Geeky/Nerdy Guilty Pleasure

Options

Replies

• JessBezz77
    JessBezz77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My husband and I run a guild on World of Warcraft (Alliance, Shandris server) - and I am admittedly obsessed with the game. Our guild, some of them, have become as close to us as some family members. I take my job as GM quite seriously and have a blast with it. From creating events for our members, celebrating birthdays, and just doing silly things in game.

I'm also a chain mail artist - but not sure if that's really geeky/nerdy - though I HAVE made dice bags.....

I am a HUGE Harry Chapin, Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow fan as well.
  • ancook02
    ancook02 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Also.. I role play... on twitter... *hangs head in shame*

NO SHAME. ONLY 140 CHARACTERS OF AWESOME.

(i've never understood how people can do rp on twitter, but i'm in love with the meta-workings of the concept. it is like everything the internet was made for.)

Thanks! It's not easy to do in 140 characters. And I'm still a total newbie at it. My friend got me into it, she's been at it for 2 years and is amazing!
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I heart programming w/ Visual Studio. Yeah, I said it.

#noshameinmygame

5499814.png
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Did I miss it, or am I the only one here who watches The Guild and Red vs Blue??
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I should add, I also have every anthology I've ever been given (including a bunch I stole from my high school. I read them. I read my Lit Theory books for kicks, I read King Lear every winter, as well as The Hobbit/LotR trilogy.

I am obsessed with baking. I have more food intolerances than I'd like and now I have to totally relearn baking, I have read about different kinds of flours for HOURS, ways to make pastry without using gluten or dairy...it's beyond thrilling, unless you aren't me and then apparently it's a bit odd.

I'm also in the group of those who "granny craft" I knit a lot while watching my geeky/nerdy shows. It is a goal of mine to make a proper TARDIS journal like River's.

I also own multiple fanmade CDs that are Firefly and SPN themed, and I listen to them in places where other people are (like in my car) and people just stare.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Did I miss it, or am I the only one here who watches The Guild and Red vs Blue??

I LOVE the Guild, I have the music video for "Do you want to date my avatar" on my phone! The song itself is one of my ringtones.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I realize it's quite mainstream and popular, but who doesn't get a rise from "Game of Thrones"?

Honestly, could not get into the books, but loving the HBO adaptation.

Also, reading Guillermo del Toro's "Strain" trilogy now. He's one of my geek heroes.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

I <3 the guild... and just got into Red Vs. Blue.
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I play Perfect World because I just can't bring myself to pay for WoW.

I read any (and I do mean ANY) book that I can get my hands on.

I regularly suffer from History Channel comas.

I cross-stitch. Right now I'm working on a 4 page Cinderella scene. Been working on it for about a year and a half now.

Not sure about this one...but I play Star Trek Monopoly like it's a religion and I'm trying to get into heaven!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    (i love Barry Manilow)

I love Barry, but did you know that Ray Stevens has a song about him?

"I need your heeeeeelp, Barry Manilow...
    Your songs can really comfort the unlucky
    Sing me a soooooong, siiiiing it sad and looooow...
    I wish I didn't have to feel so yucky!"

It's AWESOME.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36c5aFZSr4o
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I watch nature programs and NOVA (as well as many travel shows and of course, Antiques Roadshow) on PBS pretty frequently. I also still play WoW. I don't think it's cool to admit that anymore. All of my friends are playing Skyrim. That's just scratching the surface, though. I do/enjoy a lot of geeky things and have for a long time. I'm in no way a geek, I just happen to love things that are considered "geeky" (not because they're 'geeky', but because they're awesome and were deemed 'geeky' by the Geek Police, I guess).
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    don't know if you've seen this (or meant this) but ... to get you started...

http://blogs.evtrib.com/nerdvana/sci-fi-fantasy/make-your-own-tardis-journal/48449/
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options

And I also love The Guild!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I was in for mindless with GI Joe too, right up to the end when the ice sank. My geek radar went into overdrive and my husband and I spent 10 minutes discussing the phase diagram of water. Besides, If ice sank, it would squish the fish.
    ok, so i was watching the GI Joe movie this weekend (don't judge me, i wanted mindless and it WAS) and all i could notice was that the Cobra guys were wearing DS9 command uniforms. so then i had to watch some Trek.

i can sing every song from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. And do. Randomly. without much volume control.

i think that there is NO higher debate than comic debate. and i think i proved that point on here.

i do not judge you for Dark Angel. i do not judge anyone watching Jensen be pretty. thinking of, i need to order a copy of Ten Inch Hero... *wonders off to amazon*
  • alpha1029
    Options
    Also, Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage are my heroes. They get paid to do awesome science experiments all day.
  • clairification
    clairification Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    -Jeopardy! I have been known to shout the questions even when I watch it alone...
    -Mental Floss...I could hours just reading What's the Difference?
    -Lord of the Rings.
    -X-Files. Please explain to me the scientific nature of The Whammy.
    -Creature horror...especially vampires...anything to do with vampire history.
    -Batman: The Animated Series.
    -Nikola Tessla. I'm not sure why, but I'm completely fascinated by him.
    -Nessie.
    -Geek by marriage-Hubs is a comp-si major/gamer/animation buff.
  • clairification
    clairification Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Also, Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage are my heroes. They get paid to do awesome science experiments all day.

Totally agree!
  • tmacmoto
    tmacmoto Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I purposefully bought a blue mini convertible cooper and named it TARDIS, I sing to the theme song of Red Dwarf (best Brit Sci-Fi ever made), and I have the regular tricorder and medical tricorder for both generations. Oh, I also have a functioning sonic screwdriver with flat head attachment.

If you're still laughing with me, I will gladly sonic you.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I was in for mindless with GI Joe too, right up to the end when the ice sank. My geek radar went into overdrive and my husband and I spent 10 minutes discussing the phase diagram of water. Besides, If ice sank, it would squish the fish.
    ok, so i was watching the GI Joe movie this weekend (don't judge me, i wanted mindless and it WAS) and all i could notice was that the Cobra guys were wearing DS9 command uniforms. so then i had to watch some Trek.

OMG i'm so with you! i was yelling at the TV. the only way i could make it work in my head was if Cobra had added something to the icecap above - then i was able to watch the rest.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't play D&D, but I read D&D books. :blushing:

And with all the hot dudes in LotR, Gimli is my favorite. :heart: