People who have pro-anorexia profiles

Options

Replies

• Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    So please, nobody suggest we just ignore them when we can do something to help them.

It it really our responsibility though? They're obviously trying to kill themselves and if I want to ignore someone doing that, then so be it.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Isn't overeating a disorder?

Awww yeah. Success!! :drinker:

And look at all the people who are here so they can STOP overeating. Try again.

So, it's okay to be a member if you overeat, but not if you undereat?
    I might be reading this wrong, sorry if so... I really am just trying to understand.

Overeating/undereating and looking for help/support in fixing the problem, member-approved.

Overeating/undereating and looking for support/to influence others INTO said lifestyle? Not so good.

Recovering persons are a different story altogether, but I don't think pro-eds have much of a place here. And I doubt the ones supporting each other in starving are really looking to change.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to "report" people's profiles who are advocating anorexia on mfp? I had stumbled over a topic that had been locked by mfp because it was promoting anorexia. I noticed the girls name which was something about skinny, I cannot remember it now. I went on her profile and she and her friends were really advocating anorexia on their profiles. I did not see anywhere to report the profile.

...lots and lots of people on here have "skinny" or "lets get thin" or something like that in their profile name. That does NOT automatically mean they are pro-anorexia. Just a thought.

I totally understand that. Between the statements and the name, it made me take a look.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I think this really is the same argument as governmental involvement in people's lives. What gives the powers that be the right to police these people's lives, or anybody's for that matter. Is it really up to a "governing" body (like MFP in this case) to stipulate how people choose to treat their bodies? If they are in danger, or promoting dangerous habits, shouldn't judging or helping them be the responsibility of their parents, friends, teachers, social network??

Yes I think anorexia is bad. Yes I think they need help. But unless it is your daughter, sister, student etc...stay out of it. It's none of your business.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Isn't overeating a disorder?

Awww yeah. Success!! :drinker:

And look at all the people who are here so they can STOP overeating. Try again.

So, it's okay to be a member if you overeat, but not if you undereat?
    I might be reading this wrong, sorry if so... I really am just trying to understand.

The people on MFP are trying to lose weight, that's why those over eaters are here. They're not here to eat MORE to gain more. Pro-Ana/Mia people are abusing the site to lose weight in unhealthy ways that involve starvation or binge/purge/restriction cycles. Overeaters on MFP are here to recover that's why they don't get banned, people who are here PROMOTING and encouraging eating disorders aren't, that's the difference.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Wow this sure caught a lot of peoples attention! Actually though if someone looked at my pictures they could think that I was pro ana when I am really not. Sometimes we have to be careful how we interpret things. Wonder if there would be the same response if the topic was about pro obese? Everyone is so quick to judge. I thank all of you that are not. I get judged enough from people day to day here in the real world. Dont need it in the cyber world too
  • RayRay1500
    Options
    I think many people in this thread are failing to see the difference between pro-ana, and anorexic. The pro in pro-ana means "for" or "promoting". It's the opposite of "con".

It's ok to be anorexic and working toward recovery. It's not really ok to promote anorexia.
    It's ok to be overfat and working toward recovery. It's not really ok to promote obesity.

Thank you. That is all I wad concerned about.
  • RayRay1500
    Options
    Wow this sure caught a lot of peoples attention! Actually though if someone looked at my pictures they could think that I was pro ana when I am really not. Sometimes we have to be careful how we interpret things. Wonder if there would be the same response if the topic was about pro obese? Everyone is so quick to judge. I thank all of you that are not. I get judged enough from people day to day here in the real world. Dont need it in the cyber world too

I did not day anything about pictures. It was what she said. There There was no room for misinterpretation.
  • Mrsairforce
    Options
    They need this website and the encouragement of all of us...dont get them banned, get them help. I used to binge and purge as a young girl and then the binge got out of control and I went on a dangerous path.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    To the people who are saying worry about yourself , maybe they should read the guidelines

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.

And also

2. No Hi-Jacking Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.

See! This is why you're my friend...lol!
  • Twiinkless
    Twiinkless Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I understand why you would be upset since we're all working hard to get healthy and fit, but I also understand their point of view. I have battled with anorexia since I was eight years old. At my worst at 15, it's a serious disease. These profiles were created in that mindset. There is not one thing on these people's minds but how to get rid of every ounce of fat on their body, even if there's none left. I agree, you should pray for them. Telling them their wrong doesn't fix anything. I still look in the mirror everyday and wish the same things as the people stuck at the bottom of the eating disorder pit. But I need to make a change. Please try to be understandable, it only fuels the fire to say things like that..
    Not trying to argue, just make a point.

I've also been dealing with anorexia and bulimia for three years now. These girls are clearly sick, and when you're eateing disordered a website like this seems like a dream come true. You can tell these girls they're wrong, but that won't change them because anorexia is not a choice, it is a serious illness and the only way they can get better is by getting proper medical help. Reporting them is not going to help them or you. You can encourage them to seek help, and that's about it. If you get their profiles deleted, they're not going to miraculously recover. That's just how it is.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from eating disorders and go on pro-anorexic sites for tips and ideas. I was hospitalized, medicated, and even almost had a feeding tube shoved up my nose (if that doesn't make you start to eat, I don't know what will), but honestly, the sites didn't make me anorexic or bulimic or any sicker than I already was. It was actually comforting to know that there were others out there like me--sick as we all were. I certainly don't think it's appropriate to have pro-eating disorder sites or topics here at MFP, but I also wouldn't worry about getting them kicked off MFP or getting their profiles deleted. They aren't going to "give" someone an eating disorder that doesn't already have one or won't already get one at some point.

Eating disorders (especially the "pro-ana/mia" community) have nothing to do with food or weight, and everything to do with control, manipulation, low self-esteem, insecurity, fear, and rebellion. It's very sad, but it's also not going to hurt anyone who isn't already hurting. Getting their profiles deleted would probably just fuel the fire for them to keep doing what they're doing.

It's just a shame a place that is for health and fitness is polluted with such sick people... but so is the workplace, the mall, the gym, school and every where else.

I'm just so grateful that I have made it to the other side.

Thank you for sharing your story and adding your insight! And I'm grateful you have made it to the other side, too!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I think we should ban people who pass judgment on others. :)

Um, we should probably ban the entire human race then.
  • RayRay1500
    Options
    I think this really is the same argument as governmental involvement in people's lives. What gives the powers that be the right to police these people's lives, or anybody's for that matter. Is it really up to a "governing" body (like MFP in this case) to stipulate how people choose to treat their bodies? If they are in danger, or promoting dangerous habits, shouldn't judging or helping them be the responsibility of their parents, friends, teachers, social network??

Yes I think anorexia is bad. Yes I think they need help. But unless it is your daughter, sister, student etc...stay out of it. It's none of your business.

Wow, comparing me to big brother? Mfp is here for people to be healthy. They are clear this is not allowed. I am a member.
    Yes I believe this makes it enough of my business to inquire.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I agree with you it just makes me really sick to my stomach that anorexic ppl turn to this site to track their eating disorder. I seen that girls profile and honestly if I'd meet someone like that in person it would make me wanna choke the **** outta them. The things ppl do to their bodies is just heart renching. But @ the same time I also feel that it's just like any other type of addiction so to each their own if they wanna starve themeselves to death the least we can do is sit back and watch them shrink. Not encourage them but you know just watch them. Can't do anything bout it. You can't tell them to eat more they ain't gonna listen. Can't do **** bout it. just saying so just focus on yourself. Don't let it piss you off too much.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I think we should ban people who pass judgment on others. :)

Um, we should probably ban the entire human race then.

Thank you. No one is this guilt-free.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Wow! May be you should stay off her and her friends profile.

I am asking about a serious situation.
    Yeah. This site is free to all, but it does have guidelines and is for people who want to be healthy, not anorexic. There really should be a way to report those people. There are plenty of other sites out there that they could use. I want them to be well and healthy. I will pray for them when I come across their profiles, but what they are advocating is wrong and dangerous.

I agree. If someone was drinking and driving and we were on the road with them, we'd report their reckless behavior. If someone was threatening to kill themselves, we'd report them for fear that they'd actually do it. Why wouldn't we also report someone for WANTING to partake in an unhealthy lifestyle like anorexia?? I say send the link to their profile to the mods and see what they can do. They (the profile owners) need help and they won't get it by being ignored.
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This is what my problem is, it really has nothing to do with the Pro-Eating Disorders, it the fact that she wants to report the persons profile. Why go look for trouble? why is there a need to police other peoples profiles? The Boards, yes I hit report many times in a day, but I do not go to that persons profile just to find something that might offend me and get my panties all twisted so I can report them.
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options

:drinker:
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

Wow, comparing me to big brother? Mfp is here for people to be healthy. They are clear this is not allowed. I am a member.
    Yes I believe this makes it enough of my business to inquire.

No I compared MFP to big brother.

That would make you like..... ... a little brother minion.

Actually this whole thread makes me visualize old ladies staring out the window at the young women neighbors passing judgment through their lace curtains. :laugh: