People who have pro-anorexia profiles

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Can I jump in here? The hormones mentioned that were "messed with" during anorexia and the suppressed appetite after was not JUST because you are a woman. Hormones that are effected WHILE anorexic: In addition to bone loss because of a lack of estrogen, non sex specific high levels of stress hormones (which impair bone growth) and DHEA (a weak male hormone) ALL cause the boneloss/wasting mentioned (the idea of "killing yourself" you picked up on) the damage from this impaired growth is still effecting your body.

Hormones that are effected throughout and AFTER anorexia (recovery) and are probably causing your lack of appetite today: Peptides ghrelin, obestatin and neuropeptide Y (NPY)

Ghrelin is the big one. It stimulates growth hormone secretion and food intake. Basically, it helps cause the sensation of hunger. It assists in regulating your body's energy homeostasis (getting the nutritents you need to maintain weight). Its large precursor protein is sometimes called appetite-regulating hormone. With suppressed levels of this hormone (an imbalance that could have been caused by your eating disorder or vice versa) you won't feel hungry (even though your body still requires more energy than it's getting)

This is where I was going but I dont have the education to put it in such fantastic words!
    =D
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Wow! May be you should stay off her and her friends profile.

I agree with this. Why do you care what their profiles say. How does that impact you and your weightloss?

Agree. What is MFP going to do?? Banding them from MFP will not change the way they are eating. Why stick a nose into somebody elses business?? That's how drama starts..

If they're not my close friend, I'd m.y.o.b. (mind your own business)..just sayin'~
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    This has gotten SO nasty. This is a site for HEALTH, Ana is NOT healthy, it's DEADLY. I don't have a problem with the original poster and I think that this site is not meant to be pro ana whatsoever.
    It's my FITness pal, not Myana pal. so honestly, I do not think that OP is being judgmental. I think she's being concerned about those who want to starve to death.

No, she's not being concerned. If she was concerned, she'd see that they benefit more from exposure to positive role models than they would if they were forced to leave My FITNESS Pal for your hypothetical My ANA Pal. She, and others, are being judgmental about the "disgusting" people they don't want to see.

I have several traits commonly considered "disgusting" in our society. I know there are people on MFP, and this thread, who would consider me "disgusting" or worse, advocate I be jailed or killed for these traits, though none of them affect anyone but me in any way. Should we start isolating people we don't approve of in ghettos so we don't have to look at them? (The word ghetto here is very carefully chosen, so don't underestimate it.)

Quite frankly, there are people who are clearly not pro-ana on this site whose diets I consider unhealthy, and people giving other dietary advice I consider wrong and sometimes irresponsible. Other people on this site would disagree with me as to which these were. Should I report them, too, or are we just targeting the anorexics and bulimics? Because I think we all benefit from each other's presence, even if we don't consider the advice given to be healthy. I think I have something to offer, but I could be wrong. I know the anorexics have something to offer me, even though I don't consider it a healthy lifestyle. I can learn something from them, just as they can learn something from me. Neither of us benefits if they leave; we are both less for it.
  • ADobs
    ADobs Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    blocking, deleting, reporting them, etc., won't make a difference. They will just turn around and either delete their account or make their profile/diary private. Unfortunately, when you have an eating disorder you need professional help and there are tons of websites out there promoting eating disorders.
  • Sexynvoluptuous
    Options
    Why not encourage them and support them? better yet pray for them? Mfp can't prevent people from starting accounts who have an ED.... just try to be supportive and help if you can, or you may have to suck it up and look the other way.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I don't know about that but I can say I HATE advice given to me by skinny young girls who have never been fat and are in their young 20's because I was there once to thin with a faster metabolism... I also don't like seeing people on here who know they are not fat who have no real weight to lose .... that is just me though

This website is about fitness...not about being "skinny". You can be skinny and not be fit. The journey to getting in shape is not restricted to a specific weight range. I will GLADLY take advice from ANYONE who can help me get where I want to be...and these people should serve you as INSPIRATION rather than DISDAIN.

I believe her point was that she doesn't like advice given by people who have never had a real weight problem and are too young to understand that their metabolism may change as they age. My SIL, for instance, has always been a size 0. Her diet isn't healthy and she never exercises, she is simply blessed with her size 0 body. She complained that people gave her a hard time and suggested she was anorexic because she was so thin, though she wasn't. Over the years, she's had a lot of advice on how I could "improve" my diet and/or lose weight, despite the fact that my diet has always been far healthier than hers. So now, as she approaches menopause, her size 0 body has decided it no longer will stay size 0 and she's climbed to a size 12 in just 2 years. She's always been on the very lower edge of the normal range for BMI, and now she's crossed over to overweight. Nothing has changed as far as diet and exercise, but her metabolism has. Her advice wasn't any better 10 years ago than it is now, why would it have served as inspiration when she was thin? I should be inspired by people who, like me, have have lost weight, not people who maintain their slim or very slim bodies without effort. That, I believe, is what this poster meant.

Where she is wrong is not wanting to see these people here. I think anytime we exclude people, we lose.
  • I don't know about that but I can say I HATE advice given to me by skinny young girls who have never been fat and are in their young 20's because I was there once to thin with a faster metabolism... I also don't like seeing people on here who know they are not fat who have no real weight to lose .... that is just me though

This website is about fitness...not about being "skinny". You can be skinny and not be fit. The journey to getting in shape is not restricted to a specific weight range. I will GLADLY take advice from ANYONE who can help me get where I want to be...and these people should serve you as INSPIRATION rather than DISDAIN.

I believe her point was that she doesn't like advice given by people who have never had a real weight problem and are too young to understand that their metabolism may change as they age. My SIL, for instance, has always been a size 0. Her diet isn't healthy and she never exercises, she is simply blessed with her size 0 body. She complained that people gave her a hard time and suggested she was anorexic because she was so thin, though she wasn't. Over the years, she's had a lot of advice on how I could "improve" my diet and/or lose weight, despite the fact that my diet has always been far healthier than hers. So now, as she approaches menopause, her size 0 body has decided it no longer will stay size 0 and she's climbed to a size 12 in just 2 years. She's always been on the very lower edge of the normal range for BMI, and now she's crossed over to overweight. Nothing has changed as far as diet and exercise, but her metabolism has. Her advice wasn't any better 10 years ago than it is now, why would it have served as inspiration when she was thin? I should be inspired by people who, like me, have have lost weight, not people who maintain their slim or very slim bodies without effort. That, I believe, is what this poster meant.

Where she is wrong is not wanting to see these people here. I think anytime we exclude people, we lose.

I understood her point perfectly. I don't agree with it...and I used to be fat so I "understand" what she is saying. I used to have kids scream "fatty" at me from the school bus when I was walking to school. I also got comments like "you'd be cute if you lost weight." So, spare me.
  • FitLink
    Options
    blocking, deleting, reporting them, etc., won't make a difference. They will just turn around and either delete their account or make their profile/diary private. Unfortunately, when you have an eating disorder you need professional help and there are tons of websites out there promoting eating disorders.

But the sites promoting EDs won't make them seek help. MFP might not either, but it's a better chance than a pro-ana site, isn't it? It might help. Those other sites certainly will not.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I don't know about that but I can say I HATE advice given to me by skinny young girls who have never been fat and are in their young 20's because I was there once to thin with a faster metabolism... I also don't like seeing people on here who know they are not fat who have no real weight to lose .... that is just me though

I understood her point perfectly. I don't agree with it...and I used to be fat so I "understand" what she is saying.

Really? And you still find it inspiring that people who eat less healthy than you do are stick thin? Because I don't. I find more inspiration from the anorexics, frankly.
  • I don't know about that but I can say I HATE advice given to me by skinny young girls who have never been fat and are in their young 20's because I was there once to thin with a faster metabolism... I also don't like seeing people on here who know they are not fat who have no real weight to lose .... that is just me though

I understood her point perfectly. I don't agree with it...and I used to be fat so I "understand" what she is saying.

Really? And you still find it inspiring that people who eat less healthy than you do are stick thin? Because I don't. I find more inspiration from the anorexics, frankly.

Again, like the previous poster, you are conflating skinny with fit. You can eat unhealthily and be skinny. You cannot eat unhealthily and be fit.
  • FitLink
    Options

I understood her point perfectly. I don't agree with it...and I used to be fat so I "understand" what she is saying. I used to have kids scream "fatty" at me from the school bus when I was walking to school. I also got comments like "you'd be cute if you lost weight." So, spare me.

Ugh. The edit just makes you look self-righteous.
  • FitLink
    Options

Again, like the previous poster, you are conflating skinny with fit. You can eat unhealthily and be skinny. You cannot eat unhealthily and be fit.

No. I am not. I'm saying that she and I agree that we don't care to get health advice from people who are thin but not necessarily healthy. In fact, we are the ones saying that thin =/= healthy. We both don't care for skinny women who think their thinness implies health and feel they can advise us solely because they are thin. (We disagree in whether they have a place here at MFP.) You are the one who said these people were inspirational.

No. I am not. I'm saying that she and I agree that we don't care to get health advice from people who are thin but not necessarily healthy. In fact, we are the ones saying that thin =/= healthy. We both don't care for skinny women who think their thinness implies health and feel they can advise us solely because they are thin. (We disagree in whether they have a place here at MFP.) You are the one who said these people were inspirational.

