what book or books are you reading now and how?

Options

Replies

• jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm on the 11th Wheel of Time book, and my husband's on the 3rd; so whenever we read together I keep saying, "Oh man! I can't believe that just... oh wait. Spoilers. Read faster!"

I want to read those!! :)
    I have just started reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde.
    It's a paperback copy, I don't know that I can settle for eBooks... ):

My husband recently read Dorian Gray. He loved Wilde's writing style; I guess it's very snarky? Reading it on his Kindle seems not to have cheapened the experience, even though the book was free :wink:
  • jenbusick
    Options
    Tough Without A Gun: The Life and Extraordinary Afterlife of Humphrey Bogart, hardcover.
    The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the Periodic Table, on my Kindle.

I am enjoying them both.

Someone else mentioned Sherlock Holmes. I have that complete collection on my Kindle, too, and have read the first three novels. I'm starting on the first anthology. I love the Kindle for this kind of thing.

I put the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy on my daughter's kindle for her. That whole massive tome, and she has it with her wherever she goes in a slim little device.
  • M12W
    M12W Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i LOVE Cassandra Clare Books, ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just now got Clockwork Prince. Have read all the City of... books. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!!!!!!! <3
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I'm reading The Scottish Prisoner and Made To Crave
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am reading the 3rd book in the Hunger Games, Mockingjay on my Kindle.

Freakin' loved those books! Can't wait for the movie, although the book is always better!

Right now I'm reading Hilarity Ensues by Tucker Max on my Kindle Touch. :P I loveee my Kindle!
  • xo_morgan
    Options

my mom is on the first and she cant put it down, so as soon as shes done with it..thats what i will be reading!
  • pghgirl777
    Options
    I'm reading Island of Lost Girls by Jennifer McMahon on my nook.
  • Jdesetti
    Options
    Tiger's Wife in paperback

just finished Dead End in Norvelt- the Newbery winner
  • snowpony
    snowpony Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am reading War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
  • jenbusick
    Options
    The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb...depressing and long. I'm almost done, thank goodness.

All of Wally Lamb's books are really depressing.....still figuring out if I like him or not

I should recommend Lamb to my husband. He loves a depressing book. If you want really depressing, you could try The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Spouse loved that one until the end, which he said was artificially happy. Ruined the book for him :huh:

Feather Crowns by Bobbi Ann Mason is pretty depressing, too.
  • carramel0705
    carramel0705 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    just finished the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo , now reading The Girl Who Played With Fire
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Currently reading Zombie Fallout (First book) by Mark Tufo. I like such books, and this is laugh out load funny in some parts! Reading on my Kindle Keyboardless :)
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to read In the Mind's Eye by Oliver Sacks, but school and exams got in the way so I've been neglecting it :(

Oh, yes. Reading this in hardcover ;)

Other than that, I've been reading the enthraling texts of Essential Cell Biology, Abnormal Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, and The Practice of Statistics in the Life Sciences. Exciting, no? Rsrs
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Read all three of the Hunger Games and LOVED them.

I am a huge "Fitzwilliam Darcy" fan and have read "Pride and Prejudice" a million times. Currently I am reading a continuation story written by another author called "Pride and Prejudice continues...Mr and Mrs Fitzwilliam Darcy - the two shall become one". It is set just after Elizabeth and Darcy ar married. I have another one that takes place after this one, can't remember the title and my husband just bought me "A Death at Pemberly" for Valentine's day!!

All in the traditional "BOOK" format =) Love to hold a book!
  • snakehead
    Options
    Confessions of a D-List SUpervillain by Jim Bernheimer, Kindle for the iPad. Great fun for only $2.99.
    Doomsday Exam by Nick Pollotta, also on Kindle for the iPad.
  • jenbusick
    Options

I'm on the third book as well! I'm having a hard time getting into this one, hopefully it picks up soon. The first 2 were amazing! :)
    I would have never thought I would love my Kindle... I'm one of those people that loves to display my books and I love the smell, etc... However, I'm a huge fan now! I still buy the hard copies at 1/2 price books if I find them though, LOL! ;)

i am also having a hard time with the 3rd book, but i'll power through it.

My husband wanted a Kindle for Christmas, 2010, so I got him one. In March, I was getting ready to go away for 3 weeks and he said, "You need a Kindle." I said, "I don't, really. I'm good." He said, "No, trust me. You want one of these, you just don't know it yet." He literally made me go out to Staples and buy a Kindle for my trip.

He was right. I lurrrrrve my Kindle. I never lack for something to read that suits my mood; I can carry a hundred books around with me. I can buy a new book in thirty seconds. I read so much more now! It is just so blamed convenient. I read authors I've never read before. My husband and I often run into a situation where only one of us can read a book at a time in hardcover/pb. We picked up a pb copy of Captain Blood once, pre-Kindles, and he started it first. He said, "You MUST read this book, it's WONDERFUL, you'll love it!" but I had to wait until he finished it, at which point I was reading something else and it took me months to get to (He was right: great book!). With the Kindles, if he says (as he said recently) "You absolutely MUST read The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett, it is TERRIFIC!" I can start right away; I don't have to wait for him to finish it and hand it off to me (The Thin Man is a MARVELOUS read, btw).

I carry it to church with me. I have two different Bibles on it; I can compare translations right in class. Or I can draw from other sources. When something we were studying made me think of something I was reading in a biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer (another excellent book, this one by Eric Metaxas) I switched books, searched the quote I wanted, and read it aloud to the class. V. handy.

So, I went from "Seriously? Books are good, I am good with paper books" to a total Kindle convert, and it is all my husband's fault. Gotta love the guy :blushing:
  • ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    "Metaphysics" by Conny Mendez and it's very interesting :)
  • anta1
    anta1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The Brahms Deception ... borrow from the library.... :-) Just finished Robin Hobb's newes Rain Wilds book yesterday...

Next up is Sophie Kinsella's I've Got Your Number.

All on my Kindle!

I just downloaded Sophie Kinsella on my iPad last night. It's next in line, I have to finish She's Gone Country first. It's kinda slow....
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The Poet by Michael Connelly. Catching up on all his older stuff.

I'm on The Scarecrow at the moment. Really enjoy his stuff.
    Looking forward to reading The 5 Sisters to my class very soon, always goes well.
    My son has agreed with all those who posted positive on the Hunger Games, so I think that set might be next.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami - the 2.8# hardcover edition (cover by Chipp Kidd!)

and I just picked up Recipes for Health at the library. It's a collection of NYTimes recipes by Martha Rose Shulman