Stereotypes are awesome...

Options
123457»

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I am from Texas but I am not redneck, Republican nor racist. I don't have big hair either. Unless I let it air dry but that's only because it's naturally curly.

I am stay at home mom but we are not rich. I fully understand that I am very fortunate to be able to stay at home but this doesn't mean we are swimming in cash. We have had to make sacrifices for me to do this. I always have to stifle a laugh when people say, "Wow, your husband must be loaded." Yeah, no. :laugh:
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how much stereotyping can come from just hair color. Yes, I'm blonde, but that doesn't mean I'm ditzy, dumb, ignorant, clueless, or have the unnatural urge to say "like" every other word. I have my BS in Biology.. I don't care if my nail breaks, and I'll be the first one to volunteer to do something outdoorsy. So, take THAT. :laugh:
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Im from Australia.

No we do not ride kangaroos or emus to work,
    we do not all say "crikey" (most of us do say "mate" though)
    We cant all wrestle crocodiles and carry "this is a knife" knives.

i do happen to have kangaroos in my backyard, but that cause i live in the country.
    and no we do not hunt sith boomerangs and spears (no joke! ive been asked this before!)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Haha this reminded me of what people say to me when I tell them I'm from Alaska. I must have rode a polar bear, lived in an igloo, am an eskimo, drive a dog pulled sled, and it is cold and snows all the time!

When you're from Texas people think everyone wears boots and cowboy hats and ride horses everywhere. :noway:

Also that all southerners are racists. I've met more people from up north who are than down here.

I met a black girl from Philadelphia once, and she was surprised I have black friends. She said up there, black people don't have white friends.

Also "yankee" is just generic for "anyone not from the South". :happy:
    It really isn't about the civil war anymore.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I am from Texas but I am not redneck, Republican nor racist. I don't have big hair either. Unless I let it air dry but that's only because it's naturally curly.

I am stay at home mom but we are not rich. I fully understand that I am very fortunate to be able to stay at home but this doesn't mean we are swimming in cash. We have had to make sacrifices for me to do this. I always have to stifle a laugh when people say, "Wow, your husband must be loaded." Yeah, no. :laugh:

Hahaha! I'm from Texas too... my husband calls us "affluent rednecks"... Oh and we aren't stupid either or devalue education (despite what our politicians do).. I couldn't make my hair "big" even with all the aquanet in the world.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Oh...... you're from England (Wales actually, but that's another story), I met someone from England last Summer, do you know him?

I had this happen in reverse. I started talking to a guy in London and when he found out I'm a Texan he asked me if I knew his friend in Austin. :bigsmile:
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I got married young, so a lot of people assume we have kids....

Because I'm hispanic, I must speak spanish..... Uh...no.... I grew up in the US.

Apparently if you live in Texas and are hispanic, people automatically assume you are Mexican. Not knocking Mexico, but I there are
    other countries between Mexico and South America people!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    "Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes, doesn't mean we go around commiting hate crimes"

~quoteth Avenue Q