• sammydiva
    Options
    I cut up pieces of banana
    and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. :3
  • Caffeine_Addict
    Caffeine_Addict Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Always ground flax seeds & dates.
    Sometimes I add cinnamon & cardamom for a chai-like taste.
    And milk on top.

some great ideas here. Gonna try some :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    A pinch of ginger & nutmeg or I melt a square of green&blacks hazelnut chocolate on it. Add milk and eat.
  • chriscooney
    chriscooney Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain with skimmed milk!
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I eat Porridge (so oats with milk rather than water) and I used to have a tsp of cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins every day but am trying to wean myself of so now it's only a treat! I now have blackberries and cinnamon.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    For those of us who have very little time to cook/prep in the mornings.....what about Quaker's "Lower Sugar" Instant Oatmeal. Apples & Cinnamon, heated with WATER ONLY = 110 calories.

Instant oatmeal is processed which is why many people choose to make theirs on the stove top using steel cut oats. It's heartier, chewier, and minimally processed. From all the labels I've read, typical oatmeal runs at about 150 - 160 calories per serving. Personally I use Coach's Oats from Costco because they're steel cut and sugar free but you can add your own stuff and cook them in the microwave at 70% power for 3.5 minutes.

Also, 110 calories is also not enough for a meal so make sure you also eat some protein to bolster your breakfast (like cottage cheese, yogurt, or scrambled egg whites) on the side! :bigsmile:
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I use good old fashioned oats and add green apple, chopped walnuts, cinnamon and a touch of natural brown sugar. All (except the brown sugar) are cholesterol busting ingredients, especially the oats.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I especially like the idea of adding pumpkin...
  • MrsTattie
    MrsTattie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm from the uk and a bit confused with some of the ingredients here! Is Splenda a sugar substitute? What are craisins? Cranberries?
    I would never think of adding eggs!! Or cheese! Some great ideas here!
    I have a handful of raisins with some syrup or some fresh fruit in the summer.
    These ideas have reminded me that I used to have cinnamon with apple.....must try that tomorrow!
    However you eat it enjoy your porridge!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    For those of us who have very little time to cook/prep in the mornings.....what about Quaker's "Lower Sugar" Instant Oatmeal. Apples & Cinnamon, heated with WATER ONLY = 110 calories.

I'm curious then, what's the calorie count for those of you who do NOT use the instant and are adding other ingredients (fruits, flax, etc)?

I prepare mine at night and slow cook in a mini crock pot. {I use a lamp timer to turn it on at about 2am} It holds one serving. So I wake to a hot, ready made, bowl of oatmeal.

With the oatmeal, fruit, milk, and chia seeds the whole meal comes to about 220-230 calories.
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    half a banana and some ffgy - delicious:)
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bananas :)
  • jnance82
    jnance82 Posts: 149
    Options
    cinnamon and Equal

10502719.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • dougriffle
    Options
    I just eat the Quaker brown sugar weight control oatmeal. 220 Calories total with skim milk, the packet only has 1g of sugar. I'm a college guy with no money, so I have to be really cheap with what I buy in order to lose weight, so I have to buy the packets rather than plain oatmeal and then fruits to go with it. I don't see any harm in it. I am curious to know how it tastes with water, but if I don't put milk in it, I won't get any milk during the day because I can't stand drinking milk in a glass. I'm weird and I would just sit there and think about what I'm drinking and were it came from. I don't do that when it is mixed in with food (except for cereal). I was eating cereal (Honey bunches of oats I think) every mourning until yesterday when I started thinking about sugar, so I've decided to go to just oatmeal which lowers my sugar (not including milk sugar) down from 12g to 1g for breakfast. I have no control over what I have made for dinner so I am lowering things like sugar and fat from the other meals in the day which I can control.
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill whole oats with half a Tbsp. of honey and a big dash of cinnamon!:drinker:
  • PattyfromToledo
    PattyfromToledo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    sometimes walnuts and banana or lately walnuts and some apple butter ... both are very good
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use a packet of stevia to sweeten, and usually add dried cranberrries, raisins, or dried blueberres. If I used freeze-dried strawberries (I love the Archer Farms brand from Target), I find I don't need extra sweetener. Sometimes I use DaVinci sugar-free syrups - lime oatmeal is delicious and freakishly green! LOL I always cook my oatmeal in skim milk.
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Steelcut Oatmeal, frozen--only add 2 Tbl Silk 40 cal Almond Milk, everyday
  • EzraCCM
    Options
    I'm surprised at the number of people who put PB in their oatmeal! I thought I was weird to do that. I guess not.
    I especially love the Honey Roasted crunchy PB in mine... I eat it before every long (10 miles or more) run.
  • gogidget
    gogidget Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    raisins & 1 tsp brown sugar, or 2 tbsp trail mix (I like the texture & crunch)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Unflavored protein powder and a spoon of chocolate peanut butter.