Your thighs on cheese... HAHAHA!

Options

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I hope that there are no major health consequences for consuming animals.

Good news! There aren't. We've sort of been doing it since forever..

Yes eating too much can eventually lead to heart trouble or other things, but that's not exclusive to meat. If you think vegans live forever I have bad news to give you.

I agree that the death rate is 100%. So no "news" there.

So you believe there is no link between consuming animals and heart disease?

Nope. Because it's not just "consuming animals". It's a combination of fat stored in the body, lack of exercise, clogged arteries, age, family history, etc. etc. It's not as laughably simple as "eat animals, get heart disease." Because as I previously stated, the entire human species wouldn't have made it if it were.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I actually heard the same NPR story, and with regards to the posting about French women (and French in general), NPR actually had a reporter call the French embassy and get in touch with someone concerning the nutrition patterns of the French and their cheese eating. While Americans tend to eat cheese WITH things: on sandwiches, pizza, cooked with pastas, in casseroles, etc, the French eat their cheese separately, at the end of a meal, INSTEAD of dessert. Secondly, the French eat high quality cheeses, not processed ones. So, just to clarify, yes, the French eat cheese, but Americans eat almost 33% more cheese than the French and of a lower quality. Plus, Americans are likely to eat cheese AND dessert instead of seeing the cheese as dessert.

And, another interesting fact from the program, Americans eat nearly 3 times the amount of cheese today than we did in the 1970s.

Interesting. Thanks for posting this.
  • frogger581
    Options
    no such thing as right and wrong as far as vegan vs. non. if you can tolerate it and enjoy being the pickiest person in the grocery store, mozel tov. if you dont and still get the results you want dont feel obligated to change what youre doing. your body needs the same nutrients whether youre a carnivore, veg or vegan. just make sure you get them.
  • _VoV
    Options
    if someone can explain something to me, please do it. Without offending anyone:

I eat clean and most things in moderataion. Life is too short in a sense to ban something like cheese or chocolate or Insert guilty food pleasure here.

That being said, I have an acquaintance of mine who now turned vegan and all she does it gets on her soap box about how much weight she is losing (she is thin to begin with) doesnt eat cheese, only vegetables and carbs and no dairy and works out for 2 hours a day and has seen so much improvement. I cannot understand this concept for the life of me.

I eat red meat maybe once or twice a month, eat lean proteins, low fat dairy, few carbs, and lots of fruits and veggies. Who is right here and who is wrong on the "healthy way to live"?

New converts of any type can go over-board for a while. She is probably getting results and feeling enthusiastic. I understand not wanting to be preached at. There are many healthy ways to live. If she's a friend, I would set some boundaries and redirect the conversation. With time, she should settle down.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My wife makes an incredible pie with mozzarella cheese.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    The whole thing is a joke IMO. As with all things, moderation.... :smokin:

^^^ this, enough said!
  • _VoV
    Options
    no such thing as right and wrong as far as vegan vs. non. if you can tolerate it and enjoy being the pickiest person in the grocery store, mozel tov. if you dont and still get the results you want dont feel obligated to change what youre doing. your body needs the same nutrients whether youre a carnivore, veg or vegan. just make sure you get them.

If you mean 'picky' in the sense that a person selects carefully from a full acre of food choices, I'm guilty as charged.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I Can assure you I never shot up heroine.

How do you fit her in a spoon and get her to sit while you melt her?
  • AlbertPooHoles
    Options
    I understand not wanting to be preached at. There are many healthy ways to live.
    pot-and-kettle.jpg
  • AlbertPooHoles
    Options
    The whole thing is a joke IMO.
    I wish that it was. It's backed by hardcore vegans with ties to PETA.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Who is right here and who is wrong on the "healthy way to live"?

Everybody has to make that decision for themselves. There is nothing that can be said to a meat-eater to make them change their mind about eating meat. Just like you're not going to tempt a vegan with a steak.

Any dietary changes have to come from within. You have to really want to do what you're doing or you're not going to do it for very long.

Wanna know if your healthy, ask your body. Get your blood work done. Run a mile. There are a bunch of ways to check your health that do not involve weight.

Good luck to you in whatever plan you choose to follow.
  • DavidNewOrleans
    Options
    I bet they were happy when Greenbay lost!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    if someone can explain something to me, please do it. Without offending anyone:

I eat clean and most things in moderataion. Life is too short in a sense to ban something like cheese or chocolate or Insert guilty food pleasure here.

That being said, I have an acquaintance of mine who now turned vegan and all she does it gets on her soap box about how much weight she is losing (she is thin to begin with) doesnt eat cheese, only vegetables and carbs and no dairy and works out for 2 hours a day and has seen so much improvement. I cannot understand this concept for the life of me.

