Best alternative to bacon?

Options
So I want to try a turkey bacon this weekend or something that will make me feel somewhat like I'm having bacon and eggs... what is your favorite kind of turkey bacon or near-bacon (vegetarian)?

Replies

• AmandaBroun
    Options
    I would just have the real bacon and enjoy it.

According to MFP:

Oscar Mayer Turkey bacon, 1 slice = 35 calories
    Oscar Mayer Center Cut bacon, 1 slice = 25 calories
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Why?
    Bacon isnt bad for you!
  • Kathleen_Presnell
    Kathleen_Presnell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hormel Turkey bacon has worked for me. I'm a baconholic! My first few weeks had it all the time. Two slices 40 calories and I like it! Not fatty and I can do it in the microwave oven quick, just be careful don't want to burn it! I know I have and had to toss it away. My husband will eat it too. Sometimes I break it up in salads, or breakfast or in a sandwich. It's good. I just remind myself this is a good alternative and in a weird way - I don't miss the fatty stuff anymore! Remember that coming from a baconholic!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I tried the turkey bacon, to me it doesn't really have a taste. Not bad but not good either. I don't plan on buying it again
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon isn't really much different than pork bacon. If you like the taste of turkey bacon, go for it. Otherwise, pork bacon in moderation is just fine.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    canadian bacon
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I've tried turkey bacon, I'm not a fan. I will say though, give it a try, it's just not for me.

I've done ground turkey and turkey sausage with no issues, but evidently I'm biased when it comes to bacon. I'll have the real deal when I'm ready for it, otherwise I don't have it at all.
  • solodancer
    solodancer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bacon is ok as long as u take all the fat off and either cook it in the microwave or grill it rather than frying it its fine, its when you start addin in oil to cook it that it gets bad x
  • AngelsDream4Peace
    AngelsDream4Peace Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have been checking out bacon lately too! What I have found is the turkey bacon tastes alright, but actually has more calories than real bacon, if I can have real bacon and fewer calories I am gonna do it! Enjoy your bacon, the real stuff! Can't cut out everything!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have the aldi's brand of turkey bacon and I love it!
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, I used to buy into that whole "eat turkey bacon because it's healthier" smack but when you compare labels, the cals, fat and sodium... all about the same and depending on the brand turkey sometimes has more. xD How that makes since I don't know, but just eat the bacon! ;D It's yummy and 2 slices aren't that bad at all.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is lame...
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Eat real bacon!

Sometimes I go to the butcher and ask him to slice some pig belly so I know there is nothing else in it but real bacon is the way to go
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You have to really look at the back of the packages for the nutrition information. I eat turkey bacon because my Husband and I like it better than regular bacon but if you get a good cut of lean regular bacon it can actually be better all around nutritional wise than the cheap package of turkey bacon.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is nasty... just have real bacon and add a couple of minutes to your workout!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I honestly prefer the taste and texture of turkey bacon better than regular bacon. I've tried maple leaf & president's choice. They have both tasted pretty much the same.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I would stick with regular bacon. It's not that high in calories if you only have the recommended serving and turkey bacon uses a lot of extra sodium to help it cook and taste correctly.
  • mjsamee
    mjsamee Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon is just plain nasty and gritty! I eat regular bacon and add it to my food diary...bacon is yummo! Nothing is off limits as long as you track it and dont go over and exercise...its a way of life! I Love it!! :heart:
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I practically have to burn the turkey bacon to get it crispy. I say go with the real thing, just don't have 5 slices :flowerforyou: