don't even resent (as I would have in the past) that I have to work harder to play harder.

Mimi...Please remember...we aren't getting older, we are getting better, and I truly believe that. Love yourself! You are a beautiful person, and your picture proves that!

Barbie....enjoy your "me" time...

Welcome alfpalmer...hurry back!

Frogmama...I am trying to get some jogging in on the treadmill...but I haven't been back at it to feel fully comfortable at the higher speed...I am practicing a bit longer each day though...more burned calories is a good thing!

Pukeolive...welcome...and isn't it wonderful when we AMAZE ourselves?!?

Chrisnmb...welcome and stick with this group and success is yours!

Realpure...I echo your gratitude about sharing this journey...I could not do this without all of you.

Hoping to finish up getting the bathroom put back together today...it's very close and I'm thrilled with the results!

My daughter (she's 25) & I and 2 friends are doing a Ladies Night Out at a Mardi-Gras style masquerade party called Cosmos for Critters tonight. It's a benefit for three dog rescue groups in the area. I am on the adoptions committee for one of them. This is the 2nd annual event and we went to it last year. I was so thrilled if she asked if I wanted to go again this year! It's more of a appetizer type affair, and alot of vegan selctions, so it should be fairly diet-friendly...especially when I kick up my heals to the DJ and dance the night away. There were alot of ladies there last year making it a GNO, so it was fun to get on the dance floor and not have to worry about having a dance partner...there were dance groups!

Feels good to be back chatting with my "lifeline to health"...Thanks to you all for being here. Off to the treadmill !

MEG