WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :noway: Barrrrbieeeee! 200 squats! Ok, so I have to know. Do you go all the way to the floor or do half-squats similar to sitting and standing? Gosh your legs must be looking so great, and your fanny! :love: :laugh:

I'm so curious. I've been doing 20-30 squats, some all the way down, some half way.

:^) jb

Everything I've read about squats suggests that you don't bend your knees to more than 90 degrees so I do either regular squats like sitting on a chair or plie squats with my feet farther apart (like ballet). I do them in sets of 20 and keep track on a the same piece of paper where I keep track of my glasses of water.....squats are great because you can just get up and do them......I do a lot of them while walking the dogs.....when the dogs are sniffing, I'm squatting :laugh: yes, my legs and fanny are getting much firmer..........the 100 squats a day group has over 100 members and there are currently fewer than 10 of us posting, so I guess a lot of people weren't able to continue with the challenge.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    HI!All
    Knee has been sore all day.Good news-HUBBY got a job!!!!!orientation next fri.Temp to perm,hope this is the job he`s been praying for.
    Thanks for all the support and love!
    have a good night.
    HUGS
    jane

Happy dance for you!
  • shutterbugteresa
    Options
    Hello all...I am new and trying to navigate my way around! Hopefully, I have bookmarked this board::flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,371 Member
    Options
    barbie - I've bought myself measuring cups, too. One thing I've found, tho, is if they are the plastic ones, the handles (especially for 1 cup and 1/2 cup since they are used the most) seem to break off quite easily. Next time I'm going to get the metal ones, although I don't think the metal ones come in as many different sizes (like no 3/4 cups) A question for you: do you have any words of wisdom that I might think about when I'm tempted to much late at night? It's not that I'm hungry, I'm bored more. Update: I added some of the "true lemon" to my water, and the acid seems to squelch some of my desire to much.

kackie - we really don't rent this place. Actually, the condo assoc. now has a rule that if you rent, you can't rent for less than a month. Well, I guess I can always let someone use this place! The reason we don't rent is because you never know who you are renting to...will they take care of the place or will they put holes in the wall? I can't put flour, etc in the refrigerator since we unplug the refrigerator when we leave. Sometimes there are bad electrical storms (hurricanes) and things have gotten fried before. We turn off most of the breakers (have to keep the one for the air conditioner on and we leave one for a light in the kitchen or somewhere on, otherwise they all get turned off when we leave). Even tho you may put the flour in a sealed jar, I've had it before where it has gotten buggy so that's why I don't do that. I do leave some food staples down here, but only things that are still factory sealed. If a box of crackers, say, has been unsealed, it goes back with me. Like this time I bought 2 boxes of the mini nilla wifers (they were on sale bogo and I had two $1 coupons.) Vince opened one box and that'll go back with us, the other one will stay. We one time tried just taping the box of triscuit crackers shut, but they still got "mushy" so that's why I take open things home with me. We live in NC, and, trust me, the humidity there is no where near the humidity down here. Plus, we're right on the river, which only adds to it. Love reading all about MT

Virginia - since I've joined this group, my desire for veggies has definitely increased.

It was very breezy out today, but very warm. I'm sitting here in shorts right now. I did go in the pool and laid out in the sun some. I have a timer with me because if I didn't, it would be so easy for me to lose time and lay in the sun too long.

My menu for tomorrow and Sunday looks pretty funny. Actually, I'm logging the food that I'm taking with me but putting everything under "snacks". At least it's all there, if not in the right meal. I may get around to putting the food in the right meal if I have time.

Suz - those dried beans, were they in some oil first? I've had beans at Trader Joes, not very greasy at all, but there was oil in the ingredients. Wonder how just dried beans would be (by that I mean green beans)? I roast garbanzo beans, they are good, not bad at all in calories, and make me want to drink a lot.

Oh, I had a minor victory last night. We went to dinner at Durango steak house. I was hungry and they put cheese on my salad (it wasn't on the menu that there was cheese) and I asked that they make another one without the cheese. Well, I ate my steamed broccoli and carrots, but kept eying that bread. It was a honey wheat. But I didn't have any!!!! Not that the thought of having some didn't cross my mind, mind you.