I eat red meat maybe once or twice a month, eat lean proteins, low fat dairy, few carbs, and lots of fruits and veggies. Who is right here and who is wrong on the "healthy way to live"?
    But that's just it - where things take a wrong turn. It's not about being right or wrong. It's about making educated choices for yourself as an adult. You sound like you are making healthy choices that work for you. It is possible your acquaintance is doing the very same thing.

There is no one set eating plan that is best for everyone. There are guidelines that apply to averages. There is the science of calories. But the vegan to paleo spectrum is "right" for different people. For example, I have been on a strict unicorn meat diet for three weeks, and feel great aside from the occasional rainbow bowel movement.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I caught the story yesterday too and thought it interesting, mainly because my family physician has the identical philosophy...he told me once that noone should ever eat cheese because the nutrition in cheese isn't worth the cholesterol and saturated fats that come with consuming it...and most people when they do eat cheese, eat way too much of it. Personally, since I've been tracking my food consumption on MFP, eat alot less cheese now because in my opinion, it's just not worth all those calories and there are many other things I'd rather 'spend' those calories on. I think adapting the 'dessert or cheese' attitude that the French have is probably not a bad way to go...you can either have dessert or cheese, not both.
    This stance is so much more reasonable than the billboards and the NO CHEESE EVER stance.

You said it - cheese can be high in fat and cholesterol. But it has protein and calcium and vitamin mmmm too. Eating too much of many things will cause problems. Cheese is one of those things.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    The whole thing is a joke IMO.
    I wish that it was. It's backed by hardcore vegans with ties to PETA.

PETA?
    tnnew-peta2.jpg
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    oh. vegans.

Hey i'm vegan and I have NOTHING against people eating cheese. I love cottage cheese. as soon as i'm done being vegan the first thing I'll eat is a bowl of cottage cheese with yogurt and cheese sprinkled on top :) It's healthy!!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese every day. I'm not dying, nor am I getting 'fatter'.

If you're alive, you're dying.

You're missing the point.
    I eat cheese everyday and I'm not fat. I've lost weight, not gained. :)
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I would side with the French-and I don't do that often, except when it comes to food. The main issue with how Americans approach cheese is that we barely pay attention to it. If I get a sandwich at Subway they assume I want cheese on it. I have to tell them STOP and don't put cheese on it. I don't like it on my sandwiches or salads. I like it by itself or on a cracker where I can savor the taste of just the cheese.

Beyond that, why aren't those physicians attacking the ice cream and cookie industry? Or maybe go with a classic and show us "Your thighs on beer"? Not that any of it's really their business. Unless they are trying to set themselves up as weight loss experts now AS their business.
  • MattGetsMad
    Options
    Nope. Because it's not just "consuming animals". It's a combination of fat stored in the body, lack of exercise, clogged arteries, age, family history, etc. etc. It's not as laughably simple as "eat animals, get heart disease." Because as I previously stated, the entire human species wouldn't have made it if it were.

Interesting take. Not sure how to follow it though. We would have never made it as a species if eating animals leads to heart disease? That part sounds right, only at first.

To survive, the species most propagate itself. Humans can normally begin making babies right around 13. You don't die of heart disease until a tad later in life than that, so heart disease would not be enough to stop us.

Fat stored in the body and eating animal products have nothing to do with each other??? I'll just give you that one.

Clogged arteries!!! Here we go, I understand this one. Clogged arteries definitely are present in people with heart disease. Clogged arteries are heart disease. Arteries that are clogged are clogged with dietary cholesterol. (Your body makes cholesterol and that cholesterol is necessary, but DOES NOT CLOG ARTERIES)

Age- takes time for that dietary cholesterol to build up and destroy your endothelium!!!

Family History: LOTS of truth here! On your side on this one pal! If there is no history of heart disease in your family anywhere, then you probably won't get it either. For some people, dietary cholesterol does not transfer into artery clogging cholesterol. Those people are super lucky! (my stepdad is one of them)

Exercise is really important too, but more so if you do intend to consume dietary cholesterol as exercise is the best way to control the ratio of bad to good.

I hope you are on of the lucky ones. Good luck to you!
  • MattGetsMad
    Options
    I eat cheese every day. I'm not dying, nor am I getting 'fatter'.

If you're alive, you're dying.

You're missing the point.
    I eat cheese everyday and I'm not fat. I've lost weight, not gained. :)

I'm sorry if anyone thinks I said you can't lose weight while eating animal products. I never said that, nor did I intend to imply it. To lose weight you just have to have a calorie deficit. Pretty simple.
This discussion has been closed.