T.H.E (Trying Hard Everyday) Team ~ Week 9 ~ 4/2-4/9

Options

Replies

• LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    1200 calories (the minimum) plus 600 burned= 1800. You should be eating at least 1800 calories a day at a MINIMUM when you work out. I know it seems high, but its really not. Not if you are eating good healthy foods.
  • indianagranny
    Options
    healthymom2009 - SW/GW/CW 208/150/191 -1 lb
    adopt4 - SW 273/GW 191/CW 251.7 +.6 lb
    Chanty - SW 148/GW 125/ CW 132 -1lb
    lulubar - SW205/GW 145/CW 191-1lb
    Sheils - SW 327 / GW 150 / CW 297 / for a loss of 5 pounds!
    DW sw/ 275/ gw 180/ cw 268 loss 2 pounds
    nitag sw 220/ gw 145/ cw 196 loss 1 lb
    jamierobertson SW 195/ GW 155/ CW 187.8 - 2.6lbs
    Losingit4good SW 216/GW 175/ CW 215 -1lb

Fantastic Everyone - enjoyed reading all this. I guess I should be posting a little different so here goes. SW/GW/CW 198.5/160/196 -2.5 for the week. But I haven't exercise todayso I am going to go hit the treadmill soon.

Congratulations to everyone on their losses. Adopt4 keep plugging - those pounds will start dropping.
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    healthymom2009 - SW/GW/CW 208/150/191 -1 lb
    adopt4 - SW 273/GW 191/CW 251.7 +.6 lb
    Chanty - SW 148/GW 125/ CW 132 -1lb
    lulubar - SW205/GW 145/CW 191-1lb
    Sheils - SW 327 / GW 150 / CW 297 / for a loss of 5 pounds!
    DW sw/ 275/ gw 180/ cw 268 loss 2 pounds
    nitag sw 220/ gw 145/ cw 196 loss 1 lb
    jamierobertson SW 195/ GW 155/ CW 187.8 - 2.6lbs
    Losingit4good SW 216/GW 175/ CW 215 -1lb
    Indianagranny SW 198.5/GW 160/CW 196 -2.5lbs
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,085 Member
    Options
    Okay, obviously this whole calorie thing has many of you confused. I have posted these links on our thread many times. (see day before yesterday, or was it yesterday?)

There is a LINK BELOW MY WEIGHT TICKER AND IT CONTAINS ALL THE FACTS YOU NEED.

I AM YELLING BECAUSE I HOPE YOU WILL HEAR ME.

PLEASE READ THEM. SCROLL THROUGH THE ENTIRE THREAD, BECAUSE I KEEP ADDING ANY VERIFIABLE FACTS/ LINKS THROUGHOUT THE THREAD. NOT JUST PAGE ONE.

MIKE, THE CREATOR OF THE MYFITNESSPAL SITE FELT IT WAS IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO MAKE THAT LINK (THREAD) A "STICKY THREAD". IT IS AT THE TOP OF THE "GENERAL WEIGHT LOSS" TAB AT ALL TIMES. THERE ARE ONLY TWO MEMBER SUBMITTED "STICKY THREADS". IT IS IMPORTANT.

IF MY GOAL FOR THE DAY - BEFORE EXERCISE - IS 1400 CALORIES (which it is), THEN I NEED TO EAT 1400 CALORIES.

IF I EXERCISE AND BURN 400 CALORIES - I NEED TO EAT 1800 CALORIES. MFP FIGURES ALL THIS FOR YOU - NO THINKING REQUIRED.

THE END. I love you guys. It really is just that simple.

The following was written by Steve "Banks" aka SHBoss. He is worth listening to. He has given alot of his time to explaining things he learned through EXPERTS to the people who come here and ask for help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories

Well, I have recently seen many people questioning the idea of eating your goal calories and/or eating exercise calories so I thought I would offer up a quick reminder for both the newbies on here who are confused about caloric intake and some of our more seasoned members who may have forgotten. I'll be as brief as possible. (sorry if this gets long, I'll break it up to make it easier to read)

1)
    Every single person on here loses weight differently, but there are a few common factors everyone. The first is that we all have a metabolism, governed by how much energy we give it, how active we are, genetic makeup, and the type of energy we give it. With that in mind MFP has a relatively easy to use goals calculator that will give you the amount of food you should eat to lose the weight you desire and become more healthy.

