Fat Burners...what's hot, what's not???

Options

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Diet pills don't work for everyone. Neither does just plain ol' exercise and eating right. Trial and error

show me a person that can't lose weight with "plain ol' exercise and eating right" and i'll show you someone that isn't trying hard enough.

“When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”

That's because people are inherently lazy. Everyone wants the easy way...

ETA: I should have said: Mr. Engineman & The Mayor have spoken.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything OTC. I've been as low as 130 lbs and as high as 325 lbs.

I finally found one that is working wonders..its kind of a slow and steady loss.

Its called HARDwork. I use it with a healthy diet and weight resistance and am on my way to a permanent healthy lifestyle change. And..it doesnt make me speed talk like a crack addict.:flowerforyou:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    So I was going to quote engineman for truth as for real, anyone eating right and exercising that isn't losing weight isn't trying hard enough. My step mother has been doing Jenny Craig since before I got married about 3 years ago. She'd been going to Curves since years before that. In that time, she gained at least 50 pounds on her 5' frame. Recently she had back surgery and has had several joints replaced due to her obesity. Must be that Jenny Craig and Curves don't work cuz she tried them a long:noway: time, didn't she? You sure as sheet can't tell her that maybe she needs to not see the awful Jenny Craig meals as appetizers for her Outback Steakhouse ridiculousness. Or that, if she gets a vent mocha frappa-whatever it is on the way back from Curves where she really didn't break a sweat, she's missing the damn point.

Any one who exercises and eats right will lose weight. You aren't losing weight, then you have to look at whether you're kidding yourself about one of those two things. That's why tracking food on MFP, getting a HRM, signing up for an event, following an exercise plan, following some hare-brained or not-so-hare-brained food plan, all of these things can help. But you have to want it enough to do the work. If you're still wanting to do the work only enough to sort of say so ["I went to curves today" she says while downing In-N-Out] and have the rest of the work done for you by downing some magic pill. Go ahead. I don't know you, and based on how you interact with people on this thread, I don't like you very much. Take the pills.

So that's what I was going to say. Then tmfpartyof4 said what she said. Now all I can say is that she gave you a gift by sharing that, and a bit of human kindness towards you returned fleetingly so I can say, I hope you listen to tmfpartyof4.
    I think i love you.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    So I was going to quote engineman for truth as for real, anyone eating right and exercising that isn't losing weight isn't trying hard enough. My step mother has been doing Jenny Craig since before I got married about 3 years ago. She'd been going to Curves since years before that. In that time, she gained at least 50 pounds on her 5' frame. Recently she had back surgery and has had several joints replaced due to her obesity. Must be that Jenny Craig and Curves don't work cuz she tried them a long:noway: time, didn't she? You sure as sheet can't tell her that maybe she needs to not see the awful Jenny Craig meals as appetizers for her Outback Steakhouse ridiculousness. Or that, if she gets a vent mocha frappa-whatever it is on the way back from Curves where she really didn't break a sweat, she's missing the damn point.

Any one who exercises and eats right will lose weight. You aren't losing weight, then you have to look at whether you're kidding yourself about one of those two things. That's why tracking food on MFP, getting a HRM, signing up for an event, following an exercise plan, following some hare-brained or not-so-hare-brained food plan, all of these things can help. But you have to want it enough to do the work. If you're still wanting to do the work only enough to sort of say so ["I went to curves today" she says while downing In-N-Out] and have the rest of the work done for you by downing some magic pill. Go ahead. I don't know you, and based on how you interact with people on this thread, I don't like you very much. Take the pills.

So that's what I was going to say. Then tmfpartyof4 said what she said. Now all I can say is that she gave you a gift by sharing that, and a bit of human kindness towards you returned fleetingly so I can say, I hope you listen to tmfpartyof4.
    I think i love you.

SHE'S MINE!!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Google the side effects and take a good long read. Still sound like something you'd like to put into your body?

What works for you may be deadly to the next person. What works for them might be deadly to you. I second the poster asking "If fat burners and diet pills worked why would there be so many overweight people?"

Just as an FYI... most if not all over the counter fat burners and diet pills ARE NOT APPROVED FOR SALE BY THE FDA. Doesn't sound very safe now does it.

I realize you had a disclaimer so please don't keep saying it as I'm sure most of us here can read. However this is a public forum as others have said and we are all allowed to have our own opinions and beliefs and we can express them if we see fit.

Exercise and eat right. Count everything and measure everything. Make an honest effort and you'll lose weight... free of charge.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Diet pills don't work for everyone. Neither does just plain ol' exercise and eating right. Trial and error

show me a person that can't lose weight with "plain ol' exercise and eating right" and i'll show you someone that isn't trying hard enough.

“When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”

Not neccessarily true; two years ago I tried very hard to lose weight with proper diet and excercise. Was working out at the gym 6 days a week, twice a week with a PT, went to Weight Watchers, measured all my food, etc, with very little success. Got very discouraged and threw in the towel.

Over the past year, through much trial and error on my own, and several medical tests, what I discovered was that my body does not handle wheat very well. I am not celiac, and medical testing also didn't show an intolerence to wheat; however, on my own I decided to cut out the most obvious wheat containing foods...and voila...my diet and excercise efforts are now starting to pay off.

Everyone's body is different I guess...we all just have to find what works for us. I also found a book called "Wheat Belly" very helpful; it started me down the path to self discovery. :happy:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/478231-fat-burners-what-s-hot-what-s-not

What's with people and the duplicate threads today?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Well they all work. The more expensive ones work faster. That's why there are no fat people, and rich people are the skinniest.
  • engineman312
    Options

Not neccessarily true; two years ago I tried very hard to lose weight with proper diet and excercise. Was working out at the gym 6 days a week, twice a week with a PT, went to Weight Watchers, measured all my food, etc, with very little success. Got very discouraged and threw in the towel.

