People who have pro-anorexia profiles

Options

Replies

• WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think that pro-ana and mia people should be banned from the site. They're only here to manipulate the tools given so they can keep track of how little they're eating, how much they need to purge later and so on. Anorexia and Bulimia are serious mental illnesses and should not be taken lightly. Many girls have literally starved themselves to death. I heard of one bulimic girl (1000 ways to die) who binged so much, her stomach lining ripped and she died. So please, nobody suggest we just ignore them when we can do something to help them.

HOW is banning them from the site helping them? Have you never had an ED? it is a dark dark place full of self hatred. Banning them from a Healthy website would shove most even farther over the edge.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I think that pro-ana and mia people should be banned from the site. They're only here to manipulate the tools given so they can keep track of how little they're eating, how much they need to purge later and so on. Anorexia and Bulimia are serious mental illnesses and should not be taken lightly. Many girls have literally starved themselves to death. I heard of one bulimic girl (1000 ways to die) who binged so much, her stomach lining ripped and she died. So please, nobody suggest we just ignore them when we can do something to help them.

Funny, you want to help them, and not ignore them.. buuuuuut you want to ban them from the site. What.... out of site (HAR HAR) out of mind? :huh:
  • Alicia7896
    Options
    Wow! May be you should stay off her and her friends profile.

I am asking about a serious situation.

That's understandable. And we are replying about a serious situation. While it may be disturbing for you in your journey, and/or you may be concerned about these girls, if they are adults, then we have no business telling them what to do in this instance. It's like if someone posted pro-anorexia stuff on FB; I would either hide their posts or delete them. If they were a good friend, I would probably be supportive and intervene.

No one responds well to being censored. It's not going to change them, it just makes you feel better...so I agree with the suggestions to just delete their profiles.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    I think we should ban people who pass judgment on others. :)
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to "report" people's profiles who are advocating anorexia on mfp?

Yes, and I do often.

Send Steven a link to their profile. Put Pro-ANA in the subject line. He's very diligent about responding.

And before anyone jumps in my *kitten* about it... there is a difference between working toward recovery and promoting it!

Amen!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to "report" people's profiles who are advocating anorexia on mfp? I had stumbled over a topic that had been locked by mfp because it was promoting anorexia. I noticed the girls name which was something about skinny, I cannot remember it now. I went on her profile and she and her friends were really advocating anorexia on their profiles. I did not see anywhere to report the profile.

worry about yourself.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options

So you think that if they are banned from here they'll be cured?
  • ThereWillBeBeautyfrompain
    Options
    most people with eating disorder dont even know they have them till they have been dragged to the docters and dignosed then trust me it takes ALONG time to believe it so leave them be pray for them and hope they get help as sone as possible
    if your really worried then encourage them to try new things and say encouraging words to them to eat healthy
    ofear a listen ear
    theres always a reason behind an ed rember that
    i could go on but im not going to as at the end of the day its what u believe
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

HOW is banning them from the site helping them? Have you never had an ED? it is a dark dark place full of self hatred. Banning them from a Healthy website would shove most even farther over the edge.

If they're promoting EDs and encouraging others in them than I agree, they don't have a place here. However, as a person with a disordered eating history I think people who are in recovery can make excellent use of this tool, I have a lot of friends who are in recovery, but those who promote EDs don't help anyone.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    To the people who are saying worry about yourself , maybe they should read the guidelines

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.

And also

2. No Hi-Jacking Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So please, nobody suggest we just ignore them when we can do something to help them.

Absolutely agree.

There is absolutely nothing any of us can do to help.
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wow! May be you should stay off her and her friends profile.

I agree with this. Why do you care what their profiles say. How does that impact you and your weightloss?

Because she's concerned about other human beings.

I recently read an article about the increase in pro-ana/ pro-mia activity online. The piece specifically mentioned MFP as a tool these folks use to spread their message and keep track of their calories. If we don't want the site's reputation to tank, and perhaps risk getting it shut down, we should all care about these profiles.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    This was really bad. Her goals were to have a sunken in face, have no boobs because they are fat, and have 0% body fat etc. Just disgusting!

are you sure it wasn't just a troll trying to get attention... how can we know for sure that the person was really promoting this. i guess we will never know so probably just telling a moderator makes the most sense. but i can see how trolls might find this funny... i agree with you about the seriousness of it i just wonder how you'd really know if they are for real or not.
  • kittyninja
    Options
    Is there a way to "report" people's profiles who are advocating anorexia on mfp?

Yes, and I do often.

Send Steven a link to their profile. Put Pro-ANA in the subject line. He's very diligent about responding.

And before anyone jumps in my *kitten* about it... there is a difference between working toward recovery and promoting it!

I'm recovered from bulimia but relapse sometimes, and find support from my friends on here. Should I be banned too?
  • Alicia7896
    Options
    This was really bad. Her goals were to have a sunken in face, have no boobs because they are fat, and have 0% body fat etc. Just disgusting!

So her goal was to be dead? That's really sad.

Did she ask you to go on her profile? Did she ask you to become anorexic with her? Did she ask you to check out her friends? If not, then it's not really your place to report it. She wasn't pushing it on you. I'm pro-eating...a lot....even junk food. Should I be banned?

HAHA, I'm pro-eating a lot as well! I made my food diary private because some of my contacts were commenting negatively on the fact that I had a cookie or one of those 90 cal Fiber One brownies, or some kind of goody with my coffee every day. I call that healthy since I wasn't depriving myself and satisfying my enormous sweet tooth, they called it "not being serious about your health journey." It's all about perception, really.
  • hewwokitty
    hewwokitty Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do agree that it is abusing the tools of MFP, but it also MIGHT influence some people to get healthy. I've also encountered people with ED's that are here to get healthy.
    I never used calorie counting with an ED, simply because I ate once every three days...so if they're actually here they probably have a chance of recovery.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from eating disorders and go on pro-anorexic sites for tips and ideas. I was hospitalized, medicated, and even almost had a feeding tube shoved up my nose (if that doesn't make you start to eat, I don't know what will), but honestly, the sites didn't make me anorexic or bulimic or any sicker than I already was. It was actually comforting to know that there were others out there like me--sick as we all were. I certainly don't think it's appropriate to have pro-eating disorder sites or topics here at MFP, but I also wouldn't worry about getting them kicked off MFP or getting their profiles deleted. They aren't going to "give" someone an eating disorder that doesn't already have one or won't already get one at some point.

Eating disorders (especially the "pro-ana/mia" community) have nothing to do with food or weight, and everything to do with control, manipulation, low self-esteem, insecurity, fear, and rebellion. It's very sad, but it's also not going to hurt anyone who isn't already hurting. Getting their profiles deleted would probably just fuel the fire for them to keep doing what they're doing.

It's just a shame a place that is for health and fitness is polluted with such sick people... but so is the workplace, the mall, the gym, school and every where else.

I'm just so grateful that I have made it to the other side.

This is the best post in this thread.

:heart: You are awesome. If this was Reddit I would gift you Reddit gold for this post. :flowerforyou: <--- But since it's MFP that's the best I can do. lol
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

WINNER!
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I know we arent friends on here, but I never make it to 1000 calories a day. I dont have an ED, I used to but not anymore. I just find it hard to get those calories up when I'm not that hungry, I'm not going to force myself to eat just to make it to my recommended 1200 a day. I'm sure there are others on here who are similar...
  • hewwokitty
    hewwokitty Posts: 69 Member
    Options

WINNER!
    :drinker: