People who have pro-anorexia profiles

Options
Is there a way to "report" people's profiles who are advocating anorexia on mfp? I had stumbled over a topic that had been locked by mfp because it was promoting anorexia. I noticed the girls name which was something about skinny, I cannot remember it now. I went on her profile and she and her friends were really advocating anorexia on their profiles. I did not see anywhere to report the profile.

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but there has to be a way. I routinely delete friends who do not eat 1000 calories a day.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Wow! May be you should stay off her and her friends profile.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    When I see that, I just pray for them, try to post encouraging things when I see them around the forum, and hope that by being on MFP surrounded by people who are trying to be healthy, maybe they'll be influenced in the right way. But it's got to be hard to balance the truth against the lie your own mind is telling you, especially when there are others willing to feed it. Honestly, for anyone who is less than confident, this whole forum is hard to safely find your way around in. You have to learn quickly how to filter out the unhealthy advice and the spam.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This was really bad. Her goals were to have a sunken in face, have no boobs because they are fat, and have 0% body fat etc. Just disgusting!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Delete?
  • RayRay1500
    Options

I am asking about a serious situation.
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Why do you care what their profiles say. How does that impact you and your weightloss?
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    This was really bad. Her goals were to have a sunken in face, have no boobs because they are fat, and have 0% body fat etc. Just disgusting!

So her goal was to be dead? That's really sad.

Did she ask you to go on her profile? Did she ask you to become anorexic with her? Did she ask you to check out her friends? If not, then it's not really your place to report it. She wasn't pushing it on you. I'm pro-eating...a lot....even junk food. Should I be banned?
  • hewwokitty
    hewwokitty Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I understand why you would be upset since we're all working hard to get healthy and fit, but I also understand their point of view. I have battled with anorexia since I was eight years old. At my worst at 15, it's a serious disease. These profiles were created in that mindset. There is not one thing on these people's minds but how to get rid of every ounce of fat on their body, even if there's none left. I agree, you should pray for them. Telling them their wrong doesn't fix anything. I still look in the mirror everyday and wish the same things as the people stuck at the bottom of the eating disorder pit. But I need to make a change. Please try to be understandable, it only fuels the fire to say things like that..
    Not trying to argue, just make a point.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have given links to the moderators before.. but there isn't anything they can do. They can delete pro-ana topics.. but thats about it.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    link their profile to Steven via a PM.

I don't know what he'll do about it, I know he discourages promoting EDs on the forums but I don't know if there is a rule about keeping it on the profiles.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from eating disorders and go on pro-anorexic sites for tips and ideas. I was hospitalized, medicated, and even almost had a feeding tube shoved up my nose (if that doesn't make you start to eat, I don't know what will), but honestly, the sites didn't make me anorexic or bulimic or any sicker than I already was. It was actually comforting to know that there were others out there like me--sick as we all were. I certainly don't think it's appropriate to have pro-eating disorder sites or topics here at MFP, but I also wouldn't worry about getting them kicked off MFP or getting their profiles deleted. They aren't going to "give" someone an eating disorder that doesn't already have one or won't already get one at some point.

Eating disorders (especially the "pro-ana/mia" community) have nothing to do with food or weight, and everything to do with control, manipulation, low self-esteem, insecurity, fear, and rebellion. It's very sad, but it's also not going to hurt anyone who isn't already hurting. Getting their profiles deleted would probably just fuel the fire for them to keep doing what they're doing.

It's just a shame a place that is for health and fitness is polluted with such sick people... but so is the workplace, the mall, the gym, school and every where else.

I'm just so grateful that I have made it to the other side.
  • RayRay1500
    Options
    I have given links to the moderators before.. but there isn't anything they can do. They can delete pro-ana topics.. but thats about it.

Thanks so much.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options

I am asking about a serious situation.
    Yeah. This site is free to all, but it does have guidelines and is for people who want to be healthy, not anorexic. There really should be a way to report those people. There are plenty of other sites out there that they could use. I want them to be well and healthy. I will pray for them when I come across their profiles, but what they are advocating is wrong and dangerous.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options

The point is you can't save everybody. Your intentions maybe well intended. However, reporting her profile is not going to solve her problems. Perhaps if she is still on MFP a word her or there could help her. If she is banned from here, she will continue the cycle some other place.
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think that pro-ana and mia people should be banned from the site. They're only here to manipulate the tools given so they can keep track of how little they're eating, how much they need to purge later and so on. Anorexia and Bulimia are serious mental illnesses and should not be taken lightly. Many girls have literally starved themselves to death. I heard of one bulimic girl (1000 ways to die) who binged so much, her stomach lining ripped and she died. So please, nobody suggest we just ignore them when we can do something to help them.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I mean at least they are on here,a website that was created with healthy intentions and maybe it will have a good impact on them? It hurts my soul when I read some of these girls profiles because really all that they want is attention and the love they feel is lacking in their lives. Poor souls :(
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's right to just give up because they're "going to do it anyway" either.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to "report" people's profiles who are advocating anorexia on mfp?

Yes, and I do often.

Send Steven a link to their profile. Put Pro-ANA in the subject line. He's very diligent about responding.

And before anyone jumps in my *kitten* about it... there is a difference between working toward recovery and promoting it!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    So please, nobody suggest we just ignore them when we can do something to help them.

Absolutely agree.