Tanning - Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Tanning is a big NO. I don't tan anyway. I don't usually burn either. If I do anything I freckle. I'd rather have an even complexion and fewer wrinkles. Not to mention that mom, dad and siblings have all had skin cancers removed. I slather on the sunscreen and stay in the shade!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I know too many people battling or who have battled skin cancer to enjoy tanning. I tan accidentally when I'm active (my skin soaks up the sun very quickly), but always wear sunscreen.
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Definitely a YAY for me.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I love laying out in the sun, but I don't because wrinkles, sun spots, etc.

Actually, sun spots (not freckles) are a HUGE turn off for me...I try and stay as pale as I can (and even take whitening pills...)...one thing that surprised me is that asians from places like South Korea, Japan, and China have pretty much the same amount of melanin as the average white person...I think one of the reasons why they tend to age better is because of the obsession placed on fair skin...tan is NOT attractive in (most) asian cultures, so a lot of people incidentally avoid sun damage simply by trying to be pale.......
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've never tanned! I love the look, but I hate the sun exposure and I find it quite discomforting. However, I think I'm going to give it a try this summer! My excuse was always "I'm a white girl, why would I need to tan?" But I'm going to give it a go! I'm just worried about the health risks. And I have no idea how long, to use tanning oil or sunscreen instead, etc. so I'll be a little lost.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    <<<<<
    Should this be tanned? ya or nay?
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I'm a skin cancer survivor, so for ME, nay.

I'll not pretend to know what is best for YOU :happy:

Wanna see some scars?
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    Yay for me! Helped me with Psoriosis (no medication ever helped much) & SAD. I keep it minimal....once a month right when it starts to get dreary with seasonal changes.

Plus, I ALWAYS get a good base (about three tans or so) before a tropical vacation. Prevents me from getting burned up. I went to Cabo San Lucas last year with my bf, (ridiculously strong rays & not a cloud in the sky). I had a nice base tan and didn't burn at all, just ended up Snooki-status (even with 75 SPF)....the bf got burned up really badly...sun poisoning bad.
    I've been doing the pre-tropical tans for a while...a few years back I got a horrible burn and sun blisters in the Bahamas (talk about ruining a vaca) and someone suggested getting a base tan before I go, I swear by it now. (It was actually my best friend's suggestion, who got the advice from her oncologist :laugh: )

Obviously it doesnt mean I go sans SPF, it just prevents me from looking like a lobster and from spending the evening slapping aloe on myself when I could be grabbing a Mai Tai!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Naturally pale is beautiful.
  • jobster68
    Options
    I'm afraid I am a big big yay! I love it and I find it gives me more confidence to have a bit of colour!
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Nay. It's not for me. I grew up on an island and got burned to a crisp many, many times. I never really developed a tan. But after all the years of wicked sunburns, I'm sure I developed an increased risk of skin cancer. So because of health reasons, and because it just flat-out doesn't work for me, I choose to skip the tanning bed.

I say do whatever floats your boat, though! :smile:
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible feeling that sunbeds are going to be banned for inducing skin cancer pretty soon. There has been so much evidence to support these findings here in Australia.
    Spray away if you want to - although orange isn't my colour.... but some look good (ish)
    A little early morning or late afternoon sun is all you need to get a light tan and some vitamin D.....
    Just keep it real, and age gracefully.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I can take or leave a tan but where I live it's impossible not to be tan in summer (unless I stay inside all day). I think I look better with a bit of colour but I'm concerned about skin damage so I always wear sun cream in summer.
    I have a farmers tan: brown legs, arms, face and neck and white where my shorts and vest are. I really hate sunbathing. Naked I look like I'm wearing one of those Victorian bathing costumes. :laugh:
  • GothicAngel87
    Options
    I say yay to tanning but in small doses. i usually only do tanning if i have some plans and wanna look tanned not all the time.
    For example i m going away 20th March so will start my tanning begin of march two sessions a week
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Nay! I haven't tanned in a tanning bed since my early twenties, and I wear sunscreen when lying out in the summer. I actually prefer my naturally pale skin.
  • modgirlrachel
    modgirlrachel Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible feeling that sunbeds are going to be banned for inducing skin cancer pretty soon. There has been so much evidence to support these findings here in Australia.
    Spray away if you want to - although orange isn't my colour.... but some look good (ish)
    A little early morning or late afternoon sun is all you need to get a light tan and some vitamin D.....
    Just keep it real, and age gracefully.

They are being banned in NSW, they're being phased out over the next two years.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Love having a little tan. I don't look so pale and flushed out. Gives me some confidence and energy
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Nay! Pale and interesting for me. :-)
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I used too tan in the winter, but I'm naturally pale and it fades so quickly. It did help my winter acne when used in small doses. Those who are pale and freckly are way more likely to get cancer...so for my health's sake, I've given it up. I am intrigued by spray tanning though. I may have to try it.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    As a red-headed, freckle faced, blue-eyed, fair-complected, cancer-risk I'm a total nay. That's not to say I don't go out in the sun. I like going to the beach and skiing and hiking but I wear lots of sun block and my son does too. My husband wears less because he's a bit darker but he wears a hat. He has psoriasis on his hands, elbows and feet and it clears up in the sun. Also I think the sun helps my complexion, it's like Clearasil for free.