People who have pro-anorexia profiles

Options

Replies

• catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    This while thread from beginning to end is incredibly sad. No one chooses and eating disorder, no one discovers bulimic behaviors and becomes bulimic, ALL eating disorders (Anorexia, Compulsive Overeating, Bulimia, etc., etc.) are deep rooted psychological issues.

If we lead by example, if we (even indirectly) show her what healthy nutrition does to the mind and body, then we send a message. That message is despite what your issue is, (over OR under eating) it can be overcome.

When I came onto MFP six weeks ago, I ate terrible. Too little, too much, junk, healthy…it was chaos. In six weeks my diet has been overhauled. I am more in control of my food choices, I feel inspired by the stories, the dedication, the support and the wellness that occurs here. I read diaries, blogs and community threads.

I overcame an eating disorder in 2004, and have since gained a lot of weight. I joined MFP to try and reconnect to that eating disordered self I had left behind.

Instead, I found myself wanting what most you have; balance and health. You lead by example, and for me it has been a gift I am incredibly grateful for.

Give her that chance too.

This...ladies and gentlemen...is the winner of the night for me.. *applaud*

^^This. What a fantastic accomplishment and a fantastic attitude. You rock!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I think that pro-ana and mia people should be banned from the site. They're only here to manipulate the tools given so they can keep track of how little they're eating, how much they need to purge later and so on. Anorexia and Bulimia are serious mental illnesses and should not be taken lightly. Many girls have literally starved themselves to death. I heard of one bulimic girl (1000 ways to die) who binged so much, her stomach lining ripped and she died. So please, nobody suggest we just ignore them when we can do something to help them.

HOW is banning them from the site helping them? Have you never had an ED? it is a dark dark place full of self hatred. Banning them from a Healthy website would shove most even farther over the edge.

I agree.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I know we arent friends on here, but I never make it to 1000 calories a day. I dont have an ED, I used to but not anymore. I just find it hard to get those calories up when I'm not that hungry, I'm not going to force myself to eat just to make it to my recommended 1200 a day. I'm sure there are others on here who are similar...

You have hormonal issues thats why you arent hungry.
    This is probably due to your past ED.
    Ghrelin is what i'm referring to btw.

If you started eating a regular caloric day say 1600-1800 for women 5'2" and above who work out 3-5 times a week you would actually trigger the hormone and start eating again.
    But this may not be to your liking so enjoy the catabolism as you lose muscle, fat and possible bone density.
    And the fact that unless you are below 4'5" you arent getting enough nutrients to vital organs like the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs, thyroid etc...etc...etc...
    In essence you are slowly killing yourself.

Please dont take this as a personal attack but sometimes the facts can be eye opening to the point of action.
    So far 2 of my friends started out just like you and now they are eating 1600-1800 cals/day and building lean fantastic bodies.

So OP yes! Speak up if you see something wrong!
    I just did!

What so because I'm female it must automatically be hormonal? I am NOT killing myself thank you very much. Unless I eat KFC or **** food like that, I am not going to hit 1200 calories. I refuse to binge eat just to make up my calories. If I'm full then I'm full. If I dont make my calories then so what.
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    I don't know about that but I can say I HATE advice given to me by skinny young girls who have never been fat and are in their young 20's because I was there once to thin with a faster metabolism... I also don't like seeing people on here who know they are not fat who have no real weight to lose .... that is just me though
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Obesity related problems kill much more often and are much more widespread, but do you report people who are morbidly obese and keep eating too much? I say mind ur own business.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I know we arent friends on here, but I never make it to 1000 calories a day. I dont have an ED, I used to but not anymore. I just find it hard to get those calories up when I'm not that hungry, I'm not going to force myself to eat just to make it to my recommended 1200 a day. I'm sure there are others on here who are similar...

If you started eating a regular caloric day say 1600-1800 for women 5'2" and above who work out 3-5 times a week you would actually trigger the hormone and start eating again.
    But this may not be to your liking so enjoy the catabolism as you lose muscle, fat and possible bone density.
    And the fact that unless you are below 4'5" you arent getting enough nutrients to vital organs like the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs, thyroid etc...etc...etc...

Please dont take this as a personal attack but sometimes the facts can be eye opening to the point of action.
    So far 2 of my friends started out just like you and now they are eating 1600-1800 cals/day and building lean fantastic bodies.

I just did!

What so because I'm female it must automatically be hormonal? I am NOT killing myself thank you very much. Unless I eat KFC or **** food like that, I am not going to hit 1200 calories. I refuse to binge eat just to make up my calories. If I'm full then I'm full. If I dont make my calories then so what.

Okidoke! just trying to help! Whats your goal on MFP? Maybe I can help by running your dietary numbers?
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Wow! May be you should stay off her and her friends profile.

I am asking about a serious situation.

You are also being really judgmental.

That said, it IS really upsetting to see people advocating something so horrid. But if people can't tell the difference between healthy advice or approaches to food/exercise and a downward spiral that will lead to serious physical, mental, and emotional damage or death... Then I think it's their problem.