Welcome everyone new. I know you'll love this place as much as I do!

Did 45 min of yoga today, then 45 min of step, 15 min of abs and 30 min of upper body. Won't do any exercise (except walking the mall) tomorrow and the only exercise I'll get Sun is walking up the steps to our seats. Fortunately, we're on the top row, so I can stand on the seat and not block anyone. Also, we're under cover so should it start to rain, we won't get rained upon. The down side is that if you want the warmth of the sun, you don't get it.

jb - congrats on the loss. I always need to do the low impact jumping jacks, great that you can do it!

Marcelyn - I agree, portion control, eat something low in calories but filling at home before you go and then have a bite of this and that.

mixdouble - hope the new diet goes good. Let me know what you find out about the salt. Sodium is in such weird places! Things you'd never have thought of, so let me know, OK?

MacMadame - so glad MiniMac is feeling so much better. Kids really bounce back after being sick!

jane - congrats to your hubby!!! What fantastic news!

I was going to say that squats shouldn't be more than a 90 degree angle in your knees, too much pressure on the knees. I have heard where people have done them greater than 90 degrees, but this has always been on the adivce of their physical therapist.

Gotta get to bed. We need to leave by 7:30 for the race tomorrow. I've made my eggs and mushrooms for breakfast tomorrow, just have to heat them up. We'll probably stop at Picadilly cafeteria to get something to eat, but this way I won't need much. I have my "going to the movies" pocketbook with me, so I'm hoping that I don't even get searched going into the races. Even if I do, alls they are looking for really is that you don't have glass bottles, etc. with you.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Went to granddaughter, Olivia's, talent show tonight. She's just 7 and a little bitty thing (which she didn't get from my side of the family!) but got up there and belted out Rolling in the Deep by Adele. Of course, when I say "belted out" I admit to being just a little prejudiced. :wink: The kids were so cute - some talented, some not so much:noway: , a couple who were amazing - 3 national champion acrobats and two boys, maybe 10 years old, who were so funny the whole audience laughed themselves silly.

Robin, just wanted to cheer you on. It wasn't until I retired that I managed to lose weight so I understand the challenges. It's much easier for me now. I'd say look to the many women on this thread who are still working and who've developed strategies for losing weight. I'm amazed by their successes. It's a good thing we have the variety we do on this thread. There's always someone to learn from.

Jane, a big congrats to your DH and you.

Mimi SVQ
  • brunsda
    Options
    It was good reading all the updates.

Meg- thanks for the feedback. looking forward to hearing about those hotpants! :blushing:

Janice-Know what you mean about the Kirby. Do you have to use your foot to get it moving forward???

Welcome to all the new people. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Most of today was spent going from one appointment to another. Not a single one was for something fun either. :grumble: Then tonight was the school carnival for my son. Pretty much the last thing I wanted to do tonight. He had fun and I guess that is what is most important. :love:

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend.

Dawn
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies

I have the Zaggora hot pants and love them. They are not hot pants as in the way we remember them, but rather in a thermo way. I got them initially as I needed a little extra padding under my workout pants and they really feel good and definitely make the cellulite less visible and smoother. They are actually in the process of developing a matching top, which I will definitely be getting too. I've also ordered a pair of their 'flares' which are like leggings
    When I'm working in my kitchen, I plug my iPod into the docking station and dance around the entire time. I like something with a beat and my DH laughs at me as he often walks in while I'm listening to the likes of Justin Timberlake or even some rap. He is convinced that the music is too young for me - I tell him that music that makes me move keeps me young.... so there!

Got some sad news on Thursday evening that an old friend has 'slipped away'. He had been ill with cancer for nearly ten years so it is a blessing that he has no more pain and I like to think that he is somewhere having a large martini and flirting with all the pretty angels. The funeral is Thursday and I'm sure it will be an emotional, but celebratory event.

