Best alternative to bacon?

Options

Replies

• zeikiya989
    Options
    I don't really like turkey bacon too much. But I am not sure the brand, but Kroger sells this really good chicken bacon. I love it!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    You can't have an alternative to bacon. I'm reporting this thread for offensiveness.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Applegate Farms - Uncured Turkey Bacon - Hardwood Smoked (in the MFP database as I typed it)

http://www.applegatefarms.com/products/natural_turkey_bacon.aspx (nutritional info)

Best turkey bacon ever! Even my husband likes it & that is saying a lot! This is from the man that said if he can't eat real bacon he would rather not eat any at all. Then he tried Applegate Farms turkey bacon. :bigsmile:

I buy it at our local health food store. Good luck! :heart:
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    There are none.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I freaking love turkey bacon. I mean really, it's ridiculous, I could eat it every day.

I'm also a big fan of eating venison sausage in the morning. I realize it's not always easy to get your hands on, but since I live in Texas and everyone's got at least one hunter in the family, we often have a freezer full of deer meat in various forms. It's SUPER lean and very flavorful :)

Read the ingredients on turkey bacon and do your research. It's all chemicals. Do yourself a favor and stick to pig bacon and keep on eating that deer bacon.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    when I want bacon, I eat Oscar Meyer Fully cooked bacon - not sitting in a bunch of grease frying - and 4 slices is 'only' 70 calories. That's plenty for my BLT with lots of lettuce and tomato- YUMMMMMYYYY!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Just have the real bacon. Make sure it's not factory farmed. Log it. Move on.

Turkey bacon is actually horrible for you. Filled with dyes and chemicals. Turkey does not have the same tender underbelly as a pig so to make 'bacon' that is not really bacon is just wrong.

There is this one brand of turkey bacon they sell at some of the specialty stores like Whole Foods that isn't full of chemicals (it's all natural and organic), I just can't remember the name. I just know it when I see it, because that's the kind I buy. It has quite a bacon-y taste too!

Edited because I remembered the name: Applegate farms Turkey bacon. Ingredients: Turkey, water, sea salt, celery powder, organic evaporated cane syrup, onion powder. Gluten, casein, and dairy free. Costs a bit more but it's delicious.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE TO BACON!!!!! RAWR!!!!!!
  • katiejneely
    Options
    There IS no alternative.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Eat a small portion of real bacon and limit yourself to half as often as you used to eat it, or something like that.
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with bacon at all, ever! Dont be afraid of fats too.
  • aallison0507
    Options
    I thought I was going to hate turkey bacon but we tried Butterball turkey bacon and we loved it. I find if I put a paper towel on a plate add the slices and cover with another towel. We micro for 3 min. so its crispy. If you don't crisp its not nearly as good but if you do I think its super yummy. Had bacon, lettuce & tomato wrap for supper just last night. :flowerforyou:

13842054.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    You can't have an alternative to bacon. I'm reporting this thread for offensiveness.

Hahahaha!!! Right?!?!?!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    If you've ever been to a Farm to Table restaurant they may serve all parts of the pig.

Let me just tell you that pork belly and cheek and other parts are tasty when served correctly and your waiter tells you all about the pig farmer. Heaven.
  • LeslieAnn72
    LeslieAnn72 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love turkey bacon. Butterball is good. I make mine in the microwave and it crisps up just fine. Vegetarian - I eat Morningstar Farms Breakfast strips. I grew up eating these and they are a bit of an acquired taste. I also make them in the microwave.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    My favorite kind of bacon is the real bacon...lol No alternative really compares.
    I'd rather have the few extra calories and fat...lol I'll just watch what I eat for the rest of the day after I indulge in some bacon for breakfast or what have you...some days it is jsut worth it! :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I thought I was going to hate turkey bacon but we tried Butterball turkey bacon and we loved it. I find if I put a paper towel on a plate add the slices and cover with another towel. We micro for 3 min. so its crispy. If you don't crisp its not nearly as good but if you do I think its super yummy. Had bacon, lettuce & tomato wrap for supper just last night. :flowerforyou:

Factory farmed Butterball = a complete joke.
  • ckimho
    Options
    I would just have the real bacon and enjoy it.

According to MFP:

Oscar Mayer Turkey bacon, 1 slice = 35 calories
    Oscar Mayer Center Cut bacon, 1 slice = 25 calories

This. I bought the turkey bacon and tried it. It's okay, but it's just not the same. For such a small difference in calories and fat, I prefer the real thing.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Good bacon. Small family farms. Tasty.

No factory farmed bacon allowed in my house.

http://www.applegatefarms.com/
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    bacon is ok as long as u take all the fat off and either cook it in the microwave or grill it rather than frying it its fine, its when you start addin in oil to cook it that it gets bad x

You cook your bacon in oil? I have never, ever in my 31 years of life had bacon cooked in anything other than its own grease that melted off as it sat and cooked in the pan.

I, too, will just eat regular old bacon in moderation. There is a local butcher around here that makes and sells it straight off the pig with no curing so it's lower in sodium and has no MSGs. I think there's also a brand at the grocery store that is uncured, so you get less sodium and no MSGs.

My favorite way to cook it is on a stone in the oven. 350 degrees for 30 minutes on the stone, or if you have just a regular metal cookie sheet 450 degrees for 30 minutes. It's so much better tasting than the one from the frying pan, less fuss, and no grease splashes everywhere!

Agree, I've never heard of adding oil to the pan to cook bacon! I