Tanning - Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    Nay! I love my color! People have told me I have porcelain skin but I don't know.. either way I find it to be a compliment. People have even sat there and argued with me that I'm not Mexican because of the color of my skin. Hello? I know what I am.
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Nay. I like my skin the color it is. I don't want to risk cancer. If I want to feel better, I would rather get a pedicure or massage. Just my opinion. If it makes you happy, good for you.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :smile: Couldnt agree more ...live in Western Australia....and use to sun tan all the time , but now i am paying the price ....My face has had so many procedures i have lost count ....
    Now i have Basal cell carcinoma on the Matrix of my thumb ...And having treatment with cream that has a price tag of $200 . ( ALDARA ) ...And in a few weeks a biopsy on my ankle ...for reoccuring sore that wont heal and is itchy ...
    I do go out in the sun ...but only with sun safe cream ...hat and long sleeve shirt .
    Check out pictures ...on profile .....this was a Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC or SqCC), only the size of a pimple ...when it started but lucky for me my doctor was on the ball and had it attended to ....Have had a flap done on my nose , also a bolster done on my nose all same thing ...and skin grafts from behind my ear ..to replace on my forehead .
    To tan or not to tan for me ...NO ... not if i want to live a full and happy life .
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I hate tanning to be honest, im irish im supposed to be pale! :ohwell:
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    I'm big Yea! I haven't done it in a while, but only because I haven't had time. It is ADDICTIVE! And I agree with you about it helping to stay in the zone - as far as cals, etc. I personally think it's the endorphines that the Vitamin D releases that give you that extra boost, not to mentionthat it just feels sooo good to be in that warm, safe space. I've seen news blurbs on the additive properties of it. I know it can have negative side effects. I cover my face for part of the time I'm in, so that it does less damage to my face, and my hands have some sun spots because I've done it so long. But I'm a tan addict. I admit it. Looking for time in my schedule now to start it again.
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    YAY for me! I love tanning as well.

It is actually a big motivator to get to the gym for me too, since I have tanning AT my gym and included in my membership. :D

I think it overall just makes me feel better & more confident.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Living long enough to know my future grandkids is more important than being brown. Plus, at 42 I still occassionally get carded for alcohol while some of my friends who tanned from a young age are getting carded for senior discounts.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    ERR
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Nay. I've never ever used a tanning bed or had any type of fake tan. I generously apply sunscreen when on the beach or in the sun at all... I'm not a fan of premature aging, sun spots, wrinkles, and skin cancer. I want to look healthy as long as I can - not just right now. My husband had to have a nice chunk of his back removed due to a malignant "mole" or "spot" from sun damage and now there's a nice big scar. No thanks. I slather the suncreen on him too!

Me too @ 40 getting carded for alcohol all the time and I prefer it stay that way :wink:
  • Time2Live99
    Options
    I love it, i feel amazing with a tan, I don't do it all the time, I only really tan right before spring to get some color, and thats about it.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Deninite NAY. I live in WA, (that's Western Australia BTW) and when I was younger, used to smother myself in Baby Oil and lie on the beach at Cottesloe and FRY all in the ope of getting a tan. Then I met my Scottish husband (in the winter so it wasn't the tan that hooked him) and went to live in Scotland. I was amazed at the beautiful skin on the British women who had naturally soft unwrinkled skin. Since then I have never tried to lie in the sun and get a tan.

As I have gotten older I have had numerous sun damage spots burnt off my face, hands, arms and legs. The skin on my backside and boobs where the sun has never been is lovely and smooth - the rest of me is wrinkly and blotchy. Tans may look and feel great whilst you are young, but you are older for a lot longer than you are young, if you know what I mean. If you are lucky that is and don't develop skin cancers.
  • martini83
    martini83 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Im a big yay! love to tan but it takes me ages to even start looking golden and i loose the colour very quickly over winter, as im doing beauty therapy i may just start faking it till i make it, so scared ill look orange though.
  • smahy0504
    smahy0504 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    YAAY! recommended to me by a dermatologist, to help with pretty bad eczema. I LOVE the feeling after I tan, so warm and fuzzy
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ... i'm 42 and used to tan a ton... NAY.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I prefer to be ghastly and glow in the dark, i love being pale. it used to get me teased alot in high school,but most of those girls that gave me hell look like they are 10 years older than me now
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I love the look of naturally tanned skin. I have been pining for spring and summer so hard lately, and would love to be a bit tan. I work in a sunless office all day, in the winter it gets awfully depressing!
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Yaaay for tans!

I wouldn't ever get in a sun bed, though...natural tanning is the way to go, or get a really good spray tan, or a bronzer.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    For peopl that suffer from SAD, tanning is a "godsend". I personally don't...anymore, but my *kitten* has found its way into a tanning bed plenty in the past.
  • Vjb2525
    Options
    YES.... it helps clear up my face and I love to get a good nap in... lol so thankful for timed shutoffs...
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Natural tanning - can't wait to open beach house for season!