I'm in the gallery today, so I suppose I should get some work done ... although the sun is shining and it makes me want to go outside. DH is working here today too, but two flights up from me - I am pretty sure I will get plenty of stair walking exercise today. We are also going to take a longer route home which means walking to a tube station a couple of miles away rather than the closest one. We get to walk through St James's Park and by Buckingham Palace, a far prettier route than our normal one.

Ho hum, better do some work.

Have a good weekend my friends. Drink lots of water. Move more and enjoy what you eat.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • LauraJWStevenson
    LauraJWStevenson Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP....and am loving it so far. Course its only been a week. BUT I"m learning sooo much. Bought my scales and cups..I have NEVER messured servings before. I used a new recipe last night. Found out my hubby doesn't like turkey sausage!!! I really wasn't crazy about it either. But the rest of the recipe was good. I can't figure out how to figure calories into a recipe that doesn't have them listed. Anyone??
    I have three grandbabies that are the light of my world. I keep the two girls. They keep me on my toes. And when my grandson is over....I'm on my tail laughing at them all!!! They are such little angels!! With alot of devil thrown in for fun!
    My mother lives with us and is really over weight...so ineffect I have put her on this journey with me...even though she is NOT LIKING it. LOL!!!! I do the cooking so she has to eat what I cook. :laugh: But I think she is starting to come around a little. Now if I could just get her to move around a bit more! But even if she don't, I'm not going to let it stop me any more! I'm going for it!!!

Wonderful to be here!!
    Laura
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies...Up with the birds again this morning...hubby was up and getting ready to go fishing at 4:15, and I was STARVED at that time. So, I got up and made us a healthy breakfast of poached eggs on 1/2 a multi-grain english muffin, and 1/2 grapefruit. He was gone at 5:15, and I never did go back to bed. :indifferent:

I've been looking for some healthy recipes for dinner tonight. Brian bought some Cod yesterday, so that is on the menu. While looking for a recipe in one of my new cookbooks I found this recipe for roasted veggies and thought I would post it, since we have conversation about this tasty healthy dish this week. It looks amazing, and not difficult at all. No nutritional information though...is there someplace I can plug in the recipe & get that info? :smile:

Today is the first weekend we haven't had work planned, and to be honest, it is kind of nice having a different routine for the day. I'm definitely going out to look for a heart monitor, scale and some good measuring cups. Is it okay to reward myself with 3 items:laugh:

There are several new resident dogs at the shelter that I volunteer at, so I thought I would go meet them, and they always love a good walk, so there is some good exercise. There's one I am interested in...but hubby is not ready yet for another dog. Daisy has been gone since September 21st...I miss her every day and I am pretty sure she would want us to give another homeless dog the joyous life we gave her. I wish she would convince Brian of that.:ohwell:

Welcome Laura...Did your mom make you eat what she fixed when you were a kid? If so, remind her of that, and claim that this is payback...and good for her!:tongue:

Laura... Your before & after pics are so inspirational...you've come a LONG way and look fantabulous!:flowerforyou:

Michele...my in-laws lived in Daytona for years, so we were frequently in attendance at the races when we lived in Jacksonville. I honestly don't think I could stand the noise of it now...though it was fun at the time. :wink:

Welcome Teresa! Hurry Back:flowerforyou:

Barbie...I'm going to try the squats...low impact, and my butt sure could use some firming up. I have a picture in my head of your dogs sniffing and you squatting ... it makes me smile. :bigsmile:

Jane Hooray for Hubby & you! I'm sure that is a tremendous relief for you both. :drinker:

Renny...One of the things I love about this group is the International Flavor....it's so neat to hear about someone's day in England or Canada or ....:love:

MacMadame...so glad Mini-Mac is feeling back up to snuff...I know that makes you feel better too.:happy:

Rita... lucky girl to have a job you love...I, personally, love my paycheck...but the job could definitely be worse. :tongue:

Mixdouble...Hubby & I have also limited our wine (during the weekdays) to one glass of red-wine at dinner. It's amazing how
    many empty calories I realize that I was drinking prior to this journey to health. Weekends are a little more lenient, but I still try to be careful. :ohwell:

Marcelynh...hope your evening was under control...:flowerforyou:

Janice...sounds like a fun, family weekend in store for you...Enjoy!:drinker:

Linda...regarding my exercise routine...it is routine...at this point only walking for 45-60 minutes a day. I did stop yesterday at a recycled book & dvd store to find some exercise dvd's...I bet there were 10,000 used videos there, and about 10 of them were exercise-related. Apparently people don't part with those too often. I did buy a couple of books on healthy living but could not remember "My Happiness Project" title for the life of me...another joy of maturity. :embarassed:

Suz...cartoon oh-so-true...the cookbook I found the Mediterranean veggie dish in has some amazing looking bean dishes. The book is a gluten-free cookbook I bought on a whim. :smile:

LinmarterMarr...welcome...maybe there is a way to find a healthy zucchini bread recipe...I know it is one of my favorites!:wink:

Alice, welcome back!:heart:

Eileen...we missed you...welcome back, and yes...positive thinking is key to success, and this group definitely helps me think positive!:flowerforyou:

Robin...speaking from experience, sometimes a good pittypat is just needed. Getting back into a new routine can be difficult, hang in there...stop in when you can for excellent support from these gals 24x7.:heart:

Virginia...we had high 60's here in SC Thursday & Friday...not supposed to get out of the 40's today with high winds...it's brisk to say the least! :noway:

Kackie... "We hardly ever move in a straight line...just keep moving in the right direction.. " I'm adopting that as my motto...thank you!:flowerforyou:

To all of the wonderful ladies of this group...Happy Healthy Saturday...:heart::flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Here's the recipe for the veggies if anyone is interested. With any luck I can figure out how to upload a picture of it.

Mediterranean Vegetable Bake
    2 Tomatoes, Sliced
    1 Small Red Onion, Sliced
    1 mediucm zucchini, Sliced
    1 Small Eggplant Sliced
    1 small yellow squash sliced
    1 large portobello mushroom, aliced
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    2/3 cup dry white wine
    Salt & pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 C - according to an online conversion page)

2. Arrange slices of vegetables in rows, alternating different tyeps and overlapping slices in pan to make attractive arrangement; sprinkle evenly with garlic. Combine olive oil & rosemary in small bowl; drizzle over vegetables.

3. Pour wine over vegetables; season with salt & pepper. Cover loosely with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Makes 4-6 servings.

Having no luck figuring out how to include the pic...can anyone help?
    In the meantime...where there is a will there is a way...so my avatar is the veggie dish for the time being!

MEG
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I am gonna try & catch up on this thread - hopefully quite day here at work.

I am 50, and my counter says 40lbs but I really want to add a few more but that seemes overwhelming so shooting reasonable for now.
  • kckramp
    kckramp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The crud I have had all week settled in my lungs and I have bronchitis. :frown: The doc gave me some antibiotics hopefully I will feel better soon and be able to start exercising again. I have really missed exercising. The good news about being sick is I have LOST 1.6 pounds:laugh: :tongue: :smile: I have eaten just not a lot. Hope everyone is doing well, I need to catch up on all the posts. Hope you all have a good weekend.
    KC
  • scompton54
    Options
    Greetings All

Happy Saturday! It's funny how short work weeks can often feel longer than regular ones. We were supposed to get lots of snow on Thursday night and I admit I was looking forward to a snow day on Friday, but it was not to be.

I've been mucking about with the various nutrition settings in the food diaries and although I think I eat a very healthy diet, I find I am actually quite low on iron and potassium. I started tracking the potassium because I was getting leg cramps and then decided to check out the iron. I have been taking a number... calcium, vitamin D, fish capsules and just added magnesium but I think I'm going to have to go with a multi vitamin. I'm just wondering how others manage to get all the vitamins and minerals in or if most people have to go the vitamin route.

