Tanning - Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have psoriasis too but I have also had 3 surgeries on my foot and 3 on my back to remove skin cancer. I will never use a tanning bed again. The pain and toll involved with skin cancer is not worth having a tan in the winter.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Nope. SPF 100 everywhere I go.
  • Nay. Not the damaging kind anyways. I Will grab a bottle of spray tan anyday though. Love that feeling you get the day after your tan. You just feel like your glowing. Always a huge confidence boost for me. :)

But no. I will never use a solarium or lay in the sun unprotected. I live in Australia, even us Aussie girls arent that crazy on skin cancer just to look tanned.
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This has become such a controversial topic. I personally LOVE tanning. I love the way I feel after a tanning session, and my skin looks amazing in the summer time. I actually feel kind of depressed in the summer if I don't have a nice tan, and I really don't want to wear shorts if my legs may possibly blind somebody from all the paleness! I also struggle with the whole chance of skin cancer risk. I feel better when I think pretty much anything can lead to cancer these days. At least I don't smoke or drink and I eat well and exercise. I only tan during the spring and summer months, and I do it in moderation. Hopefully, this is safe enough.
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Big nay for me, I don't like to harm my skin for confidence. I love my pale skin :flowerforyou:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I love looking tanned, but after watching my mother die slowly and painfully from skin cancer, it's just not worth it.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Yay, but in 15 or 20 minute doses each day just a few times per week. I spend too much time working indoors and need that vitamin D.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I used to love tanning but I've given it up. It made no sense to take care of my body by eating healthy food and exercising only to sabotage myself by tanning. Not only can it cause cancer, it causes premature aging. :noway: I do, however, enjoy spray tanning!

THIS.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Nay. I'm proud of my natural skin tone, and think other people should be too (whatever they may have). Genetically, you're a special snowflake--so many factors make your skin look the way it is. Also, I don't want my skin to age prematurely.

THIS.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I will do a spray tan...but I had a roommate when I was young who used to tan regularly...by the time she turned 30 her skin looked like she was 50, and she had to get moles removed every single year. So I avoid the booth at all costs.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    No way--already had one squamous cell carcinoma carved out of my face. You always think it won't be you until it is.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Nay, Guess I'm not Jersey Shore because I'm not fully down with the GTL. Gym is my favorite of GTL. Laundry is just something that has to be done that I never look forward to.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Tanning beds are terrible in my opinion. The health risks just outweigh the percieved benefits so drastically that it seems illogical to me - taking a vitamin D supplement seems like an all-round better option. As for appearance, well I think the condition of your skin is far more important than the colour. It's entirely possible to be pale AND healthy looking, and having a tan does not necessarily mean you look healthy.

With that aside, natural tanning in the sun as a result of being outside is quite attractive as I'm not someone that enjoys sitting around indoors when the sun is shining.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Nay on tanning beds, yay (if you want) on spray tans. Tanning is NOT worth the risk of skin cancer to me. I go out with my pale legs. Sure, would I look better tan? Most likely. But again, not worth the risk or the money to me.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Nay! despite the few benefits (SAD and psoriasis) it isnt worth the risk. Youd be MUCH better off changing your diet to cleaner energy boosting foods and forcing yourself to exercise than laying in that bed.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    yes! it's my nap time :)
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!!! You are microwaving your DNA every time you are exposed to UV rays, it literally causes physical damage to the structure of your DNA which can lead to cancer. On top of that, it causes wrinkles, age spots and a host of other skin problems. Don't get me wrong, I love being tan but I have found that tinted lotins get the job done without all of the risks.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    NAY NAY NAY! Skin cancer and leather skin are not attractive.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Nay - fake or otherwise. I like being pale.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen an 80 year old persons skin who tanned their whole life and are still tan? No offense but everything in moderation I think. I have seen age progression on my face at the doctors a few months apart and you get hidden signs of again you can only see with special light. The difference in those few months I was tanning for a bikini show.