People who have pro-anorexia profiles

Options

Replies

• RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    To the people who are saying worry about yourself , maybe they should read the guidelines

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.

And also

2. No Hi-Jacking Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.

See! This is why you're my friend...lol!

This is my point of asking.
  • Luvlynamazing
    Options
    I think we should ban people who pass judgment on others. :)

this.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I still don't get it.

Are you all saying It's okay if you've "seen the light" and are here to recover/ become healthy.
    If not, "go away" ?
    If it is, fine. It's not my name on this site so I don't make the rules. Just seems like a solution is needed so as not to exclude others from becoming healthy.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I think this really is the same argument as governmental involvement in people's lives. What gives the powers that be the right to police these people's lives, or anybody's for that matter. Is it really up to a "governing" body (like MFP in this case) to stipulate how people choose to treat their bodies? If they are in danger, or promoting dangerous habits, shouldn't judging or helping them be the responsibility of their parents, friends, teachers, social network??

Yes I think anorexia is bad. Yes I think they need help. But unless it is your daughter, sister, student etc...stay out of it. It's none of your business.

:drinker:

I like. :smile:
  • RayRay1500
    Options
    I think this really is the same argument as governmental involvement in people's lives. What gives the powers that be the right to police these people's lives, or anybody's for that matter. Is it really up to a "governing" body (like MFP in this case) to stipulate how people choose to treat their bodies? If they are in danger, or promoting dangerous habits, shouldn't judging or helping them be the responsibility of their parents, friends, teachers, social network??

Yes I think anorexia is bad. Yes I think they need help. But unless it is your daughter, sister, student etc...stay out of it. It's none of your business.

Wow, comparing me to big brother? Mfp is here for people to be healthy. They are clear this is not allowed. I am a member.
    Yes I believe this makes it enough of my business to inquire.

No I compared MFP to big brother.

That would make you like..... ... a little brother minion.

Actually this whole thread makes me visualize old ladies staring out the window at the young women neighbors passing judgment through their lace curtains. :laugh:

You really are not getting it. Advocating anorexia is against the mfp rules. You may need to look them over again.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

Wow, comparing me to big brother? Mfp is here for people to be healthy. They are clear this is not allowed. I am a member.
    Yes I believe this makes it enough of my business to inquire.

No I compared MFP to big brother.

That would make you like..... ... a little brother minion.

Actually this whole thread makes me visualize old ladies staring out the window at the young women neighbors passing judgment through their lace curtains. :laugh:

You really are not getting it. Advocating anorexia is against the mfp rules. You may need to look them over again.

*facepalm*

I know it's against the rules. That's why I said:
    Is it really up to a "governing" body (like MFP in this case) to stipulate how people choose to treat their bodies?

Sheesh.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    HOW is banning them from the site helping them? Have you never had an ED? it is a dark dark place full of self hatred. Banning them from a Healthy website would shove most even farther over the edge.

I agree with this.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Reading Comprehension is no longer widely taught, is it?

*sigh*
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Wow! May be you should stay off her and her friends profile.

I am asking about a serious situation.

But you are not responsible for the whole world--or even the whole MFP; you are only responsible for you. If they are underage, they are their parents' responsibility, and if they are adults they are responsible for themselves. If they ask your opinion, give it. Otherwise it's really not your business. I know that's hard to hear, but you can't and shouldn't be responsible for everyone.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

*sigh*

Yeh everyone on this thread COMPLETELY missed the point of what she was trying to say ......stop jumping down her throat already
  • RayRay1500
    Options
    I am not trying to rule the world. I asked a question. I did not even say anything about getting her banned. I do not go and look at everyone's profiles. No need to get so hostile and mad.
  • keithdpeters
    keithdpeters Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Interesting.
  • RayRay1500
    Options

*sigh*

Yeh everyone on this thread COMPLETELY missed the point of what she was trying to say ......stop jumping down her throat already

Thank you for paying attention.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I had a friend on MFP that had an ED issue and was in total denial about it. She worked out regularly and regularly ate under 1000 calories. All of her friends made excuses for her and every day she had a new "plan" on how she was going to eat more. She was a college kid, living w/ her parents, and had lost 60 lbs eating less than 800 cals a day.

Anyhow, she posted something to the effect that she wanted her MFP friends to keep her accountable and how could she add more healthy calories to her diet. Of course I suggested, stay away from the fat free crap, drink full fat or 2% milk, eat peanut butter, use olive or canola oil while cooking, whole grain breads, etc....

A week later she posts something about how she wants to eat more, blah, blah, blah (do you see where I'm going with this?)

I sent her a message this time and suggested she go to her parents and get PROFESSIONAL help. She gave me some PC answer, yada, yada....

I figured if she isn't ready to help herself there's nothing I can do to help her.

I de-friended her.

As my dad used to tell me when I'd try to bring home a new stray animal "You can't save the world".....
  • dwyerke
    Options
    Say a prayer asking God to help them overcome their disease. And then say a prayer thanking God that you do not have an eating disorder.
  • tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Deleting Profiles for under 1000 cal. intake is retarded...maybe you need not judge! I only get 1200 cal. a day and sometimes I eat 2-3 cups of arugula (because I love it) and its only 20-30 cal. but very filling. People please read what you post and try to treat others in a positive way :)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    I think that pro-ana and mia people should be banned from the site. They're only here to manipulate the tools given so they can keep track of how little they're eating, how much they need to purge later and so on. Anorexia and Bulimia are serious mental illnesses and should not be taken lightly. Many girls have literally starved themselves to death. I heard of one bulimic girl (1000 ways to die) who binged so much, her stomach lining ripped and she died. So please, nobody suggest we just ignore them when we can do something to help them.

How will banning them help them? I don't think you want to help them at all, I think you've already judged them and found them wanting so you'd just like them to be out of sight. If you wanted to help them you'd see that their being here, exposed to good eating habits, might just rub off. They sure won't get any better at a pro-ana site, now will they? I don't think keeping pro-ana/mia POSTS and TOPICS is a good idea, and deleting them is one thing, but deciding to ban the PEOPLE won't "do something to help them" it will just send them somewhere they are even less likely to get better.

It's about time people who want to ban people get honest about WHY they want to ban them, because you do not want to ban these women to "help" them.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I think we should ban people who pass judgment on others. :)

Yup.
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    This is a tough one, as many are making valid points. It makes me terribly sad to see eating disorder sufferers who have no intention of trying to work through them, and even sadder when I see them encouraging each other. Unfortunately, there isn't anything that you, an internet stranger, can really do to help them. The motivation to change, to begin a healthy eating style, has to come from within. Until someone is ready to make that change, they probably won't be overly receptive to suggestions, threats, or criticism.

I don't think that they should be banned immediately; maybe a three-strike sort of rule? This site is full of healthy, inspiring people, and just maybe someone's story will spark change in someone who has an eating disorder.

I have a few friends on here battling eating disorders, and I do my very best to support them. I encourage them to rethink their choices when they make a bad decision, and I congratulate them when they take a step in the right direction. On the same token, I've also deleted a couple of friends who were not ready to make these changes and regularly made pro-disorder comments.
  • RayRay1500
    Options
    Deleting Profiles for under 1000 cal. intake is retarded...maybe you need not judge! I only get 1200 cal. a day and sometimes I eat 2-3 cups of arugula (because I love it) and its only 20-30 cal. but very filling. People please read what you post and try to treat others in a positive way :)

I agree. I sometimes do not eat all of my calories.