It's not our job to police or judge other people, however shocking or horrible their own choices may be.
  • agetlostgirl
    Options
    I have been earased by people because I dont eat around 1000 calories but im not anorexic I just dont pay any attention to eating thats why I wanted support to focus on eating right and exercising but I dont get a single bit of support on this site and get earased from people just thinking im trying to be anorexic maybe you should talk to people first before judging.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Everyone in this thread needs more excitement in their lives...
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I know I am trying to recover from anorexia and use the site to count calories and many of them want to be friends. I tell them when they are ready for recovery I will be their friends and then I tell them how the last 25 years of my life has been ruined and how I have damaged my body. That does get to some of them esp since i have almost died a couple of times. But they really have no idea what they are asking for. But it also is an illness at the same time and when I weighed my highest or my lowest at 87 lbs(5ft 10) I thought I looked the same. So they do need help because sometimes it is beyound your control, but I dont think it is right to support one another in an unhealthy way. That isnt being a friend. They might think that about themselves but to encourage someone else is a different thing. I would never tell somebody good job for not eating all day!They get the opposite and then I am usually not their friend anymore. But try to remember it truely is a disease that effects your brain and how you think. It isnt just a will power thing.If that was the case it would be so easy to get over it..and it isnt!

What a nice, honest post. I'm glad you're doing well and it's really great that you're able to be a positive support for people struggling with these issues. Stay Healthy! :flowerforyou:
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

I think we just got some...howudoin'?

:laugh:
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I just did!

Okidoke! just trying to help! Whats your goal on MFP? Maybe I can help by running your dietary numbers?

My goal is to lose weight and be healthy. Didnt mean to snap but if someone tells you that you're killing youself, then you're bound to be defensive. What do you mean by running my dietry numbers?
  • Logott
    Options
    I just joined--and I certainly did notice that there seemed to be two paths of people here--those with healthy goals and perceptions--and those with incredibly unhealthy perceptions of health and weight (see 5'7" what should I weigh post). The important thing is to remember that we are all facing demons here--so I guess let's just focus on our own and support those we know how to support in a healthy way.
  • ronninator
    ronninator Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between being anorexic and promoting ED behavior. The first one is tragic, but the second is damaging to other people. People who have worked hard to recover from an ED can relapse or be triggered by ED rhetoric. It's a real, harmful thing. There are organizations dedicated to curbing that kind of speech because it is wrong to tell people how to commit slow suicide and even to encourage that kind of destruction.

So, it's not a matter of judging people who base their fitness goals in anorexia.

That said, profiles are a private matter. If it shows up in the forums, and MFP does nothing to block it, I will gladly take my ball and go home. I don't want to contribute or participate in a site that promotes self-harm in the guise of fitness. A profile, however, is easy enough to ignore and personal enough to be considered free speech.
  • ronninator
    ronninator Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I think we just got some...howudoin'?

:laugh:

Beat me to it. Agreed.
  • Jagmamma
    Options
    I don't think judging and being harsh with a person with anorexia playing out on MFP is the right way to go. Think about being at your heaviest and imagine having all your info and failures and daily food intake available for people to see and all you get is... "you're eating way too much!" "you look so fat!" and "I can't be aquainted with you because you eat badly and are heavy." Wouldn't that just have made you worse?? It would have me.
    My sister had eating disorders for as long as I can remember so I saw a family trying every trick in the book. The deal is the same as it is with us heavy people... you just have to decide to change. No amount of ostracism or criticism is going to make that happen overnight.
    I choose to stay friends with the person I know on here with this issue in her life because I believe she needs positivity and good examples of loosing healthfully and kind encouragement in her life--just like any person would.

Just some thoughts.
  • InvictusPhoenix
    Options

I just did!

Can I jump in here? The hormones mentioned that were "messed with" during anorexia and the suppressed appetite after was not JUST because you are a woman. Hormones that are effected WHILE anorexic: In addition to bone loss because of a lack of estrogen, non sex specific high levels of stress hormones (which impair bone growth) and DHEA (a weak male hormone) ALL cause the boneloss/wasting mentioned (the idea of "killing yourself" you picked up on) the damage from this impaired growth is still effecting your body.

Hormones that are effected throughout and AFTER anorexia (recovery) and are probably causing your lack of appetite today: Peptides ghrelin, obestatin and neuropeptide Y (NPY)

Ghrelin is the big one. It stimulates growth hormone secretion and food intake. Basically, it helps cause the sensation of hunger. It assists in regulating your body's energy homeostasis (getting the nutritents you need to maintain weight). Its large precursor protein is sometimes called appetite-regulating hormone. With suppressed levels of this hormone (an imbalance that could have been caused by your eating disorder or vice versa) you won't feel hungry (even though your body still requires more energy than it's getting)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

I just did!

My goal is to lose weight and be healthy. Didnt mean to snap but if someone tells you that you're killing youself, then you're bound to be defensive. What do you mean by running my dietry numbers?

I can calculate TDEE, BMR and if you know your body fat, be able to tell you exactly how many calories to eat daily to burn only fat and maintain lean mass. Most times you will lose the same on my numbers as you would eating below BMR but with the added bonus of fighting 99% catabolism. Send me a PM titled STATS. I'll get you started. BTW if you have a look at my wall youll see this works extremely well. All of these numbers are crucial to successful weight loss/gains. Its 100% easier to have a sustainable diet once you know these numbers! Its that simple!
  • InvictusPhoenix
    Options
    It's almost comical how so many of you are so quick to pass judgement on the OP, that you continually miss the word "A D V O C A T E" (eating disorders).

There is a huge difference between a true 'disease' and just trying to be fashionable.