Best alternative to bacon?

Options

Replies

• GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Bacon - hickory smoked - thick sliced - fried - yummmmmmmm.

Turkey Bacon is processed from what part of the turkey? It is a man-made, highly processed concoction. I have tried it and it tasted OK, but there is really no difference in calories between that and real bacon. For me, the less processing, the better.

Bacon gets my vote.
  • aallison0507
    Options
    I thought I was going to hate turkey bacon but we tried Butterball turkey bacon and we loved it. I find if I put a paper towel on a plate add the slices and cover with another towel. We micro for 3 min. so its crispy. If you don't crisp its not nearly as good but if you do I think its super yummy. Had bacon, lettuce & tomato wrap for supper just last night. flowerforyou

Factory farmed Butterball = a complete joke.

I grew up on a pig farm. Really, its not like I don't know what growing your own is all about.
  • Suegeee
    Suegeee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    EAT THE REAL STUFF! :bigsmile: Trim off the fat, dry off the fat, and ENJOY! There is no substitute. Some things you CAN substitute, but not bacon! Turkey bacon is NOT the same. The reason real bacon tastes so good and becomes crunchy is the fat. So, just allow for it. If I could somehow limit myself to cooking just 2 strips at a time, I might do it.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good bacon. Small family farms. Tasty.

No factory farmed bacon allowed in my house.

http://www.applegatefarms.com/

They make turkey bacon too, that's the brand that I get.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would just have the real bacon and enjoy it.

According to MFP:

Oscar Mayer Turkey bacon, 1 slice = 35 calories
    Oscar Mayer Center Cut bacon, 1 slice = 25 calories

I could not live without bacon!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE TO BACON!!!!! RAWR!!!!!!
    :laugh: :heart:
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I would just have the real bacon and enjoy it.

According to MFP:

Oscar Mayer Turkey bacon, 1 slice = 35 calories
    Oscar Mayer Center Cut bacon, 1 slice = 25 calories
    ^^^ I second this!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    There is really no good alternative to bacon - eat the real stuff just look for the "uncured" version.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Bacon tastes better from a pig, but in our house, we have a kid who only eats poultry and fish, so we use the turkey bacon when she is at our home. We get the butterball turkey bacon. It seems to have a bit more flavor that oscar mayer to me.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all responses but I LOVE Hormel Black Label Bacon that is Pre-cooked. 4 yes FOUR 1, 2, 3, 4 slices are only 70 calories. I buy a big pack at Sam's Club.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Morning star "bacon" or tempeh "bacon" healthier & not made of animals!
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    Just spend a little extra $ and get the Center Cut Bacon. It's great and low in calories! At 25 per slice you can have two or four and an egg!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    EAT REGULAR BACON.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The caloric difference between turkey bacon and regular bacon isn't enough to make me want to go for the turkey! Regular bacon tastes so much better (in my opinion) for only a few extra calories. I usually buy the low sodium variety of regular bacon. Yum (I'm getting hungry now....lol)
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I say that the best alternative to bacon is *more* bacon! Mmmm, gots some in the fridge I think I'll go eat up right now!
  • strawberry626
    strawberry626 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon im my opinion taste like you are eating cardboard. not a fan of turkey bacon. now teh turkey breakfast sausage is good...but bacon? no bueno
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I can't do bacon substitute, nothing can replace it. I get the oscar meyer fully-cooked bacon and it's only 40 cals for two slices. It says it's "thick cut" but it is really thin and lean-like the bacon they put on your sub at subway.
    Turkey bacon is like bologna, it's gross.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Turkey Bacon is just not the same but I hear it is a good alternative
  • AprilLBradley
    AprilLBradley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i like oscar meyer turkey bacon
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    to me, turkey bacon looks like a flat hot dog. the fact that one side had a scallop cut like cutting paper with patterned scissors kinda creeped me out. i just bought it, for the first time, last week. i will not be buying it again.

I will never stop eating REAL bacon. :love: