Help! Does this count as water?

Options

Replies

• jhewitt25
    Options
    Whatever you drink gets mixed in with whatever you eat. The body doesn't really separate out the water from other stuff and count only the "pure" water.

After being mixed with food in the stomach, the water/food slurry goes into the intestines, where it passes through the intestinal lining. How much passes through, and when, depends on precisely what part of the intestine you're talking about, and what substances are dissolved in it. Gatorade was specifically formulated to try to bring the water through more quickly by providing a particular balance of sugars and salts.

But a different composition will still get through, and Crystal Light is no exception. Crystal Light contains sucralose, which passes through the gut lining along with the water, in roughly the same way sugar does. The difference is that when it hits the liver it can't be broken down to form energy. But the water still passes into the bloodstream, where it does all of the great things that water does in the body (absorb waste products, hydrate cells, provide a medium for chemical reactions, carry nutrients, etc.)

All of which is a long way of saying, it doesn't matter what you dump into the water. Water's water, whether it's pure, chicken soup, coffee, or crystal light.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    water is water
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused. Why would you log SODA as water?
    read the can/bottle.
    whats the first ingredient?

And what are all the other ingredients?

things added to water to make it taste better

Just because something tastes "better" doesn't mean that it's good for you. I'm sure most of us can agree.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I assume you're joking? That will get you into trouble. For each cup of coffee you drink, you should drink about three cups of water to make up for the dehydration caused from one cup of coffee. The whole point of tracking your water intake is to make sure you're staying hydrated enough.

That is simply not true. One cup of coffee is not going to leech that much water from your body. Read the link I posted earlier.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    well I have a couple cups of coffee in the morning at work, so you just convinced me to log that as water - thanks for that. :-D

I assume you're joking? That will get you into trouble. For each cup of coffee you drink, you should drink about three cups of water to make up for the dehydration caused from one cup of coffee. The whole point of tracking your water intake is to make sure you're staying hydrated enough.
    So far today all I've had to drink is about 3 large cups of coffee, 1 can diet coke and 1 glass wine. No sign of dehyration! what kind of trouble am I in?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    well I have a couple cups of coffee in the morning at work, so you just convinced me to log that as water - thanks for that. :-D

This isn't true. For the 3rd time in this thread... http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hello. I cleaned up the thread, Please NO name calling. Now kiss and make up smiley-love026.gif
  • Contrarian
    Options

So far today all I've had to drink is about 3 large cups of coffee, 1 can diet coke and 1 glass wine. No sign of dehyration! what kind of trouble am I in?

You'll be dead by morning. :sad:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

thats actually not true - there have been studies done showing that (especially for people who drink it regularly) theres no dehydration from caffeine. the only drinks that showed any signs of dehydration were those that contained alcohol.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Whatever you drink gets mixed in with whatever you eat. The body doesn't really separate out the water from other stuff and count only the "pure" water.

After being mixed with food in the stomach, the water/food slurry goes into the intestines, where it passes through the intestinal lining. How much passes through, and when, depends on precisely what part of the intestine you're talking about, and what substances are dissolved in it. Gatorade was specifically formulated to try to bring the water through more quickly by providing a particular balance of sugars and salts.

But a different composition will still get through, and Crystal Light is no exception. Crystal Light contains sucralose, which passes through the gut lining along with the water, in roughly the same way sugar does. The difference is that when it hits the liver it can't be broken down to form energy. But the water still passes into the bloodstream, where it does all of the great things that water does in the body (absorb waste products, hydrate cells, provide a medium for chemical reactions, carry nutrients, etc.)

All of which is a long way of saying, it doesn't matter what you dump into the water. Water's water, whether it's pure, chicken soup, coffee, or crystal light.

first post .... FTW!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    Just because something tastes "better" doesn't mean that it's good for you. I'm sure most of us can agree.
    i dont believe i ever said otherwise. all i said was it still counts as water
  • sunnyday789
    Options

You'll be dead by morning. :sad:
    Now that's a waste of a long weekend!
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Well, you guys have fun with being in denial over how bad some drinks can be for you VS only pure water.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options

thats actually not true - there have been studies done showing that (especially for people who drink it regularly) theres no dehydration from caffeine. the only drinks that showed any signs of dehydration were those that contained alcohol.

Well, I must be the exception to the rule then, because I become notably and obviously dehyrated from drinking coffee (and drink it rather regularly), and it takes days of heavy water drinking to normalize my hydration levels.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Well, you guys have fun with being in denial over how bad some drinks can be for you VS only pure water.

mmmkay.
  • Contrarian
    Options

No one is in denial. Please read this: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • tsh0ck
    Options

Well, I must the the excetion to the rule then, because I become extremely and obviously dehyrated from drinking coffee (and drink it rather regularly), and it takes days of heavy water drinking to normalize my hydration levels.

I have never heard of this before.
  • sunnyday789
    Options
    No one saying that anything dissolved in water is good for you. However, what I'm saying is your body is able to use the H20 from these liquids the same way as if you drank "pure "H20 . If the body wasn't able to do these amazing things we'd all be dead by now.
    It's not denial; it's basic anatomy and physiology
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Well, I must the the exception to the rule then, because I become extremely and obviously dehyrated from drinking coffee (and drink it rather regularly), and it takes days of heavy water drinking to normalize my hydration levels.

you may want to see a doctor if your body is that thrown off from drinking coffee. or stop drinking coffee.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Well by that logic, anything that has water in it counts (jello?) ... seems a little misleading. That said, I too have read the whole water issue has been inflated by the bottled water industry so I'd not agonize over it.
    If it's not loaded with a ton of sodium or alcohol...it absolutely counts, solid or liquid form, your body WILL hydrate from it. Doesn't matter if YOU log it...your body sure will no matter what high horse you're riding on.