People who have pro-anorexia profiles

Options

Replies

• mayatiger
    Options
    Everyone in this thread needs more excitement in their lives...

I think we just got some...howudoin'?

:laugh:
    **like**
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

or just...pie. I need pie!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that but I can say I HATE advice given to me by skinny young girls who have never been fat and are in their young 20's because I was there once to thin with a faster metabolism... I also don't like seeing people on here who know they are not fat who have no real weight to lose .... that is just me though

Not to hijack this thread...but seriously I can't believe this kind of attitude. "People who know they're not fat?" So I only have 5 pounds to lose, I'm at a healthy weight and I run half marathons...and you don't "like" seeing people like me on here? Would it be better if I gained my 40 lbs back so I "fit in" here? That's pretty rude...what if someone made a site saying "no fat people" and said no one who had more than 10 pounds to lose could be on that site? Wouldn't that be ridiculous and rude? YES.

Give me a FREAKIN break. This is MyFitnessPal, not MyFatPal, not MySkinnyPal...MyFitnessPal. For people to work on their health and fitness.

Sorry to yell, but I am getting tired of the bashing and judgement. Anyone who wants to be here and can abide by the rules should be here. Which brings us back to the original topic. If someone is advocating pro-ana behavior, they are breaking the rules of the site. But you don't have to be the anti-ED police and go around looking for people to report...that does not help them, unfortunately. If you really feel like you want to help, private messages of concern might help. And urging people to seek professional help.
  • InvictusPhoenix
    Options
    I don't know about that but I can say I HATE advice given to me by skinny young girls who have never been fat and are in their young 20's because I was there once to thin with a faster metabolism... I also don't like seeing people on here who know they are not fat who have no real weight to lose .... that is just me though

that's ok, the young 20 year olds don't like bitter older women either.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

that's ok, the young 20 year olds don't like bitter older women either.

awesome response.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I was perusing this thread a few hours ago and I'm surprised it's still going. Seriously, the OP is NOT trying to ban all users who have anorexia or eating disorders. She's not trying to ban anyone! The profiles/users in concern are those that promote anorexia and that behavior, with no intent of being healthy. I myself have run across a couple of these profiles too. Such profiles are promoting an extremely dangerous lifestyle, are in clear contravention of site rules, and as a fellow MFP user, the OP has every right to report such profiles/users if she feels it is necessary.

Seriously..this has been blown way out of proportion.

"I did not see anywhere to report the profile."

Not posts or other PUBLIC material. A profile is not "promotion." Posts are. The OP is being judgmental. Had she asked how to report posts, it's a simple matter and I'd have helped her, but my profile is private for this very reason. Not because I'm anorexic, but because who I am includes several things widely discriminated against in our current society and I am here for ME, not to give prejudiced jerks someone to "report."
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

again-it's MyFitnessPal-not MyFatPal
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options

Hahaha definitely this! ^^^^
  • FitLink
    Options
    For those in the "mind your own biz" camp...do just that. If she wants to report it, that's the OP's biz.

I've seen profile's that do state "pro-ana, report me for it if you like!". I read it the same way as if someone posts that they are planning to commit suicide, and call the cops if you wanna!

If you are in recovery for ANY behavior, you deserve respect and kudos. You have both from me.

I agree, I consider it exactly the same thing as if someone says they are going to kill themselves. Let's face it, people who say "Go ahead and report me," want to be reported. That's a great attention-getting scheme, and most of the people in question don't do that.

Personal choice is just that--personal. If someone asks for help, I certainly want to give it. But if they don't, it doesn't help them, me, or anyone else to report them, so why do it? Who benefits from reporting profiles of people whose personal choices we don't like? Reporting posts is quite different from reporting profiles.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This has gotten SO nasty. This is a site for HEALTH, Ana is NOT healthy, it's DEADLY. I don't have a problem with the original poster and I think that this site is not meant to be pro ana whatsoever.
    It's my FITness pal, not Myana pal. so honestly, I do not think that OP is being judgmental. I think she's being concerned about those who want to starve to death.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I understand why you would be upset since we're all working hard to get healthy and fit, but I also understand their point of view. I have battled with anorexia since I was eight years old. At my worst at 15, it's a serious disease. These profiles were created in that mindset. There is not one thing on these people's minds but how to get rid of every ounce of fat on their body, even if there's none left. I agree, you should pray for them. Telling them their wrong doesn't fix anything. I still look in the mirror everyday and wish the same things as the people stuck at the bottom of the eating disorder pit. But I need to make a change. Please try to be understandable, it only fuels the fire to say things like that..
    Not trying to argue, just make a point.

This. Anorexia (and other eating disorders) is a serious disease. Reporting a person to an internet moderator isn't really going to do much, except maybe make that person be more driven to be anorexic. Praying for someone with a disease is about all you can do. It's no different than any other serious disease...not our place to judge anyone in that position, and honestly I'd just keep my distance (in internet terms). There's not really anything you can do.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I know we arent friends on here, but I never make it to 1000 calories a day. I dont have an ED, I used to but not anymore. I just find it hard to get those calories up when I'm not that hungry, I'm not going to force myself to eat just to make it to my recommended 1200 a day. I'm sure there are others on here who are similar...

You have hormonal issues thats why you arent hungry.
    This is probably due to your past ED.
    Ghrelin is what i'm referring to btw.

If you started eating a regular caloric day say 1600-1800 for women 5'2" and above who work out 3-5 times a week you would actually trigger the hormone and start eating again.
    But this may not be to your liking so enjoy the catabolism as you lose muscle, fat and possible bone density.
    And the fact that unless you are below 4'5" you arent getting enough nutrients to vital organs like the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs, thyroid etc...etc...etc...
    In essence you are slowly killing yourself.

Please dont take this as a personal attack but sometimes the facts can be eye opening to the point of action.
    So far 2 of my friends started out just like you and now they are eating 1600-1800 cals/day and building lean fantastic bodies.

So OP yes! Speak up if you see something wrong!
    I just did!

What so because I'm female it must automatically be hormonal? I am NOT killing myself thank you very much. Unless I eat KFC or **** food like that, I am not going to hit 1200 calories. I refuse to binge eat just to make up my calories. If I'm full then I'm full. If I dont make my calories then so what.

I'm not sure how suggesting you eat more even if you are not hungry is any different than suggesting I eat less even though I AM hungry. If you had an eating disorder your endocrine system is out of balance, and probably will be for years to come. While some hormones are associated with being female, others are associated with being male and still others are just hormones that have no gender association at all. Even "female" and "male" hormones all occur in both females and males. It remains true that eating less that 1000 calories a day is going to adversely affect your health; more, in fact, that being overweight would. If health is the goal, eating less than 1000 calories should be avoided. Believe me when I say that you don't have to binge at KFC to get 1200 calories/day. I know it's work and I know you don't feel like eating; I am hungry every single day, but I continue to eat less than I want to.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Ouch... so as soon as someone hits a weight in the 'healthy range' they should be ousted from the MFP community? I've been at a healthy BMI since September and hit my goal weight about a month ago. Should I no longer be allowed to participate? I'd like to think I have something to offer to people just starting out on their goal to be healthier. Maybe there are other women facing their 40th birthday with 50 pounds to lose that I might like to cheer along. Or possibly I still need the community's support and accountability to maintain my weight loss.

There are MANY valid reasons for people to remain a part of this community - even after goals are achieved.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Ah FitLink, I Hear ya (about the hard work bit).
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi Folks,

This is a relatively charged topic, so please try to keep your comments polite and constructive.

Our current guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ) prohibit the use of public forums, profile names, or profile bylines, to promote eating disorders as a lifestyle option.

We do not currently monitor wall posts, private messages, or profile text. If you see an individual who is clearly using our public forums to promote ED, please let me know.

If you see a post promoting ED as a solution, please feel free to click "report post."

However, posts made requesting support for recovery, etc., are not prohibited. Just posts encouraging others to use unsafe eating habits to lose weight.

The guideline in question is:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options

:noway: and you know that they have NEVER been fat how??? I look great in my profile pic because I've worked my *kitten* off to lose the weight I needed to lose to feel confident in my body and to get into better shape. The site is call myFITNESSpal ... it's about promoting being healthy and getting FIT. I know I'm not "fat" but that doesn't mean that I don't belong on this site and who cares that I only need/want to lose 5 lbs to get where I want to be and to be confident and happy????
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    So if we ban the under eaters because its unhealthy can we ban the over eaters too? And how about the smokers , alcoholics, and drug users? Well eating meat is unhealthy so that's got to go. Umm how about we realize that non of us are doing it 100% right or we would not be on here and quit picking at every one else's faults
    And look at our own.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you Steven.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options
    Hi Folks,

This is a relatively charged topic, so please try to keep your comments polite and constructive.

Our current guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ) prohibit the use of public forums, profile names, or profile bylines, to promote eating disorders as a lifestyle option.

We do not currently monitor wall posts, private messages, or profile text. If you see an individual who is clearly using our public forums to promote ED, please let me know.

If you see a post promoting ED as a solution, please feel free to click "report post."

However, posts made requesting support for recovery, etc., are not prohibited. Just posts encouraging others to use unsafe eating habits to lose weight.

The guideline in question is:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff

Thank you Steven! :flowerforyou:
  • I don't know about that but I can say I HATE advice given to me by skinny young girls who have never been fat and are in their young 20's because I was there once to thin with a faster metabolism... I also don't like seeing people on here who know they are not fat who have no real weight to lose .... that is just me though

This website is about fitness...not about being "skinny". You can be skinny and not be fit. The journey to getting in shape is not restricted to a specific weight range. I will GLADLY take advice from ANYONE who can help me get where I want to be...and these people should serve you as INSPIRATION rather than DISDAIN.