2)
    The relationship to your BMI (as flawed as that measurement is) and how much you can lose is real and governs much of your weight loss. People with a BMI over 30 (classified as obese) can lose weight faster then people that are under that number (generally speaking, see number 1) 2 lbs a week or more is realistic for obese people. Trying to lose 2 lbs a week for someone with a BMI under 30 is much more difficult, as well as much more time consuming.

3)
    Starvation mode is REAL. It can and does happen. You should keep close tabs on where your BMR calories is. If you are under the obesity level then please try to stay (at a minimum) at your BMR. The goals calculator WILL account for weight you want to lose, don't think you can up the stakes by eating less, it doesn't work. And if you exercise, realize that you are creating a larger deficite, and make sure you eat your exercise calories.

4)
    (This is one I see all the time) If you are close (say within 25 lbs or so) of your goal weight, 2 lbs a week is probably unrealistic. The human body knows where it's equalibrium is, attempting to go below it is a difficult, and frustrating process, 2 lbs a week (what ever you may think) is a drastic strategy for someone near their goal and usually doesn't happen. As you approach your goals, slow down your attempt at loss, try for 1 lb a week or less, it will give your body time to adjust it's chemistry more gradually, keep you healthy, and lessen your frustration.

5)
    1200 calories is a number that doctors and nutritionists have made up based on averages. It's not a line in the sand. Your starvation calories depends on your body. For me that line is somewhere around 2000 calories, for a really small woman, it could be 1000, Generally it's somewhere around 1000 calories less then your maintenance weight. But being dynamic systems, some of our bodies can tolerate more or less. Be smart about your weight loss, use your common sense, if you're not losing weight and your at or below a 1000 calorie deficite, then think logically and up your calories a little, and keep upping them until you see improvement.

6)
    Lastly, the human body has a 5 lb swing daily. That means that on any given 24 hour period yo can go from 5 lbs above your "real" weight to 5 lbs below. Due to water weight, and waste we can swing quite a bit. The scale is a generalist at best, good for an Idea of where you are, but not very good at calculating exact measurements. I generally recommend weighing yourself no more then once every 2 weeks, at the same time, same day every week. Use other measurements along with this, I.E. size measurments, Body Fat %, and over all fitness level to make up the difference.

NOTE: I'm not a doctor or a certified nutritionist, but I have done a large amount of research on this, and have spoken with my doctor and 2 separate nutritionists on this topic. NONE of which has ever recommended a 2 lb a week weight loss without doctor supervision. Even after direct questioning about this they all agreed that 2 lbs a week is an EXTREME stragegy and, for most people who are in the healthy BMI range, an unrealistic goal to set (with some obvious exceptions, like an extremely large person overall)

I hope this clears some stuff up. also see Viviakay's post on general caloric intake, it pretty much says all there is to say about this.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Li4g, I have my email set to remind me to start the thread. I'll be happy to start planning my rant now.

You be good cop, I'll be bad cop. :wink:
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    Li4g, I have my email set to remind me to start the thread. I'll be happy to start planning my rant now.

You be good cop, I'll be bad cop. :wink:

LOL! Sounds good to me CM :wink:
    funny-dog-pictures-bad-cop-good-cop.jpg
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    So, I woke up last night to the sound of someone peein in my bathroom. At first I thought I was dreaming, I mean I AM the only one here right?? NO... it was my cat... Charlie. Using the facilities in my master bath! HAHAHA!! Just had to share that with ya'll. Scared the crud out of me!!!

Anyway... today has been a great eating & water drinking day for me. I have 1 more 300 cal snack left for later. Havent quite figured out what Im gonna have. A friend invited me to go out and go dancing again. Might have a beer but I definitely aint drinking like I did last weekend! Once or twice a year of that is PLENTY!

