what book or books are you reading now and how?

Options

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    cannery row by john steinbeck (its my third time reading it.. love me some steinbeck)

on paper back
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Quick note to readers looking for a movie/book connection-

The movie "John Carter of Mars" is coming out in March, 2012. It's based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs book 'A Princess of Mars' - first of a series of Mars books. There are free copies out there for Kindle users and the ERB foundation has pdfs/ebooks available on their website.

If you like old-fashioned pulp science fiction you'll like this series.

Love them - I just got the first 5 Barsoom on my Kindle, hoping I can get hubby to read them so he'll go to the movie with me!
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Series junkie here! Love JR Ward, Diana Gabaldon, George RR Martin, Karen Marie Moning, Nalini Singh...

Currently reading "The Dream Thief" by Shana Abe, on my Nook.

Checking in with "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren daily, on my Nook.

I LOVE my Nook Color, and I was one of those people who thought I'd hate to be without a real book in my hand. I still hit up the library regularly though. I rarely buy books, even on the Nook my books are rented. I'm frugal! :)

I love and own everything by Moning - and thanks for the reminder of Shana Abe - I read the Thief series in the past - it was a good read and worth a second go round!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" by Ransom Riggs. I'm almost finished...can't put it down!

Sounds good (I looked it up) I'm putting it on my list!
  • JeepersMister
    JeepersMister Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Currently reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. Such a fun book.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    For those of you that like Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants, The Ape House was really good, too. Actually, I liked it better than WFE.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    "Sojourn," the third book of the Dark Elf Trilogy by RA Salvatore, in paperback. Because I'm a dork.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The Leopard by Jo Nesbo (a real book from the library), Doc by Mary Doria Russell (Kindle book), The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh (audio).
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    "Sojourn," the third book of the Dark Elf Trilogy by RA Salvatore, in paperback. Because I'm a dork.

Drizzt is awesome. One of my biggest disappointments was having to work the day RA Salvatore was at Comic Con. Because I'm a dork too.
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The Outlander series by Diane Gabaldon ohh Jamie..... oh and that is ink and paper.
  • mamadragon
    Options
    re-reading the first american series by william sarbane, just finished breaking dawn. Getting ready to order book two of the Game of Thrones series :)
  • living_loving_laughing2013
    Options
    I am reading the 3rd book in the Hunger Games, Mockingjay on my Kindle.

Me too!! Love this series. My Kindle Fire has to be the best gift I've ever received.
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Blackwork ( a neeldcraft Mystery) by Monica Ferris in hard back
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer in paper back ( easy to carrie in my bag)
    and for my Spiritual side I'm reading -When You Don't Know What To Pray By Linda Evans Shepherd
    and ofcourse The Bible KJV
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    The American Dream : The Bill Hicks Story
    「ノルウェイの森」 村上春樹
    Both in paperback.

Assorted comic books, on my iPod Touch :)
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Envy, by Harold Boris.
    Envy is the first work on that important ingredient of human experience since Melanie Klein's book in 1957. Yet envy has long been identified as the critical element in the negative therapeutic reaction and accounts for at least some of the difficulty in engaging the hard-to-reach. But what exactly is it that the haves have that the have-nots envy? The breast, the penis, generativity, wealth, position, power? After studying the individual qua individual and as a member of a group and community, Harold Boris reached the conclusion that there is something even more fundamental than these - that the basis of envy is life itself. Taking off from this thesis as presented in his previous books, Passions of the Mind and Sleights of Mind, Boris shows that to be living and to grow up, marry, mate and reproduce, can be almost entirely separate from feeling that one truly has the right to do so. There are those who feel authentic and meant to be and they flourish, and there are those who feel that their life and success is an imposture. The former feel alive, the latter hollowed out with dread and culpability. It is as if there is a right that some have and some don't: those who have it - or seem to - are envied by those who don't. Though therapy can help an envious person get better, it also carries the risk of such an increase in self-envy as to bring the treatment to a screeching halt, or worse. Boris shows how at least some of the panic resulting from the self-envy that can bring therapy to an impasse or a disaster can be averted by a careful restructuring of the therapeutic relationship.

Next up is the latest Tim Dorsey. :D
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Kindle - Work! Consume! Die! By Frankie Boyle (When I'm on the bus and tube when I don't walk to or from work)
    Kindle - Dracula by Bram Stoker (When I'm out and about by myself and feel like a nice read)
    Paper - The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins (When I feel like some non-fiction reading at home)
    Paper - Definitely Dead (Bed time and curled-up-on-the-sofa reading)
    Audible - Game Of Thrones (Bed time when my eyes are too tired for reading)
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm reading "the infernal devices" series by Cassandra Clare
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I'm reading Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe (I know, I know... LOL). Fun stuff.
  • 0scillatewildly
    Options
    reading the book thief by markus zusak.
    also reading a song of ice and fire series by george r.r martin. just finished a storm of swords: blood and gold.
    giving that series a rest for now so I can start on other books I've had for a while but haven't got round to reading yet.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Me too! But the paper version :)
    I am reading the 3rd book in the Hunger Games, Mockingjay on my Kindle.