I have been doing weight training for almost three years now and love it. I work with a trainer once a week, usually (I'm lucky, it's subsidized by my health plan) but I also watch other people train and get ideas. I tend to get bored so last summer I started cycling regularly, started yoga in the fall and this winter I took up skiing again. I also have a couple of Jillian Micheal's DVDs that I do at home when I want a quick workout. They are hard work and I usually do them with either 5 or 10 pound hand weights, depending on the exercise but if I had started from nothing with those, my weights would have been a lot lower. I don't have Michelle Obama arms(my goal) but they are definitely not flabby now....the jiggle is gone!!

I am glad that a number of you are enjoying the Happiness Project. As with most things, not everything will work for you but the reward system, tracking, evaluating has certainly worked for me. I did do a de-clutter when I first read it (that was her January goal) but my house is still not perfect by a long shot and probably won't ever be, but I did rid myself of a lot. If I could only get my grown kids to also get into de-cluttering my house of their stuff, it would be even tidier.:smile: I borrowed a pedometer this week just to see how many steps I take at work and during my work day I take between 6500-8000. That may make up for all the " tastes" I must make for quality control.

I went to a new book club this week that got started through Meetup.....I think it's going to be a lot of fun. Good discussions and some very funny ladies. Tonight I am going out for dinner with another Meetup group so I'm going to yoga and the gym today to earn myself some eating points. Tomorrow I'm skiing. I know a lot of people have empty nest syndrome but I don't. I love when they visit and I wish they were closer but I love the freedom of being able to do what I want when I want. I did flounder a bit at first, but I really feel I'm getting the hang of this living fully every day. :smile:

AHealthierSuz; Can I ever relate to your cartoon. I look at my pictures of me in my 20s when I felt fat and think....what on earth were you thinking. I am not sure I will ever have a realistic body image....all I ever see is my tummy, but I am trying. Fortunately I love food too much to ever be anorexic.

jb: I have avoided jumping jacks all my life....I was always feel like my bladder is going to fall out, but I've started to do them as well. I find skipping less uncomfortable....I wonder if there is really a big difference or is that just trying to rationalize not doing jumping jacks?

yellowrose: I love my HRM and bought it after all the good recommendations on here. I just record the calories burned....mine doesn't automatically upload but It's doing what I want it to do.

megathome: If you go to food and then to recipes, you can enter all the ingredients and it will give you the nutritional values. You can also choose to publish it to the database by adding all the instructions which, I must admit, I am usually too lazy to do.

jane: congrats

Laura: Try another kind of turkey sausage because they can really vary in flavour. In Canada, we can get a really good Hot Italian Turkey sausage....PC brand.

I rarely use canned beans. Cooking from scratch is cheaper, tastier and healthier. I love chickpeas and black beans the best but also red lentils which cook up really quickly. I tend to cook them with either east Indian or Mexican spicing. If you like chick peas in particular, i learned from an Indian chef that if you add a touch of baking soda to the water when cooking, they poof up a little more, you can also add a tea bag for colour. Chana Masala is one of my favourite dishes.

I just feel so encouraged when I read all your posts. I have to admit that even though I am loving the skiing, all the gardening talk is making me itchy to get into my garden. I don't grow a lot of veggies, but my front yard is all perennials and the back yard has minimal grass. I love the spring when all the bulbs and Forgetmnots are out.....so pretty but it's still at least 2 1/2 months away.

Again, I thank you all for being here. Enjoy your day.

Sarah
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Happy Saturday all. Enjoy reading the grandchildren stories. :love:

BEANS: The new ones I bought were called Anasazi. Our favorite will always be pintos, but I also make navy beans, black beans and black-eyed peas the same way. I used to buy reduced sodium canned beans until I learned that they are loaded with artificial things other than salt. Canned beans match home-cooked beans in terms of fiber and nutrients, but most every brand of canned anything is packaged with BPA so soaking my own dried beans has become a habit. Read more about BPA's here: http://yourorganicgardeningblog.com/are-you-eating-bpa-dangerous-toxin-found-in-canned-food/

I soak 1 cup of dried beans in3 cups of water overnight. Then drain and rinse them and put them in the crock pot with 1 diced onion and 2 grated cloves of fresh garlic, sauteed in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Fill the pot with boiling water even with the beans, then add 1 cup heated chicken broth. Salt to your taste once the beans are tender. Since its just the two of us, this usually makes two meals for us as a side dish or one if all we are eating is beans and cornbread. (There is nothing low calorie about cornbread and corn is one of the worst things a diabetic can eat, so I only make it once a month now as a special treat instead of once a week, as in years past.)