Oh... just remembered... gotta go do my situps before I forget! It is Friday!!

Have a great night everyone!!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Ok so this is strange. I used the HRM cals, and am stuffed full right now, it's nearly 8 pm and soon I'll be off to bed... and I have 800 cals left. WTH??? I've eaten roughly 1600 cals which is pretty normal for me but today suddenly it's enough when other days it's not? I just don't understand my body!

I do think my breakfast made a HUGE difference, though, I had 2 pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, and a banana. Kind of higher cal than usual but I haven't felt hungry all day until dinner time, and ate a big dinner (but it was very low cal, so it didn't add up to much).

I'll be very surprised if I lose weight this week eating more than I usually do. Time to put it to the test, what I've been telilng other people (but those people were eating like 1200 a day... or less).
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Tell ya what - I would love to eat for you. I wish I was given what did you say? 1580 as a baseline, then got 700 cals for working out. Did you eat five meals today, or just twice?

The more fit you get the more difficult it is to burn 700 calories - enjoy it while it lasts.

It seems counter-intuitive. But why don't you believe us? Adopt4 - I really don't understand....did you read all those posts??

Oh I went a few hundred over today, but that is okay, it is my day off/cheat day. :smile: Who knew a tim hortons cookie could be 280 calories for 1 medium sized cookie!!!:noway: Good thing I shared it haha:laugh:
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    Oh I went a few hundred over today, but that is okay, it is my day off/cheat day. :smile: Who knew a tim hortons cookie could be 280 calories for 1 medium sized cookie!!!:noway: Good thing I shared it haha:laugh:

LOL.. You did better than me today!! I was fine till I went to buy catfood...you dont wanna know... seriously!

howmanycalories.jpg
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I bought some honey to put in my Fage yogurt. . . . . . .you're not s'posed to eat it by the spoonful, are you. . . . . bunny-2.jpg
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    CM... at least yours was all natural...
    Mine was all :devil: :devil: :devil:
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    LOL.. You did better than me today!! I was fine till I went to buy catfood...you dont wanna know... seriously!

I thought that i should just clarify before Kristi has a field day with this....

NO.. I did NOT eat Catfood! :laugh: :laugh:

Also..Anyone here have yahoo messenger?? If so, private message me your ID if ya wanna chat sometime! :flowerforyou:
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    ahha, cute pic li4g. Oh frick I feel like I am going to hurl...I wanted some sugary popcorn and made myself peanut butter popcorn, sooo many cals/fat I not thinking about it...but I ate so much:sick: It serves me right for making such a big batch...and me only eating it haha...oh I am never making that stuff again! Only the first bite or two were good, but so sweet it was gross..but a habit of eating it

Tomorrow..well I guess technically today is a new day and I will not beat myself up about it! I am dragging my fiancee to yoga in the morning...haha Saturday morning 9am yoga..he is freaking thrilled! Oh well I love the instructor (she is a good friend of mine) and she is veryyy good, and he needs to stretch out!

Hope everyone has a good night/day..w.e :smile:
  • indianagranny
    Options
    QUOTE:

I joined you today ( well yesterday) LI4G! Went way over on my calories too and with a real bad turtle brownie!!!! I was back on track til supper and then oops it happened again that you don't even want to know!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok though today is a new day.
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Morning Everyone!!

Yesterday all of us girls went shopping to buy something to wear to Baby Kole's funeral. First stop was Lane Bryant and not one thing there fit me.. I am officially out of Lane Bryant clothing and I am thankful as that place is expensive... Because I wasn't sure if I could find anything thing else I just ended up buying a blouse to wear with my jeans but that dang blouse was $54 .. Ugggg.... So we then headed over to Old Navy and I found a ton of stuff there that fit.. I am wearing an XL.. I was super excited.. Bought 5 blouses at $15 each and headed back to Lane Bryant and returned the $54 one.. Woo hoo....

