Your thighs on cheese... HAHAHA!

Options

Replies

• Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    How silly. I eat cheese in small amounts, usually fat-free or part-skim (I especially love Laughing Cow Light mmm). Yes, full-fat cheese isn't very good for you, but it's just silly to single that out.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Unless she is watching her diet with a very serious eye, and probably taking some nutritional supplements (B12 and iron at least), she (like all vegans) is putting herself at risk of serious nutritional deficiencies.

Humans are omnivores. We are not designed to get all of the nutrients we need from plants, the way that cows (ruminants) are, nor are we designed to only digest meat (like, say, cats). Your diet is healthier because it has the potential to provide all of the essential nutrients you need without supplementation or rigorous balancing.

While I agree that some vegans can have issues with nutritional deficiency, so can some omnivores. If all you eat is junkfood every day, you will have nutritional problems.

Absolutely. Not eating a balanced diet will cause nutritional problems, period. But an omnivore with a reasonably balanced diet that includes high quality protein and lots of fruits and vegetables probably has the least to worry about.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Wow....
  • ahmpierce1
    ahmpierce1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying i *never* eat cheese, but very seldom. For this example: Cheese is made from cow's milk. Cow's milk is for baby cows. Why would an adult human need food designed to help a baby cow grow up and be an adult cow? Would you drink a stranger's breast milk? It's meant for baby humans. MILK is not meant to be consumed by adults no matter which'a way you you look at it.

Someones been reading Skinny B*tch
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Nope. Because it's not just "consuming animals". It's a combination of fat stored in the body, lack of exercise, clogged arteries, age, family history, etc. etc. It's not as laughably simple as "eat animals, get heart disease." Because as I previously stated, the entire human species wouldn't have made it if it were.

Interesting take. Not sure how to follow it though. We would have never made it as a species if eating animals leads to heart disease? That part sounds right, only at first.

To survive, the species most propagate itself. Humans can normally begin making babies right around 13. You don't die of heart disease until a tad later in life than that, so heart disease would not be enough to stop us.

Fat stored in the body and eating animal products have nothing to do with each other??? I'll just give you that one.

Clogged arteries!!! Here we go, I understand this one. Clogged arteries definitely are present in people with heart disease. Clogged arteries are heart disease. Arteries that are clogged are clogged with dietary cholesterol. (Your body makes cholesterol and that cholesterol is necessary, but DOES NOT CLOG ARTERIES)

Age- takes time for that dietary cholesterol to build up and destroy your endothelium!!!

Family History: LOTS of truth here! On your side on this one pal! If there is no history of heart disease in your family anywhere, then you probably won't get it either. For some people, dietary cholesterol does not transfer into artery clogging cholesterol. Those people are super lucky! (my stepdad is one of them)

Exercise is really important too, but more so if you do intend to consume dietary cholesterol as exercise is the best way to control the ratio of bad to good.

I hope you are on of the lucky ones. Good luck to you!

Hi there! So ok I grew up in a house eating meat EVERY SINGLE MEAL. Breakfast,lunch dinner all had meat.I still eat that way.
    Im almost 35 and 2 weeks ago got a full physical,choleserol numbers great,blood pressure great,the dr said my heart is as strong as someone 10 years younger than me.100% perfect health even though i eat cheese as well.
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Unless she is watching her diet with a very serious eye, and probably taking some nutritional supplements (B12 and iron at least), she (like all vegans) is putting herself at risk of serious nutritional deficiencies.

Humans are omnivores. We are not designed to get all of the nutrients we need from plants, the way that cows (ruminants) are, nor are we designed to only digest meat (like, say, cats). Your diet is healthier because it has the potential to provide all of the essential nutrients you need without supplementation or rigorous balancing.

While I agree that some vegans can have issues with nutritional deficiency, so can some omnivores. If all you eat is junkfood every day, you will have nutritional problems.

I am a vegan and just got my blood work back. I don't pay particularly special attention to my diet and I take a children's multi-vitamin daily. My levels are perfect -- iron, b12, protein. I'm as healthy as I've ever been. And despite not losing a lot of scale weight my cholesterol and trycliderides have also gone down.

Eating a vegan diet is very simple and not at all difficult.

However... living a vegan lifestyle is very different than eating a plant based diet. Which is what caddymatt was trying to distinguish himself from. He's a very inspirational person. He has lost a lot of weight and gotten healthier by adopting a plant-based diet.

However, he does not classify himself as vegan and that is OK.

This.

Humans can easily survive and THRIVE on a vegan diet. We can get ALL of our nutrients from a plant-based diet. Even B12! If we didn't have to wash our produce so thouroughly due to all the trash in our environment (pesticides, fertilizers, etc.), we would get the B12 there; it is found in the soil. So, it's only because humans have screwed that up that we can't get ALL of our nutrients from a plant-based diet without supplements. But, there are still plenty of ways to get ALL the nutrients you need on a vegan diet without tracking every nutrient you consume and taking multiple pills. So, I think it's pure idiocy to say that all vegans are putting themselves at risk of serious nutritional deficiencies. No, very few are. Just like very few omnivores are.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

I am a vegan and just got my blood work back. I don't pay particularly special attention to my diet and I take a children's multi-vitamin daily. My levels are perfect -- iron, b12, protein. I'm as healthy as I've ever been. And despite not losing a lot of scale weight my cholesterol and trycliderides have also gone down.

