My response to people that say humans HAVE to eat meat...

Options

Replies

• sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Leaving this discussion now to load up a cart full of meat for my family. :) Have a happy Super Bowl Sunday!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Humans huh?? Are there a lot of animals and aliens on this thread?
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    VergingOnVegan
    This is why I'm still reading.
    trainwreckthre128601427290668186.jpg
    It's stuck on the recent forums, I'm bored and it's such a drama-fest that I can't see,m to look away. we must have a different opinion on what is considered polite, if this is a "polite discussion" it seems to be all preaching and finger-pointing to me.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am not looking for a heated debate, just opinions,
    JerseyGirlHea, you un-friended me!
    I thought you wanted opinions.....

All I did was give my opinion - well, and I totally ridiculed your argument, made light of animal suffering and expressed total indifference to an issue you have such passion about. People on my profile are still talking about it... .:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But other than that, we agree!

We shall miss you!:drinker:
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but nothing you can say will make me feel that I have bad karma for eating an animal. God made us top of the food chain for a reason.

I would have thought he gave us a brain and a sense of compassion for a reason too.

I have compassion for animals. I would never ever eat my cats.

What is the difference between a cat and a cow?

Cow = Burger, steak, etc.
    Cats = Take-out Chinese food, (ie Teriyaki tabby, Siamese siamese, etc.)
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    So who are you rooting for today? Pat's hot dogs, or Giants veggie burgers?

Reminds me. Got to go soon. Superbowl. Since I live in Connecticut, the choice between NY and Boston is not trivial. Geographically I am closer to NY. Brady v. Manning. Like 'em both. I am having a real crisis here trying to figure out who to root for. I guess I just have to ask myself, "What Would Tebow Do?"
  • Missaeriel
    Options
    I am so sad to see this forum :(
    As a newer member to mfp I always enjoyed the forums...always so supportive! If one member asks a question they usually get an answer...if another one confesses a binge the other members support them and motivate them. I have seen plenty of threads congratulating members on their successes and achievements.... but look at what we are reduced to in a conversation like this...
    I was elated to find a site that was so supportive regardless of where we are in our journeys. I understand that there are trolls everywhere on the internet but today definitely tarnished my views about this site.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    That dinosaur guy must've blocked me.
    Maybe calling him out on his ignorance is a good way to proceed.
    Usually when the light of truth shines, dishonesty, like roaches who love darkness, run for the dusky cracks where they dwell in a joyless state of dastardliness.

They need meat!:drinker:

Lol! No, but we are fortifying ourselves with pistachios nuts (Jealous, now?)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    VergingOnVegan
    It's stuck on the recent forums, I'm bored and it's such a drama-fest that I can't see,m to look away. we must have a different opinion on what is considered polite, if this is a "polite discussion" it seems to be all preaching and finger-pointing to me.

Are you saying that I have been preaching and finger-pointing? I'm honestly trying not to do that.
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    True, this will be a never-ending debate. I've given up trying to push the anti-meat debate unless the audience wants to hear it. The only point I'll add to this thread is that since we turned vegan, myself, my wife, and my son, have never been sick. In two years, a sore throat or mild cold simply disappears by itself two days later.

Same goes for my two year-old son. The other kids in his daycare center are always sticky with runny noses, colds, coughs, you name it. Thankfully my son shakes it off after a day or two. He also has all the energy in the world and doctors confirmed his development is spot-on without any meat or dairy consumption.

Regardless of what anybody says, dropping the meat and dairy has been the best thing for my family's health, with noticeable changes from day 1. Even if the ethics behind animal cruelty do not concern you, I recommend the vegan lifestyle simply for the pure, clean, ongoing health benefits you enjoy every day.

And about B12 deficiency? An easy supplement keeps me on the sunny side.

Peace and health to you all!

Now see, I like your approach to this subject. Calm, cool, and non-preachy about your views. Everyone need to find their own journey that works for them.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    As someone with 3/4 of a PhD (so far lol) in studying diet-related obesity and metabolic disease and dysregulation....false.

As someone who deals with scientific literature every day, I really appreciate cites to studies.

By the way, I do not imply or agree with the ad Verecundiam argument, which I believe you were advocating. Experts make mistakes. In my experience, frequently.

Why no pic of yourself lets see it and show several different pics of yourself. You know for verification that you did not pull a random one from the net. Show us proof what veggies have done for you!!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I have come to a conclusion after reading 4 pages of this thread.

