Best 90's bands

Options

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Kittie- first girl band I ever saw with a screamer lol...Korn, MSI,Gorrilaz ,Limp, :drinker:
  • Adelphia
    Adelphia Posts: 176
    Options
    No love for A.F.I? Here, let me change that.
  • SeanIsMyHomeboy
    SeanIsMyHomeboy Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    At The Drive-In
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Nirvana=soo overrated

In your opinion. They were the break through band that revolutionized music for the decade.
    They were ONE of a number r of breakthrough bands. They werent even one of the original grunge bands. Had cobain not committed suicide, he would have never reached the godlike status he's given. He was a mediocre guitarist and singer at best. His song writing was unique, but it was unique for the time period. Grunge changed the music culture in the 90's. They alone are hardly responsible for the grunge movement.

I'm not agruing with any of what you just said. If fact, I agree with most of it; however, Nirvana WAS credited as THE BAND to bring grunge/alternative mainstream. It's fact. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_(band)

So the over rated statement is a bit harsh.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying they're horrible, even though I'm not a fan. My biggest beef is that somehow, Kurt Cobain gets all this credit for being gods gift to music. He was only a part of a movement, not the movement.

Pearl Jam released Ten a month earlier than Nirvana released Nevermind. While it took a little bit longer for Ten to gain steam, that release clearly played just as big a role in the success of the grunge movement.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    did anyone name Vanilla Ice??!?!?! he was awesome!!!
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    or Marky Mark and funky bunch!!??
  • dcsump2
    Options
    Nirvana=soo overrated

In your opinion. They were the break through band that revolutionized music for the decade.
    They were ONE of a number r of breakthrough bands. They werent even one of the original grunge bands. Had cobain not committed suicide, he would have never reached the godlike status he's given. He was a mediocre guitarist and singer at best. His song writing was unique, but it was unique for the time period. Grunge changed the music culture in the 90's. They alone are hardly responsible for the grunge movement.

I'm not agruing with any of what you just said. If fact, I agree with most of it; however, Nirvana WAS credited as THE BAND to bring grunge/alternative mainstream. It's fact. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_(band)

So the over rated statement is a bit harsh.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying they're horrible, even though I'm not a fan. My biggest beef is that somehow, Kurt Cobain gets all this credit for being gods gift to music. He was only a part of a movement, not the movement.

Pearl Jam released Ten a month earlier than Nirvana released Nevermind. While it took a little bit longer for Ten to gain steam, that release clearly played just as big a role in the success of the grunge movement.

Very good point!

I often wonder myself where that band would be today had he not killed himself. IMO, Dave Grohl still leaves and the rest of the band fades into the 90's. Guess we'll never know.
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the responses but I'd say Pearl Jam (I had a huge crush on Eddie Vedder), Mazzy Star and Bush (I also had a huge crush on Gavin Rossdale).
  • dcsump2
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Ten was Pearl Jam's first album, but didn't Nirvana release Bleach (although not popular at the time) out years before both Ten and Nevermind? Too many years and beers ago for me to recall if that's right or not. :laugh:
  • CanDurkin
    Options
    How did I know that this post would turn into a Nirvana debate? LOL!
    Collective Soul.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Some of these started in the 80s (and maybe a couple in the 70s, like The Residents), but I think some of their finest work was in the 90s and these were some of my favorite bands in high school (92-96... hated the bands to come in the later 90s, such as all of that nu-metal crap): They Might Be Giants, Ween, The Residents, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr., Meat Puppets, Melvins, *kitten* Surfers, L7, Bikini Kill, Tool, Primus, Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, Concrete Blonde, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Jesus Lizard, The Dead Milkmen, The Breeders, Beck, Magnetic Fields, Yo La Tengo, Stereolab, Pizzicato 5, Cibo Matto, Frente!, The Cranberries, The Pixies, Frank Black/Black Francis, Pulp, Blur, Elastica

Edit: reading over some of the other posts, I left out a lot of others I enjoyed. Overall, I still prefer the stuff I listened to in high school to most of the crap out today (I'm sure my parents said the same thing). There isn't much to have come out in the past 20 years that I'm too crazy about.
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Anyone mention Silverchair?

Silverchair is the ****!
  • VaiRhoads
    Options
    I'm going to throw a band out there that probably 95% haven't even heard of... my favorite band of all time... Dream Theater.

I have definitely heard of them, and I'm sure they are from the 80's!!

They formed in the 80's and they did release their first album in 1989. But I consider their 'real' first album to be "Images and Words". That's when they formed as a band (with Labrie on vocals). So that's why I consider them a 90's band. :)
  • tina9988
    tina9988 Posts: 369
    Options
    Bush and Hole.......is there a pattern here?
  • dcsump2
    Options
    Bush and Hole.......is there a pattern here?

If so, stay away from The Flaming Lips. Sorry....couldn't help myself.
  • gnrduff1
    gnrduff1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    AIC and STP. Kurt can't sing, Soundgarden bore me, Smashing Pumpkins are too sad. And post-grunge is terrible all around. I love my metal though, so that explains my opinion.
  • gnrduff1
    gnrduff1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw a band out there that probably 95% haven't even heard of... my favorite band of all time... Dream Theater.

I have definitely heard of them, and I'm sure they are from the 80's!!

They formed in the 80's and they did release their first album in 1989. But I consider their 'real' first album to be "Images and Words". That's when they formed as a band (with Labrie on vocals). So that's why I consider them a 90's band. :)

Dream Theater FTW \m/

Also, Primal Fear is good. Pantera (most people consider them 90's even though they stretch into the 80's and 00's)
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    AQUA!!!!!

wait. are these the people that made that Barbie song? because that made me want to hurt people every time it was on.

Yes. They're different now though. Check the YouTube links I gave. I'm seeing them in a couple of weeks, can't frikken wait!! Those guys helped me get through a LOT of ****.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry. i was just trying to be funny. please don't eat my soul.

Almost spit out my drink! :laugh:
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    LIVE, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Hootie and the Blowfish just to name a few. oh..and No Doubt!