MANY calories will be burned today. More than I will attempt to log... Hubby is off today and we will be building a garden fence and shoveling gravel onto pathways. My daffodils are budding so I'll be able to plant soon.

:flowerforyou: Glad to have a busy day planned to keep my mind busy. It was 4 years ago today that I spent the day with my Moma for the last time. What a grand lady she was! Here's a picture of us together on my birthday, about 2 weeks before she passed (I was almost 200lbs.)

5769_99058324430_778139430_1853004_6933553_n.jpg
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    HI!All
    Knee has been sore all day.Good news-HUBBY got a job!!!!!orientation next fri.Temp to perm,hope this is the job he`s been praying for.
    Thanks for all the support and love!
    have a good night.
    HUGS
    jane

jane, SO HAPPY FOR YOU....on all counts.....
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    The crud I have had all week settled in my lungs and I have bronchitis. :frown: The doc gave me some antibiotics hopefully I will feel better soon and be able to start exercising again. I have really missed exercising. The good news about being sick is I have LOST 1.6 pounds:laugh: :tongue: :smile: I have eaten just not a lot. Hope everyone is doing well, I need to catch up on all the posts. Hope you all have a good weekend.
    KC
    KC...i had the same thing and its going on two weeks....my first workout in two was yesterday, did weights and my trainer commented that i was getting out of breath.... so this stuff does stay with us for a while....feel better soon
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I am hanging in there and doing OK on both calories and getting back into daily exercise. I haven't been posting as I should, but that will come back too.

Lent has begun and I am surprised at the non-Catholics who participate. DD and I have given up meat (beef, pork, chicken, turkey), so we are excited about getting creative. 3 days down, 37 to go.

My new boss is a real jerk and I told him so yesterday as politely and professionally as I could. Hopefully, I will not have to try to look for a new job at my age or retire early in a bad financial position. Just what I needed is stress at work too.

I scanned back and read through a vew pages. I love the new pages and continue to be amazed at all the new folks who find this thread.

Happy Saturday to all,

Jeannie
  • BBoros
    BBoros Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have been on MFP for 10 days. I am so glad I found this topic. I am 52 yrs old and have a lot of weight to lose. I am a diabetic and also have back and knee problems, which makes it hard to do some of the excercises.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    To all the old timers who have been here for years -

I almost forgot my 2 big pieces of news: we are getting a small freezer today after 2 + years without one and we paid off my DD's hip surgery. It is hard to believe it's been 2 years since her surgery and as long without a freezer. Today is a happy day.

Jeannie
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Happy Weekend! Spent the night out with teens swooning over Channing Tatum. I always get a kick out of theaters that are full of women. So much talking and laughing.

Have been to 2 basketball games back to back for my little guy this morning. Cleaning the whole house top to bottom today while helping with homework etc....... Fit in my dancing already to keep on track.

Thank you for the thoughts on beans and making your own. I tried a few weeks ago, but I'm going to revisit with your method SuzyQ. Scary to see what is in cans!! I thought I was safe with organic.

I keep focusing on one thing and then finding I have another problem in a different direction. Sodium, sugar etc... Hadn't even thought of potasium...... I am having all my blood work redone on Monday. Really hoping the sugar number is going in the right direction. Mamogram on Tuesday. Hate going to those. Freaks me out every time. So I'm glad I put the appointments close together to keep me from "stress eating".

Have a fun day! -
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    ears flopping, nose in the air, feet dancing..

thats me doing the happy dance ala Snoopy for Jane.