SHOOT ME! NOW!!

Options

Replies

• michele_lynn
    michele_lynn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    harrrr harrr harrr.

No, I'm not on my period; just sick of middle-aged women being all "psssst, girls only, it's private!" on a weight loss forum. Hormones hit us all, and excluding guys because they "can't relate" is just silly. Men might not bleed from the crotch once a month but they definitely have their own struggles at different times of the month, be they hormone related or not, and I'd hate to think their voice be excluded because they have a Y chromosome.

But yeah, laugh it up.. and then go eat a brownie. :)
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Period. It's called a period. "TOM" makes you sound like a 6th grader.

Sounds like you're a little testy. Is it your TOM right now? <grin> <ducks>

^^ haha - now that made me laugh!
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    Well I'm just a total b!tch for 24-48 hours. I think I'd rather binge. My kids and husband would rather I binge!
  • jenlee_74
    Options
    Hahhaaa we call it 'hoovering' (think vacuum-face)
    Last month it was garlic bread! A ridiculous amount of garlic bread! I usually give in for no more than 2 days and minimize the damage by keeping reasonable stuff around: chocolate rice dream, cereal, oranges, alvarado st. bakery complete protein bread with cinnamon/sugar topping, chocolate fat free frozen yogurt, non-fat greek yogurt with honey and walnuts....and getting chocolate lindor balls by the singles. My **optimistic** (BS?) theory is that a little cheating can shock your metabolism out of scarcity-mode and kick it up a notch to work out ok overall...
    Minimize the damage and enjoy the heck out of it. :wink:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is, if you're gonna overeat, force yourself to log it. Log everything.
  • nmoreland
    nmoreland Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but the "I don't care I'm going to eat it anyway" cravings and binges don't stop after TOM. I still have them. Especially at night when I'm tired, but for some reason don't go to bed. GO TO BED!!!!

I am right there as well!!!
  • jewelswye
    jewelswye Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Try air popped popcorn with salt for the salt cravings and low cal hot choc or sugar free jelly for the sweet cravings. Just remember that it takes a while for the jelly to set so make sure ur organised and as long as you only go off the rails once or twice a month you will still lose weight. no biggie lol
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies (and men :wink: ). Sometimes, you just have to confess and get it off your chest. <deep breath> Ok, I feel better now...moving on...and taking some of the advise you've all offered. :flowerforyou:
  • chaugberg
    chaugberg Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same problem right now. I don't usually have a sweet tooth...I'm normally all about the salt. Around my TOM though it seems like I can't live without something chocolate everyday. I usually say F it and end up eating way more than I should. This time, everytime I felt like I "needed" a candy bar, I whipped out my MFP app and logged it BEFORE I even bought the blasted bar. Once I physically saw what it did to my remaining calories for the day (and I had barely finished lunch the first time this happened mind you) I thought to myself "If I eat this now, I'll only be allowed a carrot stick (or something equally menial :-)) for dinner. Then what am I going to do?" I overcame these raging chocolate cravings twice today by doing this. Hope you figure it out!!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat below TDEE and you lose weight.

Wait...do you know your TDEE?
  • misfixit1
    misfixit1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    CONFESSIONS OF A "TOM" EATING PSYCHO....

So, after I logged off mfp last night, I was around 70 calories over. Ok, no biggie...figured I'd make up for it today.

BUT NOOOOooooooooo......it is less than a week before my "TOM", and after I logged out all hell broke loose. Let me add visuals for my little pig fest.

Ate half a bag of these:
    kisses.jpg

Ate about this much popcorn:
    popcorn.jpg

The scary part is that I did NOT care. I knew I'd be pissed this morning, but when I start craving CRAP during this time of the month, I'm like a lunatic. I could probably polish off a side of beef without even blinking an eye if the spirit moved me. It's insane, and the sad part is that they have no meds for this impairment...lol. What is wrong with the medical community that they cannot get a handle on hormonal issues AND FIX THEM!!!! (pms talking, just ignore that last rant).

I'm trying not to take my pms eating binges lightly, but I have no clue how to stop myself. I've tried everything. I am glad that I'm usually able to lose whatever I've gained pretty quickly after the "time" passes, but still I think of how much more I could lose if I could get a handle on it.

Bloody shame I don't crave fruits and veggies during this time, but rather always something like a box of Twinkies or anything that has been dunked in massive amounts of salt. Arrrgghgghghghghhgh.....frustrating as hell. For the most part, I keep the things I crave out of the house during this time of the month, but I had bought and hid the kisses for my kid's Valentine party. I snuck them out of a cupboard where I'd been hiding them.

