Best alternative to bacon?

Options

Replies

• etajr
    etajr Posts: 49
    Options
    I agree, plus real bacon has stearic and oleic fatty acids in it which are good for you.
  • jbourbonnais
    Options
    Jennie-o Turkey bacon = DISGUSTING! Tried it a couple weeks ago...I would just go with regular bacon nd limit your portion!
  • aallison0507
    Options
    Good bacon. Small family farms. Tasty.

No factory farmed bacon allowed in my house.

http://www.applegatefarms.com/

FYI - As I come from the farming community I have seen many of those local farmers feed their stock. Do you know where the day old bread, outdated tweenkies, cupcakes, donuts go after they are removed from store shelves ? You got it ! Some farmers get it because its free and feed that to the stock !! Thank heaven my dad never was one of these guys - it was free range and corn meal all the way. Which as a kid helped win me first place with my pig in the 4H competition I entered.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would just have the real bacon and enjoy it.

According to MFP:

Oscar Mayer Turkey bacon, 1 slice = 35 calories
    Oscar Mayer Center Cut bacon, 1 slice = 25 calories
    Completely my theory too. If I want the real stuff I am going to have it. A diet, weight loss, isn't about depriving yourself of what you want, it's about limiting and having A SERVING! I say REAL BACON!
  • BlueSkies_12
    BlueSkies_12 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Butterball Turkey Bacon is the only one i have found that i like.
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    the best alternative to bacon... is bacon :laugh: ((of course, i eat low sodium bacon... but it's still bacon))
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Alternative? I eat the real thing, and plan around it for sodium and fat intake on the day. I'm having "breakfast for dinner" tonight as a matter of fact! :)
  • Effervescent17
    Effervescent17 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I get the 40% less fat bacon it's 3 pcs for 60 calories instead of 2 pcs for 80
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Canadian Bacon and center cut bacon. Turkey bacon is ok, but the texture is a little off putting for me.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    if you are wanting bacon... I would say have the real thing - moderation is the key!!!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Turkey Bacon is pretty good
  • XOchocolate
    XOchocolate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My all time fav is President's chioce blue menu turkey bacon 30 cals per slice. Yummy!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    i like oscar meyer turkey bacon

Factory farmed. Filled with chemicals.
  • Onesnap
    Options

FYI - As I come from the farming community I have seen many of those local farmers feed their stock. Do you know where the day old bread, outdated tweenkies, cupcakes, donuts go after they are removed from store shelves ? You got it ! Some farmers get it because its free and feed that to the stock !! Thank heaven my dad never was one of these guys - it was free range and corn meal all the way. Which as a kid helped win me first place with my pig in the 4H competition I entered.

I hear ya. I work at a farm.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with real bacon? Get center cut, and bake it on a rack instead of frying it. Get a cookie sheet, line with foil, and then place a rack on the sheet. Spray the rack liberally with Pam, and then place the bacon on it. Bake it at about 425 for 20 mins or so. YUMMO and less greasy!
  • fabulousby45
    Options
    y'all made me want BACON!!! There is no substitute!!!!!!!!! I LOVE MY BACON!!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    What's wrong with real bacon? Get center cut, and bake it on a rack instead of frying it. Get a cookie sheet, line with foil, and then place a rack on the sheet. Spray the rack liberally with Pam, and then place the bacon on it. Bake it at about 425 for 20 mins or so. YUMMO and less greasy!

That's right (listen to the person that reached their goals, congrats, btw!)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I was in love with Butterball turkey bacon until I realized it has mechanically separated meat, which is just disgusting. I haven't found one that doesn't have it.

(I agree. If you eat pork, go with real bacon and avoid the gross stuff.)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Best brands I have found are:
    Applegate Farms
    Wellshire Farms
    and Garrett County

They have the best macros and no/minimal additives. Compare with all the others; you'll see.

For 2 slices, it's about 80 cal, 12 protein, 3 fat.
  • schulermomof3boys
    Options
    i dont think bacon is that horrible for you, but i would try baking it instead of frying... there is no difference in taste, but a little bit healthier, and less messy...