Am I fat?

Options

Replies

• theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hate that question. The way you asked wasn't at all offensive, so don't worry. But sometimes my friends would be like "well if you think you're fat then what am I?" in a rude tone. The answer it obviously, we do view some people as overweight. But for the most part, no. Back when I was REALLY skinny and still thought I was fat, I had a messed up view of my body. Since I've been trying to recover I've gained some weight back, and now I realize how tiny I was back at that weight. I also hate the way my body carries weight. Some people can weight 30 pounds more than me, but I'll still think they look better than me. When I gain weight, it just looks disgusting. For example, I can barely look at myself in a mirror, but my brothers girlfriend is probably 30 pounds heavier than me, and I think she's gorgeous. The disease only effects how I view myself. Not how I view others.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Those are UK sizes, not American.

I live in the US. Pretty sure those are American sizes.

No way is that middle girl a US 12 unless she is 6 ft tall. She looks smaller than I did at a UK 12, which is a US 8. A US 12 is a UK 16, which is well into plus size.

A US 12 is most certainly not plus size. Plus sizes are 18 and up.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

No way is that middle girl a US 12 unless she is 6 ft tall. She looks smaller than I did at a UK 12, which is a US 8. A US 12 is a UK 16, which is well into plus size.

Here plus size is a 16 and up, which is a US 12. I was overweight at a UK 12, which is a US 8. Either way, that middle model is not in a million years a US 12.

Having googled the picture, the stats are totally made up anyway. The original picture didn't have any sizes on and was in an article demonstrating different basic body shapes.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Here plus size is a 16 and up, which is a US 12. I was overweight at a UK 12, which is a US 8. Either way, that middle model is not in a million years a US 12.

Having googled the picture, the stats are totally made up anyway. The original picture didn't have any sizes on and was in an article demonstrating different basic body shapes.

I'm pretty sure the thin model is a size 0, from what I've seen.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure the thin model is a size 0, from what I've seen.

Exactly, a US size 0 is a UK 6 ish.
  • AceyFaceX
    Options
    If it makes you feel better I'm working to try and be at your size! lol. No, honey. You're not fat. Everyone is built differently. We all have different body frames. I would say that I am fat, only because there is a great deal of excess weight that I really need to lose. I'm trying to get healthy. If you're healthy and happy, I don't really think that anything else matters. (:
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yup those photos are UK/AUS/NZ sizes.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Got this from Facebook :tongue:

I am larger (always has been) than the "National Average"

2wf01l4.jpg

that size 16 doesnt look like me at a size 16(5'11).lol. i wish my stomach was that flat.

Amen to that! I just recently got DOWN to a 14 :) And even now, I don't look like that 16...........hmmmmm. But I'm short (5' 3") and have tummy issues, so that's me.

As for this subject "Am I Fat?"...........well, even when I WAS fat (at 184), I really didn't think fat or feel like I WAS fat! I had the opposite issue - I'd look in the mirror and see a thinner, attractive, awesome woman.........and then I'd catch a glance in a store window or a family picture, and I'd go "who the hell is that FAT CHICK???" It truly didnt' sink in until my Doctor told me YOU ARE OBESE!! I was truly upset and shocked by that................are you KIDDING me???

Now, at just over 160, I am feeling pretty good.........although sometimes I still see that Fat Chick, and I don't like her much anymore :noway:
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Got this from Facebook :tongue:

I am larger (always has been) than the "National Average"

2wf01l4.jpg

this is interesting, cuz I am a size 8-10 and I see the size 16 when I look in the mirror.....minus the boobs:(
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I do. I see that others are not wearing clothes that fit them and they obviously are having trouble with portion control or eating the right kinds of food, or maybe even having no time to exercise.
    At the same time, I fell into a trap of filling those moments for myself with excuses. So I went from being anorexic to a compulsive overeater to an exercise bulimic. Now, I'm recovering but somewhere inbetween them all.
    I have channeled this feeling into wanting to help others -- so I plan to go to school for nutrition research and become a health coach of some kind. I think finding something in your life that benefits others instead of potentially sending out those negative thoughts as judgments (even if you don't say them, it can be felt) is a great way to transform "seeing others as fat."
  • hilmo1
    hilmo1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a friend like that too! I'm very fit and muscular, and weigh 155lbs (5'6"). She has a flat stomach, is super slim, and always says she needs to run more to lose weight. She pinches the skin on her stomach, and thinks she's fat. It's SKIN!
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I know people without eating disorders who see everyone that isn't a size 2 as fat. So I really don't care what people think of me.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've had friends who have a hard time seeing themselves as they are, even after losing weight. I have days where I struggle to accurately see myself as well and I'm not what most people here would probably consider "fat" (i.e. I'm pretty fitness oriented, I work out regularly, eat well, have a healthy BMI, a decently good body fat %). But again, these aren't things I consider when I see myself in the mirror.

It's a lot about your perspective and not necessarily reality.
    This is such an important idea to keep in your mind.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I see myself as fat. Not flabby fat, but the ugly on a woman chunky fat. I was skinny before Christmas when I was on a huge deficit and running. Over Christmas, I kept on running but didn't have much deficit at all so basically my muscles grew... and that leaves me feeling quite masculine :( gutted! Have nice back muscles and skinny calves... by side profile of torso and front torso to me are just horrific. In my eyes. I don;t honestly know what everyone else thinks... I never will because I'll never believe an honest opinion of it because my mind is so warped that way I'd think they were lying if they said I looked fine/OK etc.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Look like UK sizes to me
  • SunKissed86
    Options
    I think Fat is a state of mind, as well as a physical state, for some people.

AGREED!
  • jnance82
    jnance82 Posts: 149
    Options
    Had this convo with my bf trying to get him to understand how I see things. When I was 12 y/o I began to starve myself b/c a boy in my class made a fat joke about me in front of everyone and I was embarrassed to no end. I was 5'5" and 157lbs in February. When school started back up in August I was down to 120lbs and my parents took me to a psychiatrist so that I could get help. I am now 29 years old and I have struggled with my weight since then. I have tried to get my bf to understand that no matter what I do all I see this morbidly obese person in the mirror. I am now 5'6" 173lbs, 8lbs from my goal, and wearing a size 10 down from a 14 and still I see myself as obese. He has been very supportive of me and takes pictures of me to show me the difference in what I see and what he sees. It's crazy, but when I look at pictures of myself I can see all the progress that I've made and I can see what he sees. I really wish I could see what he sees when I look in the mirror. Maybe try that with your friend. Take pictures and show them to her. Good luck!!!

10502719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I didn't see other people as fat unless they truely were. My friend weighed more than me and is shorter but I thought she looked good and that I looked like an oinker.
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    I thought losing weight would change how I saw myself. For a while it really did as the scale got.lower and lower I felt better and better. Now that I've stalled out within 8 lbs of my goal im feeling that fatgirl inside slowing creeping back in my mindset. I wonder if that will ever go away
  • I, apparently, see myself as bigger than I am but others as smaller. Therefore, I'm constantly putting pressure on myself to lose weight but telling others they are fine as they are, unless they are significantly overweight.
    I feel like I have the same problem. I see other people and assume they weight a ton less than me and then i figure out for sure and they actually weigh more or the same. So I think that I have slight image disorder, but I try to concentrate on myself in the mirror and really digest what I am seeing and being more honest with myself instead of just focusing on what I want to change or fear will never be the way I want it.