1. Eat meat. You won't die to death because of it.
    2. If you don't want to eat meat, don't. Us meat-eaters don't care and won't preach.
    3. VegesaurusRex should be working as a stand up comedian. Their self-righteous, thou hast the holiest *kitten* attitude, is beyond hilarious.

It seems to have gotten under your skin. Wazza matta, too close to the truth?

I don't care about the thread. Your opinion that only you can be correct is the only thing cancerous in here.
  • belladonna_3k
    Options
    I've been vegan for 2 months now... I have NEVER felt better, had better lab results (i.e. cholesterol, liver functions, glucose, b.p., triglycerides, etc) since putting meat, dairy and eggs out of my diet. I also shut out about 95% of processed sugars and bleached flours.I take vitamins and supplements to ensure I get everything my body needs for optimum health. This is a CHOICE. I don't do it because of the animals, although I am an avid animal rights advocate. I do it for ME. For my health, now and future. My kids are grown and eat what they choose. That's their perogative. My friends eat what they choose. That is their perogative. I KNOW a plant based diet is healthier than one filled with meats, dairy and eggs, but I do not and never will force that lifestyle down anyones throat (no pun intended). I will not preach at my carnivore friends and family as long as they show me the same respect. I don't feel I am "better" than anyone else by going vegan, but I do feel I am on my way to being the healthiest I've ever been in my 46 years. My weight is coming off steadily. My digestion is perfect. I feel and look better than I have in years. I'm sticking with a vegan lifestyle, regardless of how many people feel it's a fad or a phase, or that I am somehow missing out on something. Trust me... I'm "missing" only one thing. Poor health.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    why not think of what you have done the next time you sit down as a meal and there is the flesh of a dead animal on your plate, an animal that would not have been killed if you and other had not been willing to buy its corpse.

What about the plants that get killed, because we pull them up by the roots to eat them? Or the plants that are killed so that others may grow? Seriously, in order for a living organism to survive, it needs to eat other living organisms. You can, however, limit the suffering of the creature you intend to eat, and maybe not pull up every plant in the garden and spray the rest down with insecticide.

Just sayin'.

IMHO: One must not take life lightly, even as one needs to eat something that is living in order to survive. It may be better not to buy an extra chicken if you are only going to toss it in the garbage anyway.
  • JessiC1984
    JessiC1984 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    VergingOnVegan

Are you saying that I have been preaching and finger-pointing? I'm honestly trying not to do that.
    Not at all, I've just been reading this thread since it came up and I've seen a lot of it from people in the thread, not everyone, though.
  • davecreed
    davecreed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like meat! essential proteins and essential fatty acids...no where are their essential carbs...and no non animal product has all the complete essential proteins in it...thats really all i gotta say. I like beans...but beans just don't cut it.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I got to pet a cow on the way home from class on friday :3 I think they are adorable! A little more smelly than my cat though xD

I support both lifestyles, since I have been both. Currently eating meat because it is an easy fix to some health problems I had after being a vegetarian and not paying attention to what I was eating. Might eventually make the switch back over. Gradually getting there ^-^

Even though I do eat meat currently, I cringe at it when it is raw and always have to cover it with panko or shake n bake of the sort xD
    After I get through this freezerful of meat that my family paid for, I am going to start limit it and get my proteins from more plant sources. Cheaper and I can get a variety of nutrients :]
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am so sad to see this forum :(
    As a newer member to mfp I always enjoyed the forums...always so supportive! If one member asks a question they usually get an answer...if another one confesses a binge the other members support them and motivate them. I have seen plenty of threads congratulating members on their successes and achievements.... but look at what we are reduced to in a conversation like this...
    I was elated to find a site that was so supportive regardless of where we are in our journeys. I understand that there are trolls everywhere on the internet but today definitely tarnished my views about this site.

Meh, the diet threads can get heated, it's no biggie. When people feel so strongly, they're bound to butt heads. Whenever I see one of these, (or the pro/anti low carb, pro/anti HCG diet, etc.) I just picture it like a street fight, (think Sharks vs. Jets in West Side Story)
  • davecreed
    davecreed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    but they make me cut it lol
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on most points. I do think it is natural to eat meat, just not in the way we do. The processing and way we raise our meat is disgusting. This is why I wont go near the crap. If I could find a farmer near me and i knew where it was coming from and that there were no chemicals involved i would eat it. In moderation. By chemicals i mean steroids to make it grow, ammonia to sterilize it and god knows what else. Plus i want 100% meat not 50% meant 50% filler.
This discussion has been closed.