Eating a vegan diet is very simple and not at all difficult.

However... living a vegan lifestyle is very different than eating a plant based diet. Which is what caddymatt was trying to distinguish himself from. He's a very inspirational person. He has lost a lot of weight and gotten healthier by adopting a plant-based diet.

However, he does not classify himself as vegan and that is OK.

This.

Humans can easily survive and THRIVE on a vegan diet. We can get ALL of our nutrients from a plant-based diet. Even B12! If we didn't have to wash our produce so thouroughly due to all the trash in our environment (pesticides, fertilizers, etc.), we would get the B12 there; it is found in the soil. So, it's only because humans have screwed that up that we can't get ALL of our nutrients from a plant-based diet without supplements. But, there are still plenty of ways to get ALL the nutrients you need on a vegan diet without tracking every nutrient you consume and taking multiple pills. So, I think it's pure idiocy to say that all vegans are putting themselves at risk of serious nutritional deficiencies. No, very few are. Just like very few omnivores are.

100% agree! Except there are no such things as omnivores. Herbivores eat most, or all vegetables. Carnivores eat mostly meat, or all meat. A mouse can eat meat and a wofl can eat berries. I have yet to hear a good definition of an omnivore. Eventually, a herbivore, such as a human who eats too much meat will develop a chronic disease. A true carnivore never will, even if it eats hundreds of times as much cholesterol as normal.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    FearanLothin, I am happy for you that you had a great phsyical at 35. Considering your diet I hope you live to 65. Most chronic diseases caused by eating meat do not present at 35 but later, although of course that is not always true.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I'm not saying i *never* eat cheese, but very seldom. For this example: Cheese is made from cow's milk. Cow's milk is for baby cows. Why would an adult human need food designed to help a baby cow grow up and be an adult cow? Would you drink a stranger's breast milk? It's meant for baby humans. MILK is not meant to be consumed by adults no matter which'a way you you look at it.

Someones been reading Skinny B*tch

no, never have. this has been my viewpoint for the past 40 years.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    FearanLothin, I am happy for you that you had a great phsyical at 35. Considering your diet I hope you live to 65. Most chronic diseases caused by eating meat do not present at 35 but later, although of course that is not always true.

well lets see i come from a family of meat eaters my grandma lived to 75,my other grandma 73,my great grandma 99.all meat eaters who died from nothing people "claim" is related to eating meat.my moms 63 and in perfect health,my grandfather lived to his 70s the other granfatherdied fairly early but that was from lung cancer.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    How nice. I am 68, I work full time. I work out two hours a day at least 5 days a week, my mother lived to 90, my father who ate a lot of meat lived to 78, my wife who is vegan, had a vegetarian mother who lived to 92, a father who ate meat who live to his sixties, and.... do I see a pattern here. We all die sometime. The question is how fast do you want to die.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    How nice. I am 68, I work full time. I work out two hours a day at least 5 days a week, my mother lived to 90, my father who ate a lot of meat lived to 78, my wife who is vegan, had a vegetarian mother who lived to 92, a father who ate meat who live to his sixties, and.... do I see a pattern here. We all die sometime. The question is how fast do you want to die.

I hae no desire to make it to my 90s. I think its funny that if its something that will kill me how am i showing NO signs of this. How did my gg make it to 99 only to die in a car accident in great health?

oh an once again they all died from things that have nothing to do with what they ate.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I eat meat and cheese. I even put cheese in my apple pies. Oh the horror. mmmmmm
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

I hae no desire to make it to my 90s. I think its funny that if its something that will kill me how am i showing NO signs of this. How did my gg make it to 99 only to die in a car accident in great health?

oh an once again they all died from things that have nothing to do with what they ate.

If you don't want to live, then you are on a perfect diet. The point I was trying to make (but obviously failed) was that information about your family, as well as about mine, is anecdotal. It means nothing. It is not a study. Studies, following general populations, indicate that eating meat results in chronic diseases and shortens life. Of course, there are also some studies about SPECIFIC populations such as Inuit and Lapplanders who have a heavy meat diet but are not genetically predisposed towards colon cancer or heart disease. These populations can get away with it, but they are a tiny, tiny minority. Over thousands of years living in a hostile environment, these specific populations have become genetically altered to be able to tolerate a meat diet. Humans are herbivores, and as a species cannot tolerate large amounts of meat. There are many,many studies that show this going back to 1948. Here are some of the important ones:

http://www.healingcancernaturally.com/vegetarians-live-longer.html

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/nutrition-advice-from-the-china-study/

http://www.framinghamheartstudy.org/about/history.html

Anatomically as well, our bodies are the bodies of herivores. Our dentition, mandibular structure, intestines, etc. are those of herbivores, not carnivores. While it is true that a herbivore species such as mouse can tolerate meat, it can only do so for a short time without developing chronic life shortening diseases.

