Men, how do you feel when you see women in the

Options

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'm also more willing to strike up a friendly conversation with a women lifting free weights as I think she's confident enough to handle something like that. And not just automatically assume that a guy is just flirting into her yoga pants.
  • mkilzer
    Options
    Ironic this topic was posted. I have a little story to share. Last night in my gym's free weight room, I was searching for the other pair of the 25 pound dumbbells to do my shoulder presses. There were 3 guys working out together. The first guy (who intimidates me) saw me searching and found the missing 25-pounder and nicely gave them to me. The second guy was lifting 15 pound dumbbells for his shoulders (I'm assuming he was injured perhaps-- he looked strong. I was surprised when I saw him lifting such low weight). The second guy jokingly made a comment "Do you want to use these?" (the 15 pounders). I felt humiliated and wanted to cry and physically felt like I was about to (in my mind I was thinking-- yep, that's exactly why I get bad anxiety walking into the weight room because I fear of comments like that). The third guy (whom I've always found intriguing and attractive) defended me and firmly said to the guy "That's f-ed up. That weight is too low." I couldn't believe it; that made me feel so special and respected (I'm usually the only girl in the free weight area). I'm not sure if he knew I heard him (I had my ipod on and back was facing him)...but I'd like to thank him for defending me..meant so much. It also made me feel special that these guys were paying attention to how much I'm lifting.

Aside from the physical transformation from lifting heavy from the past year, there's also been an emotional transformation. I'm 5'2, petite, shy, low self esteem, look very young for my age (25 but look like I'm in my teens still)....but the weight room has given me so much confidence...a high...a sense of feeling powerful...guys who show me respect. I was that girl in grade school who got picked last in PE class; was teased often; didn't have a date for senior prom; etc....but here I am lifting heavy with the big boys! I never imagined this would even happen! I love the double glances I sometimes get when they see a little girl in the free weight room...or the confusion...or trying to look at how much weight I'm lifting...or seeing a girl doing compound lifts..haha.
  • rowerrunnercmt
    Options
    I'm just learning how to use weights because of joining a college rowing team (so far we've learned high pulls, dead lifts, squats, things like that)--I can't wait to keep it up at my home gym during the summer!
    I also have used the erg (rowing machine) that's in the free weights area and got a lot of dudes staring at me--I don't care what they think of me, I just wish they weren't so blatantly obvious about it.
    I'm of the mindset that I am going to get my workout in and I don't care what anyone thinks. I'm at the gym for me, not for anyone else.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Well said.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I work out at home on a machine, but I would love free weights. I'm taking note of all the names of the different lifts and stuff so I can google them and hopefully use them soon. :-) Now to win the lottery so I can buy a gym membership. ha!
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights! And that goes for free weights, and using the machines. Unfortunately there are mostly men in the weight room, so I do get some odd/suprised looks sometimes when I'm the only woman pumpin iron with the dudes.
  • Galletakek
    Options
    LOL... I lold @ epic funny comments...

that is all.. :D
  • DirtyHippieFeet
    Options
    I got mad respect in HS for being able to squat more than the football players. Lol. Not so much now, 10 years later, but I'm thinking of adding some of DH's weights to my routine. Not doing it at the gym, though. Maybe when I'm in better shape.
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    I wish the men would think "Oh, I should get out her way while she's lugging equipment into the only room with space, instead of standing in the hallway gawking."
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It depends on what they're doing, and mind you this goes for both men and women. If I see a woman half-assing a work out on a piece of equipment I wouldn't mind using, then I just want them to hurry the hell up and get out of the way. However, if there's a woman who's benching/squatting/deadlifting more than me there....its all good.
  • chiccaroline
    chiccaroline Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I joined a new gym a couple of weeks ago. And I've had several of the PTs come over and introduce themselves purely because firstly I'm the only female they've seen in the weights area, ever, and secondly I'm the only person that does deadlifts, my gym is full of upper body warriors.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, I think "please don't be a Pink Dumbbeller, please don't be a Pink Dumbbeller...."

And when/if she goes for something that isn't the 2.5 lber to do curls or presses, I smile to myself and return to what I was doing. If she does, then she's out of my memory like any of the other men & women on the cardio machines lazily strolling along while Facebooking on their phones. :huh:

Given that you have no idea what level that woman is at, or where she started out, I just don't understand why people look down on the "barbie dumbbells" so much. When I first started working out I would use cans of ravioli because it was what I had in the house to use. And that was HARD! I was that weak!! I now have sets of 2, 3, 5, 8, and 10 lb dumbbells at home, and I use what is appropriate for each exercise based on my current level of strength, buying a new, heavier set when my heavy ones start to feel light.

I get that some people just go for the light weights and do way too many reps with those and aren't making any progress, and that's obviously not desirable. But... you can't just assume that because she reaches for the "pink dumbbells" that she's someone who needs to be labeled as lazy. Everyone has to start somewhere, and unfortunately the fear of being judged this way keeps many people from starting at all. I'm still afraid of using the weights at the gym for this reason, so I do only cardio at the gym and I do strength at home.

same here
    my upper body is very very week
    and im afraid to start weight training because i WILL have to use pink dumbells.
    so i do body pump class right now hoping that there, working out with other women, ill get to the point where i can lift enough not to be afraid to do it in men section
    it's kind of sad, i know
    i should get over this, i know
    but i will be the only women there, the pressure is just to high.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    long story short- my current span of fitness on here was 22 weeks yesterday, give or take.. i've always wanted to lift heavy and get away from the machines.. although i will never shake my newfound love of spinning, i reached out to the head guy at my Y last week. i said i wanted him to teach me the ways of compound lifts: squats, deads, pull ups and before i finished he looked at me as if i were green with antennae and said,'you dont wanna bench do you?!' i said YES! he replied that the machines are all i really needed and if i 'really wanted' him to to show me these he would.. i walked out, feeling deflated, and for a split second i re-evaluated my plans. then i got pissed. how DARE he. the entire time i was talking to him (mind u he isnt cut or ripped in the least and prob has one of those computer online trainer diplomas) i thought what a D-bag i cant believe i even asked you.. fast forward to yesterday: after 3 days of being stood up my my brother in law, i walked in alone. to the 'boys' side. i have spent countless hours the past several days on forums, communities, youtube, etc researching the proper form of each. i saw a lil baby-faced 20-something there, and i asked for some insight. i completed my first day of deads-n-squats and am working on my form... and i have arrived :smokin:
    :heart:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    how do i feel? i feel my shorts getting tighter.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I realize I came to the gym to work on the wrong muscle. LOL

But in all seriousness I think its hot! More woman should lift!!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    As long as they're actually lifting and not in there just taking up space I think its awesome.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Im indifferent. As long as they are doing it right, otherwise I may say something about form to help them because it seems a lot of people just dont care about others. I like to see people succeed.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, I think "please don't be a Pink Dumbbeller, please don't be a Pink Dumbbeller...."

And when/if she goes for something that isn't the 2.5 lber to do curls or presses, I smile to myself and return to what I was doing. If she does, then she's out of my memory like any of the other men & women on the cardio machines lazily strolling along while Facebooking on their phones. :huh:

Given that you have no idea what level that woman is at, or where she started out, I just don't understand why people look down on the "barbie dumbbells" so much. When I first started working out I would use cans of ravioli because it was what I had in the house to use. And that was HARD! I was that weak!! I now have sets of 2, 3, 5, 8, and 10 lb dumbbells at home, and I use what is appropriate for each exercise based on my current level of strength, buying a new, heavier set when my heavy ones start to feel light.

I get that some people just go for the light weights and do way too many reps with those and aren't making any progress, and that's obviously not desirable. But... you can't just assume that because she reaches for the "pink dumbbells" that she's someone who needs to be labeled as lazy. Everyone has to start somewhere, and unfortunately the fear of being judged this way keeps many people from starting at all. I'm still afraid of using the weights at the gym for this reason, so I do only cardio at the gym and I do strength at home.

same here
    my upper body is very very week
    and im afraid to start weight training because i WILL have to use pink dumbells.
    so i do body pump class right now hoping that there, working out with other women, ill get to the point where i can lift enough not to be afraid to do it in men section
    it's kind of sad, i know
    i should get over this, i know
    but i will be the only women there, the pressure is just to high.

I agree with this. I feel like a huge douche because I still have to do knee pushups, but I do em anyway because that's the only way I'll ever work up to regular push ups. Baby steps, everybody has to start somewhere!
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this topic came up as i had a really rubbish time the weight rooms yesterday, we have 1 rack, 1 smith machine and 2 7ft oly bars and 1 6ft bar. before christmas the guys were thin on the ground and i could get to the rack and the bar whenever. Yesterday i set my bar up for deads, turn around to take a mouthful of water and dry my hands, turn back and some guy had taken the bar right from behind me. I asked him what he was doing and was told he was doing timed sets. he had such an attitude i could not be bothered to argue and went down to the cardio area and lifted their but 15kg below what i was schedules to lift.
    I don't really want to go back and suffer the unknown.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    kinda tingly

I have respect for anyone wanting to improve themselves !