Tanning - Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I used to love tanning but I've given it up. It made no sense to take care of my body by eating healthy food and exercising only to sabotage myself by tanning. Not only can it cause cancer, it causes premature aging. :noway: I do, however, enjoy spray tanning!

This! When you have seen someone suffer from cancer and die or have large chunks of skin removed due to skin cancer I can assure you all....you would change your mind about any kind of sun tanning! Get a spray tan or use the lotion.
  • pg1girl
    Options
    I have psoriasis too but I have also had 3 surgeries on my foot and 3 on my back to remove skin cancer. I will never use a tanning bed again. The pain and toll involved with skin cancer is not worth having a tan in the winter.

This! It is the most horrible thing and deadly! Please please please think twice!
  • pg1girl
    Options
    Yay, but in 15 or 20 minute doses each day just a few times per week. I spend too much time working indoors and need that vitamin D.

Take a vitamin d supplement and save yourself from possible melanoma.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Please explain how it helps you stay within your calorie limit. Maybe I'm a sceptic, but this doesn't sound possible

You can't take food into the sunbeds? :laugh:
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My mother is a 3 time cancer survivor. Tanning didn't cause it, but I'm a firm NAY against cancer causers.
  • Tiffany781
    Options
    I love to tan, but it is really bad for your skin. I recently saw a dermatologist and he said people need to learn how to love themselves for who they are and not need a tan to make themselves feel better or more attractive. Pretty good advise I guess.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Nay! I used to hammer the sunbeds but i've been sunbed free for over a year now cause i just don't feel its worth getting skin cancer not to mention premature ageing. For me its fake tan all the way. I'l never use a sunbed again. :smile:
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Obviously if you are trying to have a healthy lifestyle the answer is a big fat NAY.......hate to pee on anyones parade but we all already know the answer to this. No, this does not help with seasonal affective dissorder. I have a "happy lamp" that does that without harmful rays! If you want skin cancer and to look like a prune and much older than you really are I say go for it but it you truly want a healthy lifestyle inside and out stay far far away!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Nay....I'm a natural redhead, I don't tan. I wear a hat in the sun and sunscreen, I have OCD when it come to sunscreen....my kids will always be pasty white like me.

I also think they should ban tanning beds for anyone under the age of 18, that's just my opinion.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Nay! I love being pale. You will never catch me roasting myself in a tanning bed
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I don't do tanning beds but am naturally dark and tan easily outdoors. I spend a LOT of time outdoors in summer- I love swimming and swim every day when weather permits so I get tanned. And yes, I have age spots etc. I don't care. Any man who is turned off by age spots and wrinkles isn't the man for me anyway so who cares? I'm NOT staying indoors and avoiding the sun like some kind of spook. Freaky & unnatural.
    I use sunscreen and take normal precautions but I was born in summer- I was born to worship the sun.
  • harrietlg
    Options
    I like to keep my tan in a bottle, but only because theres skin cancer in my family and i don't want to go there!
  • pg1girl
    Options
    For peopl that suffer from SAD, tanning is a "godsend". I personally don't...anymore, but my *kitten* has found its way into a tanning bed plenty in the past.

Get a SAD light for therapy and take vitamin d. Living in a place where we only have 4 hours of daylight in the winter....I can assure you that you don't need to tan to get rid of the symptoms of SAD.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    very few things i enjoy more then spending the day at the beach getting a tan and reading/sleeping/swimming. i dont do it regularly anymore due to cancer fears but i still do it on real vacations like Hawaii.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I vote a huge NAY on tanning, but I do get why people do it.

I am losing weight so I can be healthy, and UV rays are not healthy, so I wouldn't ever even consider a tanning bed. (I am also a pasty white natural red head with a family member who's had skin cancer, so there's a thousand reasons why I wouldn't do it.)

However, I do find myself primping more often. I have more makeup than I have ever owned, I have used the fake tanners and I have recently started straightening my hair. None of these things will help me achieve my health goals, but somehow, when you start eating better and working out, you pay more attention to yourself in general, and usually that goes along with a desire to look good.
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    I prefer to be ghastly and glow in the dark, i love being pale. it used to get me teased alot in high school,but most of those girls that gave me hell look like they are 10 years older than me now

^This!
  • hollyeverhart
    Options
    I don't do tanning beds but am naturally dark and tan easily outdoors. I spend a LOT of time outdoors in summer- I love swimming and swim every day when weather permits so I get tanned. And yes, I have age spots etc. I don't care. Any man who is turned off by age spots and wrinkles isn't the man for me anyway so who cares? I'm NOT staying indoors and avoiding the sun like some kind of spook. Freaky & unnatural.
    I use sunscreen and take normal precautions but I was born in summer- I was born to worship the sun.

" I'm NOT staying indoors and avoiding the sun like some kind of spook. Freaky & unnatural"

I think missing chunks of flesh due to skin cancer is going to be worse looking then, GOD FORBID, being pale. Some of us prefer soft skin, not leathery aged skin.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I love tanning! I don't really go overboard with the tanning beds though. I'm white in the fall/winter. I always get a 1 month membership at the salon around this time so I won't be scarily pasty in the warm weather. But man when summer time comes around, I'm definitely outside soaking up the sun. Having a tan hides flaws and just makes you look good! And the sunshine makes you feel good! I have had 2 very close relatives die from cancer (one pancreatic and one a brain tumor) and they never did anything to raise their cancer risks. Never drank, smoked, weren't overweight, nothing. I'm not gonna live my life scared of getting cancer because if I'm gonna get it, I'm gonna get it. In the meantime I'm gonna enjoy my life and do what makes me happy!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    IMO, you may as well ask "skin cancer: yay or nay?" There are plenty of natural looking spray tanning or lotions to try.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Watch The Big C, you'll never tan unnecessarily ever again.