Your thighs on cheese... HAHAHA!

Options
So, I saw an MFP friend or someone on the boards mention this in passing - those billboards that are going up with anti-cheese sentiment. I heard a story about it on NPR yesterday evening while coming home from class and thought I'd share. It's baffling that a group of physicians are behind the billboards... the link below has the story, pictures of the billboards, and the 4 minute audio segment from the radio broadcast. Wow... according to them, we should NEVER want to eat cheese because it's just so bad for us. LOL

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/02/02/146299792/billboards-slather-on-the-guilt-with-anti-cheese-campaign

Replies

• nallbaby10
    Options
    i didnt have any dairy for 2 months n diddnt notice any real difference, only stopped eating it cuz my son whom im nursing couldnt tolerate it, just starting adding it back and no weight change lol. everything in moderation is what i think.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I love cheese and will never give it up. But in saying that, it is also hard to eat in moderation. A "moderate" serving of cheese is the size of 2 dice cubes, why the hell eat cheese if I am going to that much of it. I would rather go with out meat than cheese any day.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    They're put up by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), a vegan advocacy group.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    oh. vegans.
  • PompousClock
    Options
    I'd say the thighs of the average cheese-eating French woman would beg to differ with this group's anti-cheese stance. If they can eat cheese and drink wine and still be fit, then so can I. All things in moderation, even moderation itself.
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am not giving up my artisan cheese shops just because somebody 'thinks' it bad. Moderation is the key.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The whole thing is a joke IMO. As with all things, moderation.... :smokin:
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options

What about crack??? Ok, so long as it's in moderation?
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    :huh: Seriously...:laugh: I have always eaten at least one serving of cheese every day and I have lost over 100 pounds. I love feta, cream cheese, and cheddar to a lesser extent. I can see how it is easy to add extra calories to a dish with cheese but as long as you are careful with portion size, and not just loading a pound of it onto a recipe, I don't see the problem.
  • rcallbeck
    rcallbeck Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Any "doctor" that suggests whole-sale prohibition of a food like that sounds might "quack-ers" to me... Moderation is key, definitely. That, and eating whole (natural) foods/cheeses... definitely not highly processed velveeta's or Kraft single slices...
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Sure, why not. Same with drinking. I am not capable of drinking in moderation, but some people can, so they can do it. If you can smoke crack in moderation, then hey, thats great.

Stupid analogy by the way. To compare cheese to crack is beyond idiotic.

All the vegans I know are either addicts or recovering addicts (and please make sure you all pay attention to the part "I KNOW" not all in general) One of them said, yeah, I was a vegan so I could shoot up heroine and look down on people for eating a cheese burger.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

WAITTAMINIT!

Isn't that how we are all losing weight? Right?
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I actually heard the same NPR story, and with regards to the posting about French women (and French in general), NPR actually had a reporter call the French embassy and get in touch with someone concerning the nutrition patterns of the French and their cheese eating. While Americans tend to eat cheese WITH things: on sandwiches, pizza, cooked with pastas, in casseroles, etc, the French eat their cheese separately, at the end of a meal, INSTEAD of dessert. Secondly, the French eat high quality cheeses, not processed ones. So, just to clarify, yes, the French eat cheese, but Americans eat almost 33% more cheese than the French and of a lower quality. Plus, Americans are likely to eat cheese AND dessert instead of seeing the cheese as dessert.

And, another interesting fact from the program, Americans eat nearly 3 times the amount of cheese today than we did in the 1970s.
  • kellyhogg
    kellyhogg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    oh. vegans.

:laugh:
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    oh. vegans.

Oh yes.... Such evil people watching out for the environment and peope's health ((shudder))
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

Sure, why not. Same with drinking. I am not capable of drinking in moderation, but some people can, so they can do it. If you can smoke crack in moderation, then hey, thats great.

All the vegans I know are either addicts or recovering addicts (and please make sure you all pay attention to the part "I KNOW" not all in general) One of them said, yeah, I was a vegan so I could shoot up heroine and look down on people for eating a cheese burger.

I was a vegan or almost twenty years. I Can assure you I never shot up heroine.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    oh. vegans.

This made me do a loud shrieking laugh hahaha.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Someone's playing a little D-FENSE!

Anyway, back to my beyond idiotic comparison: Some of us plant eaters think the way you guys talk about your meat and cheese sounds pretty similar to drug addicts. The game we play (an I'm letting you in on a little secret here) is to substitute whatever animal product you are defending be it beef, pork, or in this case cheese with a drug.

Then when people talk about it, we laugh.

"I love my _____ and I can't live without it"

"If anyone told me to stop _________ completely I'd call them a quack"

"maybe you can't handle ______, but I can. I'm fine and you don't know what your talking about"

Do I need to go on?

Anyway, you all eat whatever you want. Go on calling vegans drug addicts (they are pretty sensitive you know) and I hope that in the end everybody is right! I hope that there are no major health consequences for consuming animals. I hope that the #1 killer in the US (heart disease) really doesn't have anything to do with dietary cholesterol intake or saturated fat.

Maybe plant eaters are way too extreme and everyone can be healthy with their "moderation"

I wish you all nothing but the best with whatever health plan you follow!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

WHAT???? Explain this to me!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    So, I saw an MFP friend or someone on the boards mention this in passing - those billboards that are going up with anti-cheese sentiment. I heard a story about it on NPR yesterday evening while coming home from class and thought I'd share. It's baffling that a group of physicians are behind the billboards... the link below has the story, pictures of the billboards, and the 4 minute audio segment from the radio broadcast. Wow... according to them, we should NEVER want to eat cheese because it's just so bad for us. LOL

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/02/02/146299792/billboards-slather-on-the-guilt-with-anti-cheese-campaign

I'm pretty sure that fewer than 5% of PCRM members are actually physicians. Do a little research on PCRM and you'll probably find that they're not exactly who they say they are.
This discussion has been closed.