Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Best alternative to bacon?

Replies

• MsKekeSoFocused
    MsKekeSoFocused Posts: 383 Member
    If im going to eat bacon, its going to be the real deal..I get Hormel Maple Bacon...I don't do the Turkey Bacon, because its salty to me and when you look at the sodium it has more than regular bacon...But if you want to go vegeterian of breakfast meat..Morning Star Sausage patties are good...
  • Bexx435
    Bexx435 Posts: 83 Member
    I can't eat pork products, and I personally don't think turkey bacon is good. That being said, I really like the Morningstar fake bacon. It crisps up like bacon and tastes pretty good!
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    best alternative is not eating bacon lol, lots of lean proteins out there:)

You, sir, are un-American.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I make homemade turkey sausage. It's delicious and takes just a few minutes to make!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE TO BACON!

This ends today's PSA. Thank you and have a lovely day.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Eat the REAL bacon<<<<<<there is no substitute!!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    bacon is ok as long as u take all the fat off and either cook it in the microwave or grill it rather than frying it its fine, its when you start addin in oil to cook it that it gets bad x

You cook your bacon in oil? I have never, ever in my 31 years of life had bacon cooked in anything other than its own grease that melted off as it sat and cooked in the pan.

I, too, will just eat regular old bacon in moderation. There is a local butcher around here that makes and sells it straight off the pig with no curing so it's lower in sodium and has no MSGs. I think there's also a brand at the grocery store that is uncured, so you get less sodium and no MSGs.

My favorite way to cook it is on a stone in the oven. 350 degrees for 30 minutes on the stone, or if you have just a regular metal cookie sheet 450 degrees for 30 minutes. It's so much better tasting than the one from the frying pan, less fuss, and no grease splashes everywhere!
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    I would just have the real bacon and enjoy it.

According to MFP:

Oscar Mayer Turkey bacon, 1 slice = 35 calories
    Oscar Mayer Center Cut bacon, 1 slice = 25 calories

I agree. I wanted to have bacon wrapped asparagus last week and went to the store with intentions of buying turkey bacon, but I compared it to regular bacon. The two I compared.....

2 Slices Bacon - 70 cals/6 grams fat
    1 Slice Turkey Bacon - 35 cals/3 grams fat

Regular bacon it was! Just remember to have it in moderation and soak up the grease! :)
  • I practically have to burn the turkey bacon to get it crispy. I say go with the real thing, just don't have 5 slices :flowerforyou:

THIS!
  • tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    I eat bacon every Sunday and it has had no negative effect on my weight loss. I have 3 or 4 slices. With scrambled eggs. I no longer have a biscuit, but don't mess with my bacon! I don't think the fake stuff is any better for you anyways. Oh, and like someone else posted. Microwave it on one of those slotted trays made for it and then you can pour off the grease and your bacon won't be swimming in it! I LOVE BACON. THE END. :laugh:
  • CreepyOne
    CreepyOne Posts: 221 Member
  • becca3211
    becca3211 Posts: 98 Member
    if you dont mind eating leather, turkey bacon is ok. eat real bacon. once in awhile isn't bad for you.
  • There is nothing.
    Bacon is king.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    I enjoy regular old bacon in moderation.

The oscar mayer ready-serve bacon bits are only 25 calories per Tbs serving, and i love adding them to salads, eggs, etc.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Just have the real bacon. Make sure it's not factory farmed. Log it. Move on.

Turkey bacon is actually horrible for you. Filled with dyes and chemicals. Turkey does not have the same tender underbelly as a pig so to make 'bacon' that is not really bacon is just wrong.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    I do not comprehend the question... bacon rocks.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    I freaking love turkey bacon. I mean really, it's ridiculous, I could eat it every day.

I'm also a big fan of eating venison sausage in the morning. I realize it's not always easy to get your hands on, but since I live in Texas and everyone's got at least one hunter in the family, we often have a freezer full of deer meat in various forms. It's SUPER lean and very flavorful :)
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Life without bacon? Not for me! But - I probably have some every 6 weeks or so....it's not to be had on a regular basis and if you do indulge - three slice maximum IMHO. Some things just don't have a substitute - bacon is one of 'em!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    There is nothing.
    Bacon is king.

I think I love you.
  • I don't really like turkey bacon too much. But I am not sure the brand, but Kroger sells this really good chicken bacon. I love it!