And men, don't even bother addressing this because you have NO clue. Mind over matter does not work...at all.

pms.jpg

WORST OF ALL, I DIDN'T LOG MY *kitten* UP....I simply cannot bring myself to do it.
    . Good news about this time of month is that your body knows its going to over eat and your metabolism ramps up about 5 to 10 percent. That will cover at least 250 uh oh calories. But if you can be a good girl. You can also lose weight during that time. As for me, it's one day and I eat what my body wants. One day out of 31. Is ok. I just learned not to beat myself up over it. Plus the up side of eating not so good that day is that it tricks your body to wake up and burn faster because it's used to you eating right all the time .. Good luck
  • Dawn200321
    Dawn200321 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    it sucks being female once a month! Im a bottomless pitt at my TOM! It happens
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    "And men, don't even bother addressing this because you have NO clue. Mind over matter does not work...at all. "

As a woman, I 100% disagree. It really is mind over matter. How do you stop yourself? Just don't do it. It's hard as hell, but obviously not impossible. Stop telling yourself that it is and maybe you'll stop allowing it to happen.

Absolutely. YouCAN stop yourself.
    If someone held a gun to your head and threatened to shoot of you ate the unhealthy pile would you eat it? Course not.
    PMS is NO excuse for any sort of behaviour
  • misfixit1
    Options
    CONFESSIONS OF A "TOM" EATING PSYCHO....

So, after I logged off mfp last night, I was around 70 calories over. Ok, no biggie...figured I'd make up for it today.

BUT NOOOOooooooooo......it is less than a week before my "TOM", and after I logged out all hell broke loose. Let me add visuals for my little pig fest.

Ate half a bag of these:
    kisses.jpg

Ate about this much popcorn:
    popcorn.jpg

The scary part is that I did NOT care. I knew I'd be pissed this morning, but when I start craving CRAP during this time of the month, I'm like a lunatic. I could probably polish off a side of beef without even blinking an eye if the spirit moved me. It's insane, and the sad part is that they have no meds for this impairment...lol. What is wrong with the medical community that they cannot get a handle on hormonal issues AND FIX THEM!!!! (pms talking, just ignore that last rant).

I'm trying not to take my pms eating binges lightly, but I have no clue how to stop myself. I've tried everything. I am glad that I'm usually able to lose whatever I've gained pretty quickly after the "time" passes, but still I think of how much more I could lose if I could get a handle on it.

Bloody shame I don't crave fruits and veggies during this time, but rather always something like a box of Twinkies or anything that has been dunked in massive amounts of salt. Arrrgghgghghghghhgh.....frustrating as hell. For the most part, I keep the things I crave out of the house during this time of the month, but I had bought and hid the kisses for my kid's Valentine party. I snuck them out of a cupboard where I'd been hiding them.

And men, don't even bother addressing this because you have NO clue. Mind over matter does not work...at all.

pms.jpg

WORST OF ALL, I DIDN'T LOG MY *kitten* UP....I simply cannot bring myself to do it.
    . Good news about this time of month is that your body knows its going to over eat and your metabolism ramps up about 5 to 10 percent. That will cover at least 250 uh oh calories. But if you can be a good girl. You can also lose weight during that time. As for me, it's one day and I eat what my body wants. One day out of 31. Is ok. I just learned not to beat myself up over it. Plus the up side of eating not so good that day is that it tricks your body to wake up and burn faster because it's used to you eating right all the time .. Good luck
    . I have the same problem. All females usually do. I looked up the answer I posted above because I wanted to know why in odds name that on one day a month I can't seem to fill up.
  • misfixit1
    Options
    "And men, don't even bother addressing this because you have NO clue. Mind over matter does not work...at all. "

As a woman, I 100% disagree. It really is mind over matter. How do you stop yourself? Just don't do it. It's hard as hell, but obviously not impossible. Stop telling yourself that it is and maybe you'll stop allowing it to happen.

Absolutely. YouCAN stop yourself.
    If someone held a gun to your head and threatened to shoot of you ate the unhealthy pile would you eat it? Course not.
    PMS is NO excuse for any sort of behaviour
    . Spoken by a true man. You really do not know what a woman goes through at that time Just like you do not know what it is like to be pregnant or to give birth. Women are built different with different needs.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm apparently an idiot, it took me 4 posts to figure out who TOM was. I actually thought I'd run into the dude a few times too.

I had to ask one of my friends what it was, and I actually have a TOM. Yep.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Actually had a really bad chocolate binge last night because of Aunt Flow xD New what I was doing, new I would be pissed today, but I'm actually fine. I don't do it every day. Heck, I don't even do it every month. Just have to accept it and move on.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    One word - protein. It'll help those cravings a lot.
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We all have those days! Just consider it a spike day, lol!

^this^ - a calorie spike can jump-start your metabolism. :)
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Haha - ive done the same thing.. but mine lasted 3 days --- ugggg - back on track tomorrow for sure -
    I love this post.. Awsome!