Tanning - Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• Watchmedrop
    Options
    Tanning DOES actually help you lose weight! It increases your serotonin levels and gives you that feel good boost that you need to get up and get going. You feel better about yourself when you have a tan. If you don't believe it, then try it before you judge. It also promotes the production of vitamin D in your body. Most people don't get enough vitamin D which can lead to SADD, osteoporosis and breast cancer. Just sayin!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Nay. The Renaissance had it right. Fair skin = hawt.
  • traceyjayne64
    Options
    I love having a tan and id say im probably addicted to sunbeds, id use them every day if i could. I feel sexier with a tan, i look healthier and it cheers me up :smile:
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I used to love tanning but I've given it up. It made no sense to take care of my body by eating healthy food and exercising only to sabotage myself by tanning. Not only can it cause cancer, it causes premature aging. :noway: I do, however, enjoy spray tanning!

Love this post :)
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    Y'all who love those tanned bodies. Hope you have really good insurance or are financially well off - Dermatology is expensive and almost guaranteed by the time you turn 55. I have had places taken off my face, back, chest, and now have a basel cell to be taken off the crown of my head.
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just love my natural tan
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I hate it. Makes my skin feel awful, I hate heat, and tanned skin is quite unattractive in my opinion.

I coat myself in sunscreen 3 times a day to avoid tanning because I go 4 shades darker from just a 5 minute walk. I tan SO easily and I think it looks foul.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Nay, unless I happen walkign aorund in the open anyway, and then yes, I do tan. Going out with the purpose to tan? No way - I am fairly dark skinned and stll slather on SPF20 and above
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    For me personally its a nay. I love my pale porcelain skin. However If I am outside swimming and hanging out at the beach and I get a tan I'm okay with it. However I always wear like SPF 70 unless I find something higher! lol.
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to work on skin cancer drugs. There's a name for people who tan --> Customers.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Back in the 80's my Mom worked for a tanning place, so I did it too! Now, she's a leathery wrinkly mess, and I'm as pale as I naturally am! I'm so glad I gave it up when I did before I got too damaged. Mom also had a cousin who died from skin cancer. For me it's SPF 50 in the summer and self-tanners if I'm jonesing for some less-pale color whenever.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't tan... I burn very easily and have had two or three very bad burns that have had me laid up for weeks, so when the sun's out in force, I get the sun-block out on my nose, ears and neck.

The Hubster on the other hand has a natural tan and only has to be out gardening or walking and he goes as brown as a berry. The white stripes on his feet where his sandals cross over are so funny.

I'd like to have olive skin, but those are the breaks! :ohwell: I can't even use fake tan as even the body moisturiser with a hint of fake tan turn my beard and body hair orange - and that's not a good look :noway:
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I get really dark when I tan. It's the European in me. But anymore, I just don't think tanned skin is necessary to be attractive. Not for me or a girl. Sure, a little is fine, but two to five sessions per week? Nah...

Do yourself a favor and be awesome without it...
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I freaking love it....and although there are obvious health risks to it, for some reason it helps me want to be more active and stay within my calorie limits.

What about you?

Agreed! Just bought a package and have gone about 7 times so far. These winter months make me feel "blah", but when I'm tan, I feel soooo much better & think I look better, too! I also realize the health risks, but everything in moderation. And I also make sure to moisturize a TON so I don't look like a leather handbag. LOL
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

\\so I don't look like a leather handbag. LOL
    [/quote]

yet
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I went occasionally (3x month or so) last winter and enjoyed it, but when I moved to a more expensive apartment and had to cut expenses, it was one of the first to go. I kind of missed it this winter, but I'm just replacing all of the time I spent in the tanning bed with gym time and I feel even better :D
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Tanning DOES actually help you lose weight! It increases your serotonin levels and gives you that feel good boost that you need to get up and get going. You feel better about yourself when you have a tan. If you don't believe it, then try it before you judge. It also promotes the production of vitamin D in your body. Most people don't get enough vitamin D which can lead to SADD, osteoporosis and breast cancer. Just sayin!
    You can get Vitamin D in pill form. Cheaper than a tanning bed and no risk of cancer.
  • jrose74
    Options
    I love it!! It has helped my psoriasis also. My dermatologist recommended it years ago. I only do it a couple of times a month. I even bought my own bed several years ago. It makes me feel fabulous also. I was always told that chubby looks better with a tan.....lol. However skinny will look better......
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to tanning. In the sun and tanning beds. I'm 43 and have 4 skin cancers removed. Thankfully they have been the "good" kind but still cancer. Very scary. I'll be 100% honest - I still miss being tan. Sometimes I'll do my yardwork w/o sunscreen just to get a "little" color. Very risky and dumb.