what are people's thoughts about the paleo diet

Options

Replies

• mikefarinha
    mikefarinha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Interesting conversation going on here! I'm new to this site and like this back and forth exchange! I have my own two cents which I'll post up later :-)
  • MsMo4DE
    Options
    hey just trying to get a feel for what people think about the paleo diet so please let me know what your thoughts are on it

I would follow it more, but I like to eat larger amounts of veggies (especially raw) and eat less meat. Unfortunately, with the higher fat (even though they're mostly EFA's) with my lack of gall bladder, it puts me in a bad state. Other than that, I'm all for it. Dr Mecola highly recommends people with hypothyroid (which I have) to go on that diet.
  • mikefarinha
    mikefarinha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    MsMo,

The Primal Blueprint suggests that veggies should be the bulk of the diet by volume and meat should be the bulk of the diet by calories.
  • MsMo4DE
    Options
    MsMo,

The Primal Blueprint suggests that veggies should be the bulk of the diet by volume and meat should be the bulk of the diet by calories.

I'll have to go back to Dr Mercola's website and look at it more. I was sure that the ratio was approx 30-35% plant and 65-70% meat.

My son has Asperger's so with both our ailments we should follow it more. We already Eat Clean and are pretty much gluten/grain free anyway. We've never been heavy dairy eaters and make our own almond milk. I like using coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk in all my recipes.

I would like to suggest people to watch Food Matters, Food Inc, Ingredients and get better educated on GMO's and learn more about what's in processed food.

I don't follow any particular diet but I use food as medicine. I take what works for me out of everything that I incorporate into our lifestyle, including veganism, vegetarianism, paleo, raw food etc.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    to the pro paleo kids: Can you please explain why asians are thin? (compared to the western world)

Because as a general rule they eat more rice and less to no wheat (traditionally) and their diet is basically for the most part unprocessed otherwise. Lots of meat and vegtables and really not a ton of sugar. That is changing though as you see a more and more western style of eating creeping into Asia, the rate of obesity is actually on the rise in Japan, China and Korea.

Of grains rice is considered the most neutral.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-asian-paradox-how-can-asians-eat-so-much-rice-and-not-gain-weight/#axzz1mfveCAhz

Again, carbs in general are not necessarily the enemy its the kind of carbs that you eat. If you are getting them from vegtables, some fruits and nuts it is defientaly not the same as getting the same amount from white sugar or a soft drink.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Again, carbs in general are not necessarily the enemy its the kind of carbs that you eat. If you are getting them from vegtables, some fruits and nuts it is defientaly not the same as getting the same amount from white sugar or a soft drink.

What will make you fatter, 300 calories of white bread or 300 calories of coconut oil?
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    A lot of Asian foods and staples have plenty of gluten
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

What will make you fatter, 300 calories of white bread or 300 calories of coconut oil?

Whichever one has the worse hormonal effect on the body. So for someone with insulin resistance, probably the 300 calories of white bread. Even if it doesn't directly add more weight, it can stimulate further eating in these individuals.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Whichever one has the worse hormonal effect on the body. So for someone with insulin resistance, probably the 300 calories of white bread. Even if it doesn't directly add more weight, it can stimulate further eating in these individuals.

Yet studies comparing high carb to low carb diets show equal amounts of weight loss. How is that possible?
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    In theory its great, in practice the reality is that in todays world with all its temptations its next to impossible to maintain this diet long term. I tried it for 3 months. Worked ok, but after 3 months I went on a non paleo binge. The longest anybody I know has gone on this is 6 months. Just like the Atkins diet lots of folks swear by it but when asked if they are still doing it the answer is NO.

Disagree. I find that most people who do Atkins do it wrong and try to stay on induction for their entire weight loss. That's not Atkins. Atkins is only super low-carb for the first two weeks and then one is supposed to go into the OWL phase (on-going weight loss) where they gradually raise the daily carb level to find the sweet spot where they can still lose weight without having binges triggered. I don't think it's all that unusual to find that some people can still lose on Atkins eating 80, 100, 120 grams/carb daily. For many of us, that's a very sustainable level. And then, once one is in maintenance, they raise the carb level further until they find the level that allows them to easily maintain. Of course, this should be higher than the carb level eaten during the OWL phase. Again, a very sustainable level.

I think few of us do any diet perfectly (not counting a few that seem to thrive on extreme discipline). I allow myself splurges with my favorite baked goods, etc., once in awhile that puts me way over my carb target. I feel better when I don't do it but I love the taste and feel deprived without indulging once in awhile. But I would feel that way if I was just eating in moderation, too. I think most people who practice moderate eating have occasional times of indulgence as well.

And, even though I watch my carbs, I still need to watch my calories.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    to the pro paleo kids: Can you please explain why asians are thin? (compared to the western world)

Because as a general rule they eat more rice and less to no wheat (traditionally) and their diet is basically for the most part unprocessed otherwise. Lots of meat and vegtables and really not a ton of sugar. That is changing though as you see a more and more western style of eating creeping into Asia, the rate of obesity is actually on the rise in Japan, China and Korea.

Of grains rice is considered the most neutral.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-asian-paradox-how-can-asians-eat-so-much-rice-and-not-gain-weight/#axzz1mfveCAhz

lol at Sission, I liked how he carefully avoided mentioned how insulinogenic white rice is, after demonizing in other parts of his site, see his Cho curve for weight loss among other things.

just like oh processed foods are bad, but here buy my multi processed and overpriced whey pfft
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Ok let's rephrase that question, which is more likely to be stored as fat, the oil or the white bread?
  • funkycamper
    Options

Yet studies comparing high carb to low carb diets show equal amounts of weight loss. How is that possible?

I agree with you for someone who doesn't have insulin resistance, If they ate at the same calorie level, whether low-carb or high-carb, weight loss would probably be the same.

But, for me, I can't successfully do the higher-carb eating plan because my insulin resistance means that my body would continue to produce insulin to bring down my blood sugar levels at a much higher rate than someone who doesn't have insulin resistance. After enough insulin is finally produced to break through the resistance, my body would be flooded with too much insulin which then makes my blood sugar drop way too low thus requiring me to eat even if I wasn't hungry even moments before in order to bring my blood sugar level back up in order to keep me from shaking uncontrollably, my eyesight blurring, emotions getting ugly, and other nasty symptoms. If I used a higher-carb food to bring my blood sugar level back up, the cycle would continue. There would be no way I could keep to the lower calorie level needed to lose weight if I did this.
  • funkycamper
    Options

Ok let's rephrase that question, which is more likely to be stored as fat, the oil or the white bread?

300 calories is 300 calories. So, again, in a person who does not have a problem properly metabolizing higher carbs, there would be no long-term difference. For those of us who would get on the blood sugar rise/crash roller-coaster, it wouldn't be that first 300 calories of bread that would cause a gain but, rather, the increased eating needed to bring the blood sugar back up later after the crash.
  • MsMo4DE
    Options
    I posted much earlier in this thread and went back to Dr Mercola's site to further my knowledge and look for something that really stuck out. I couldn't find it anymore~it was removed from that particular page. However, I was able to link to this blogger, who is also a respected, highly educated with lots of degrees and is a nutritionist and former Paleo dieter for 14 yrs:

I found this blog fascinating, you should read it when you have time. His wife's blog is quite interesting as well.

http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2011/06/farewell-to-paleo.html

I love his ending paragaraph:

"Hence, my farewell to popularized paleo. I hope all “paleo,” “primal,” and “hunter-gatherer” dieters fare well in their quest for health. So long as what you do continues to work for you, keep doing it. I hope that you have the knowledge, clarity of mind, and subtlety of awareness to notice the early signs of malfunction before you succumb to something serious and beyond repair. I have a series of blogs forthcoming on this topic, outlining the Oriental medical understanding of the progression of disease from minor to major, which Chinese physicians have used for millenia to help people reverse and prevent diet-related diseases. "

Reading this blog confirmed that not all "diets" is a cure all and made me glad that I take the best part of several "diet" lifestyles as I stated earlier in this thread and disregard the rest. People have so many ailments, food allergies/intolerances nowadays. Do what works for you and your body. Listen to it and do what you need to do to make yourself feel good. No one can tolerate the same thing/lifestyle as the next guy. The way so many diets, doctors, experts contradict each other, it's no wonder everyone is so confused. I truly believe that studies are not accurate because they don't seem to be long term, only short term.

I wish everyone well in this debate. I'm going to continue to Eat Clean and listen to my body, because it works for me.
  • grinch031
    Options

oil of course. I don't necessarily think that matters though. I happen to think that high carbs with high fat is the worse combination because you get the negative hormonal effects of the high carbs combined with the storage of dietary fat. Meanwhile fat mobilization is being inhibited by excess insuilin.

Maybe the chinese can eat lots of carbs because they eat low fat?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Or maybe they just consume less calories & move more?
  • grinch031
    Options

Or maybe they just consume less calories & move more?

What drives them to consume less calories and move more?
  • anyonebutmehaha
    Options

you seriously linked one of the most offensive blogs on the internet here? (try going to the homepage and having a quick read for those of you that have never stumbled across the steroid-rage pathetic ranting of this loser). tell me you are kidding! i have lost all respect for you.