I said people that are fit are inspirational. Thanks, though...here I am QUOTING MYSELF:

"This website is about fitness... not about being "skinny". You can be skinny and not be fit . The journey to getting in shape is not restricted to a specific weight range . I will GLADLY take advice from ANYONE who can help me get where I want to be...and these people should serve you as INSPIRATION rather than DISDAIN."

Oh, and WHERE exactly did that poster talk about being "healthy" QUOTING HER:

Nowhere.
  • FitLink
    Options

I said people that are fit are inspirational. Thanks, though...here I am QUOTING MYSELF:

"This website is about fitness... not about being "skinny". You can be skinny and not be fit . The journey to getting in shape is not restricted to a specific weight range . I will GLADLY take advice from ANYONE who can help me get where I want to be...and these people should serve you as INSPIRATION rather than DISDAIN."

Oh, and WHERE exactly did that poster talk about being "healthy" QUOTING HER:

Nowhere.

But the person you replied to was not talking about healthy people, she referred to "skinny girls who have never been fat." I share her dislike in getting weight loss advice from these people. They don't know anything about weight loss. Either you are wrong, or you posted a completely irrelevant reply, since she wan't talking about healthy people, she was specifically talking about "skinny girls who have never been fat." I DISAGREED with her about "seeing people here who know they are not fat who have no real weight to lose." I stated that I believe everyone has a place here--thin, fat, healthy, unhealthy, anorexic, bulimic, and so on ad infinitum. I also believe I have more to learn form some than others. I have little or nothing to learn from "skinny girls who have never been fat," and don't find these women "inspiring."
  • FitLink
    Options
    Hi Folks,

This is a relatively charged topic, so please try to keep your comments polite and constructive.

Our current guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ) prohibit the use of public forums, profile names, or profile bylines, to promote eating disorders as a lifestyle option.

We do not currently monitor wall posts, private messages, or profile text. If you see an individual who is clearly using our public forums to promote ED, please let me know.

If you see a post promoting ED as a solution, please feel free to click "report post."

However, posts made requesting support for recovery, etc., are not prohibited. Just posts encouraging others to use unsafe eating habits to lose weight.

The guideline in question is:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts, groups, profile names, or profile bylines. Photos intended to promote or glamorize extreme thinness are also not permitted.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff

That is why it is easy to report posts--they are public things intended for everybody to read; and hard to report profiles, because they are not public fora.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!! This discussion is about as bad as politics!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Agreed. My misses before I came along had eating problem. She has emetaphobia and fears being sick. For few years before me she was 6ish stone at 5' 5". She then got help and sorted the ED but then was 7ish stone because she began eating and ate a lot of junk but as she was on her feet all day working at a supermarket. Much heathier now tho.
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    So many times when I'm reading these message boards I think to myself, Good lord! If it's a topic that doesn't pertain to me or isnt going to help me why bother!!! I really think some people are so hungry that it's causing them to get pissed off at every little thing. Seriously if someone has an eating disorder ( I'm not encouraging it) and they are using MFP, how does that affect you and your weightlloss? It doesn't so why get all worked up about it? If you don't agree with promoting an eating disorder don't read the message board. I'm not going to read the boards that are asking how to reduce your breasts because I have just the opposite problem lol
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    So many times when I'm reading these message boards I think to myself, Good lord! If it's a topic that doesn't pertain to me or isnt going to help me why bother!!! I really think some people are so hungry that it's causing them to get pissed off at every little thing. Seriously if someone has an eating disorder ( I'm not encouraging it) and they are using MFP, how does that affect you and your weightlloss? It doesn't so why get all worked up about it? If you don't agree with promoting an eating disorder don't read the message board. I'm not going to read the boards that are asking how to reduce your breasts because I have just the opposite problem lol

Hello.... Funny post :)
    I do think that if people have had ED in the past, maybe the topics on here that are pro ED may trigger them so it can be harmful to some. I think that's what the main issue was.
  • FitLink
    Options

Hello.... Funny post :)
    I do think that if people have had ED in the past, maybe the topics on here that are pro ED may trigger them so it can be harmful to some. I think that's what the main issue was.

And for the half-dozenth time: POSTS and TOPICS are easy to report--every one has a "Report Post" button, and the OP says the topics and posts had been reported and locked by MFP. This thread is about reporting PROFILES, and, since they are not considered public space they don't have a "Report" button. She clearly knew how to report the POSTS. She wanted to report the PERSON. More people jumped on to let us all know how "disgusting" the pro-ana/mia people are, so they should be banned.