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1743-7075/6/43

The science is strong showing meat, particularly in the portions eaten by modern Americans is harmful. Our ancestors probably lived on a mostly vegetarian diet, occasionally supplementing that with worms, insects, grubs and carrion. We are not meant to eat meat (and probably cheese as well), and for most of us a diet of animal products will shorten our lives.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I do believe there is more to it than just what you eat. There are also heriditary issues to consider. My boyfriend (who is 33) went to high school with a guy that was in fantastic shape and ate good daily - but has been dead for years due to a heart attack. To argue which diet is better (vegan, vegetarian, carnivore, etc) is ridiculous in my opinion, especially since the chances of changing the oposing side's mind is almost zero to one. To each their own. I will never try to go completely vegetarian. I like meat and cheese and yogurt, and many other foods vegans don't eat. Furthermore, it's my body, so if I want to stuff that bad "saturated fat and cholesterol" into my body once a day in the form of a less than 1 oz of string cheese, then so be it. All I know is I am continuing to lose weight at the moment, so something's working.

I could eat what some may consider a "perfect diet" and exercise exactly as prescribed but still get some type of cancer by the time I'm 40 and die before I'm 45. As someone mentioned earlier, we're all going to die eventually. Of course, I hope it's much later down the road rather than sooner, and that's what I'm making a concious effort to cut back on certain foods and change my overall lifestyle. I'm not going to cut out things I truly enjoy (in moderation) because someone preaches to me about the horrors of stuffing my face with those bad maconutrients. And this is coming from a HUGE animal lover who donates money to various organizations and charities to help homeless animals, etc. While I love animals and think someone should be set on fire if they torture or abuse an animal, it won't stop me from eating cow and chicken or some pig from time to time. People in the stone ages ate what they could find. Other animals eat other animals. It's just the food chain in my eyes. As long as I don't see Betsy the cow and pet her before she turns into my sirloin steak, I'm okay with that. I'm sure I'll be ripped to pieces and called all kinds of names now because I have a different viewpoint than someone else. Opinions are like a**holes; everybody's got one.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    All I gotta say is...

DEATH BY CHEESE
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    All this talk of what "our ancestors" ate... I just have a hard time wrapping myself around the caveman diet when this was their ideal woman.

Venus_of_Willendorf.jpg

Quite frankly... I prefer my thighs on cheese. :laugh:

On the other hand, the cuisine enjoyed by ancient Greeks was bread, wine, cheese, meats, and fruits and vegetables.

B6CYF00Z.jpg
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    The whole thing is a joke IMO. As with all things, moderation.... :smokin:

What about crack??? Ok, so long as it's in moderation?

Sure, why not. Same with drinking. I am not capable of drinking in moderation, but some people can, so they can do it. If you can smoke crack in moderation, then hey, thats great.

Stupid analogy by the way. To compare cheese to crack is beyond idiotic.

All the vegans I know are either addicts or recovering addicts (and please make sure you all pay attention to the part "I KNOW" not all in general) One of them said, yeah, I was a vegan so I could shoot up heroine and look down on people for eating a cheese burger.

interesting.. im a vegan myself and an addict in and out of recovery unfortunately..i dont do it to make myself feel better about the whole heroin thing more to try and be as healthy as possible. however i must say that when i use i eat HORRIBLEY if i eat anything at all.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    @April522 who said, "As long as I don't see Betsy the cow and pet her before she turns into my sirloin steak, I'm okay with that." This statement suggests awareness of Betsy's suffering. It just makes me feel sad to read this. No name-calling here. Just my honest reaction.

I'm not going to argue the health advantages of one diet over another. I am a vegan because I feel it's the most compassionate, environmentally-sensitive way to feed myself. The cheese and veal industries are intimately linked. I think veal is the most repugnant of all meats, and I don't want to subsidize the practice of making calves anemic and slaughtering them as babies by eating cheese.

As a vegan, I am not okay with many of the public campaigns, including this PCRM one, designed to convince people that eating animal products means you will get fat. There are fat vegans--I know because I am one. And there are slim omnivores. Calories are calories and if they taste good and you overeat them you will get fat. End of story.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to argue the health advantages of one diet over another. I am a vegan because I feel it's the most compassionate, environmentally-sensitive way to feed myself. The cheese and veal industries are intimately linked. I think veal is the most repugnant of all meats, and I don't want to subsidize the practice of making calves anemic and slaughtering them as babies by eating cheese.

As a vegan, I am not okay with many of the public campaigns, including this PCRM one, designed to convince people that eating animal products means you will get fat. There are fat vegans--I know because I am one. And there are slim omnivores. Calories are calories and if they taste good and you overeat them you will get fat. End of story.

This ^^...!!! 1000 times this.
This discussion has been closed.