Just For Today

Options
I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 20 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, I find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just for Today: I will track my food manually, not just mentally.
  • raftermaid
    Options
    Sounds like a quote from any 12 step program. How true it is though!! Thanks for the reminder. I will only deal with today. Manually trackg my intake today as well and I will meet my water intake goal!!
  • ical50
    ical50 Posts: 61
    Options
    Great way to think about it Kate! Thank you! For today, I will make healthy choices and get my exercise in!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will make sure I'm drinking enough water.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will love the struggle that forces me to be stronger.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will eat to live,not live to eat.
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    one day at a time. Hang in there.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: Focus focus focus
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: No junk food!:grumble:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will face my stuff, not stuff my face.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will not undo the good that I have done this week.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will NOT make cake. (no matter how badly I want to):noway:
  • schavarry
    Options
    Just for Today: I will NOT make cake. (no matter how badly I want to):noway:

This one is really hard for me! I really like baking stuff like breads, cupcakes, brownies, cookies... And then it's staring at me like "EAT ME". I can only get rid of so much...
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for today: I will remember the difference between "can't" and "won't". Can't implies there is no choice. I choose how and what I eat. This is my responsibility!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: water water water
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Just for today I will plan to track my food as I've been doing for two weeks.

Just for today I will acknowledge that I'm human and I likely WILL make mistakes :-)
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will avoid "invisible calories". Invisible calories are innocent calories that sneak in without me being aware of them: Sampling dinner while I cook, finishing the crust off of my child's sandwich, licking the peanut butter off of the knife, etc.....
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will make it fun!
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: I will be patient.