Over the past year, through much trial and error on my own, and several medical tests, what I discovered was that my body does not handle wheat very well. I am not celiac, and medical testing also didn't show an intolerence to wheat; however, on my own I decided to cut out the most obvious wheat containing foods...and voila...my diet and excercise efforts are now starting to pay off.

Everyone's body is different I guess...we all just have to find what works for us. I also found a book called "Wheat Belly" very helpful; it started me down the path to self discovery. :happy:

dude, thats not even on the same page. you had an issue with wheat, you cut it out of your diet, and there you go, weight loss. but there was no magic pill.
  • msnewbootie
    msnewbootie Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My trainer and nutrionist recommends ON Thermal Cuts. I have a few weeks of Oxy Elite Pro I'm going to finish up then moving to Thermal Cuts.

Great...I'll research them further!
  • msnewbootie
    Options
    OP, don't want to answer my question? I've asked twice now.. And if you could give me a legit answer, I'd go right ahead and retract everything I've said up to this point.

I'll repeat it for you one..more..time.

If diet pills worked, would anyone be fat?

My dear Kate, I guess you struggled with Eng 101...I answered your question at 8:57am!
  • msnewbootie
    Options
    You can't come on a Fitness Forum and expect people not to post their dissenting opinions. Just saying "Don't post here if you don't agree," only encourages more arguing. I would never have posted on this if not for the OP's argumentative, controlling style. :laugh:

Exercise and healthy foods within a reasonable calorie deficit work just as well as Fat Burners.

I've tried several. They do curb your hunger. You can't take them forever. They are expensive, and deprive you of needed nutrients.. Much smarter just to learn to control your eating in a natural way.

I would never take them again.
    Point taken. Thanks! Your opinion is appreciated because you have tried them, but just decided they are not for you! Cool!
  • msnewbootie
    Options
    i am new here.

I am here because I am 258 (now).

I am 258 because I took diet pills to get to 172 (my high range for normal) and It curbed my appetite. I stayed there until I was in the hospital and forced to make a decision. Eat right, or die.

The weight came back on twice as fast, and it is twice as hard to get off now.

I hope this works for you, but I cannot see how the pills work in the long term. I just cant.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for your input and sorry for what u experienced! again, good point, but wrong thread! This thread is about diff kinds that work, not about convincing me to avoid! But, thanks tho and good luck to you!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My trainer and nutrionist recommends ON Thermal Cuts. I have a few weeks of Oxy Elite Pro I'm going to finish up then moving to Thermal Cuts.

Get a new trainer and nutritionist, as that stuff is garbage. It's main ingredient is HCA which while shown to be possibly effective in mice, it has been shown to do nothing in humans
  • msnewbootie
    Options
    I can't be much help with fat burners in pill/liquid form, but I can say that (and my mum read this in the newspaper - The Telegraph, in case anyone asks - so I can't guarantee I've read it or that it's true) probably a year or two back the newspaper had an article saying how eating half a grapefruit in the morning boosts your metabolism more then eating the average breakfast (once again not saying it's true, but it's worth considering if you like grapefruit isn't is), now I don't actually know what a fat burner is, but I can imagen it does something along those lines. And like another poster said chilli's are another natural fat burner (or once again what I would consider to be a fat burner). And I'm not sure, but in Holland and Barrett (UK health food and supplement store) they sell something with apple cider vinegar in to aid with weight-loss, once again don't know if it was for weight-loss or fat burning (and don't know the difference either sorry) so I'd imagen you could buy some apple cider vinegar and if you liked it use it as dressings on salads, and if you disliked it used it in cooking, although someone did mention on a thread about vinegar's that they are acids so they can (and will in the long run) do damage if consumed excessively.

Now before you say that I ignored your disclaimer I didn't, but you didn't post about whether you wanted natural or chemical enhanced fat burners so I figured I'd give my very small two cents anyway. And also I don't hate natural weight loss aids, I don't use the one I use because it's a weight loss aid, I use it because the ingredients in it work like prune juice, and I hate the taste of prunes but need them (doctors did prescribe me chemicals to take but as soon as my mum and I found something all natural that would work instead of them - Chinese herbalist thank you - I switched). And I just tried to make that last sentence as un-embarrassing as possible, didn't really work!

Woo hoo! Thanks a million! I love your post. U did not simply go against, but offered natural "fat-burners" that can enhance my already "healthy" lifestyle! This is what I am looking for....other options!
    Thanks again!
  • engineman312
    Options

Get a new trainer and nutritionist, as that stuff is garbage. It's main ingredient is HCA which while shown to be possibly effective in mice, it has been shown to do nothing in humans

effective in mice?!?!!? i'm sold.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    cocaine! Worked for me in the 80's! :tongue:
  • msnewbootie
    Options
    I take a Green Tea Fat Burner supplement when I feel draggy and not in the mood to work out or I need an energy boost at school or something. If I take one 20 mins before a workout, I'll workout like a badass and feel great! They're super cheap - like 9 bucks for a huge bottle at walmart. I don't think I could make myself spend a bunch of money on a diet pill. Oh and it says on the bottle to take 2 in the am and 2 in the afternoon, but I just take one a couple times a week to kick my butt into gear if I need it and that's plenty for me. :)

Thanks! I actually tried them and didnt feel any different, so gave up! But, good luck on your fitness journey!
  • msnewbootie
    Options

Is this a fact or an opinion? Um....I think opinion!
    Thanks kiddo!
  • msnewbootie
    Options

Glad you are a fan and like to follow my leads! Thanks