It was a bad eating day for me.. I didn't go over on my calories but I did go over on everything else... I had a good breakfast at home, then Taco Bell and then Applebees for dinner.. I was so gassy after all that.. My husband thought I was deflating, it was quite amusing:laugh: ..

I don't know what today will bring. I am planning on eating a good breakfast, then the funeral is at 11:30, then the lunch thing afterwards... I will just try to balance it out... This weightloss thing is really really important to me..

CM, I love that you are the bad cop, don't ever be afraid of telling me like it is :happy: I am hear to have success and a good swift kick in the butt so that I will be successful...

Here is Kole Henry's Obituary: It's really sweet!!

Kole Henry Hansen was born on February 20, 2009 at Lucille Packard Children’s Hospital in Palo Alto Calif. He passed away March 28, 2009 in his mommy and daddy’s arms. Some of his hobbies were dreaming and driving his nurses crazy.

Kole was born with a Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia, which effects the forming of the diaphragm. The CDH led him to be born with most of his abdominal organs in his chest, impeding the growth of his lungs.

He fought to stay alive for 36 days and we cherished every moment with him. He has touched the lives of many, and will live forever in our hearts.

A celebration of life will be 11:30 a.m., Saturday at Carson Valley Christian Center. In lieu of flowers, please make donations in Kole’s name to the Ronald McDonald House at Stanford. 650-470-6000.

He is survived by his father Kevin; mother Raelynn; his sister dog Penney; grandparents Wendi, Sidney, Thomas and Vickie. He has many aunts and uncles and cousins and his great-grandparents that will all miss him deeply
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    Nita- What a sweet, sweet obituary for him! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family today.

Congrats on the shopping trip! It feels awesome to be out of the LB store! Used to be the only place I could find clothes that really fit... Not anymore!! XL at old navy is awesome!! Thier stuff is a still a wee bit tight on me. I have pretty broad shoulders so I always feel like Im trying to wear Shelby's stuff when I go there. HAHA! Maybe this summer.. We'll see :)

Off to swim away my big load of a breakfast! I had 2 Eggo lowfat nutri-grain waffles with peanut butter and 1/2 of a honey dew melon... num num! Hard to believe that was 500 calories!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Tell ya what - I would love to eat for you. I wish I was given what did you say? 1580 as a baseline, then got 700 cals for working out. Did you eat five meals today, or just twice?

The more fit you get the more difficult it is to burn 700 calories - enjoy it while it lasts.

It seems counter-intuitive. But why don't you believe us? Adopt4 - I really don't understand....did you read all those posts??

I'm fighting my brain here. I understand that I should eat 1500-1600 cals per day, I'm not a 1200 person... but eating 2200? When normally that would be what it takes for me to stay the same? FIghting my brain on that one. Yeah, I read all the posts - and I WRITE those posts - but it's harder when it's YOUR brain you're fighting! LOL.

BUT the GREAT news is I woke up and weighed myself, after drinking a TON of water yesterday - and I'm down 2.8 pounds! WHOO-HOO!

I'm still going to follow the new cals burned by using MFPs and see how that works for me.
  • LosingIt4good
    Options
    :laugh: I got my butt kicked at the gym today. I went to do 1/2 hour on the elliptical and swim for an hour, instead I got dragged into the Bootcamp session by one of the trainers. It was fun! We did 3 minute wall sits passing a 10lb weighted ball.. my thighs were on FIRE but at least I made it the whole 3 minutes! Then we did 3 minutes of sprinting on the spin bikes... which was just a little too easy for me. Then we had to lift a 10lb disk weight over our heads and bring it down while lifting one knee... easy for the first 2 minutes, the last 1 was hard.. lol After those 3 things.. they had us do an obstacle course which was ladder steps, leg squats and sprinting around cones. I thought I was gonna die doing that.. :laugh: Took a 2 minute break, then did it all over again.

The pool felt AWESOME afterwards. I swam for 30 minutes and my total calories burned today according to my HRM was 1155! :noway: Im sure I'll be feeling those leg squats and that wall sit tomorrow for sure!:bigsmile: