What are you doing with your tax return?

Options

Replies

• krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get an elliptical but the money set aside for that ended up going to some major dental work. So maybe that'll happen next year. Some just helped us purchase a new crib for the baby's room, a new desk for the office, an awesome birthday party for my son who just turned 10 and the rest is being put away for use as a security blanket while my wife is on maternity leave this summer. If we don't end up needing all that's put away for maternity then maybe I'll get that elliptical a little sooner :)
  • traciwe
    Options
    getting my wisdom teeth out and paying of a credit card...what fun! lo
  • luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My neighbors, who have 4 children, got back almost 12,000 dollars this year! TWELVE GRAND! So we pay for their food stamps every month, their medicaid, and plus they get a BONUS 12 grand a year just for having that many kids and working minimum wage jobs. Makes no sense.

Well, at least I know where some of MY tax dollars went!!!!! LOL!
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Waiting... We filed for the adoption tax credit, so ours is expected to take 10-12 weeks... grrrr...
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    put in my daughter's saving account
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My neighbors, who have 4 children, got back almost 12,000 dollars this year! TWELVE GRAND! So we pay for their food stamps every month, their medicaid, and plus they get a BONUS 12 grand a year just for having that many kids and working minimum wage jobs. Makes no sense.

I did get a small refund due to pre planning. It went to savings. With 2 boys, never know who is going to break an arm next.

...? and? If they work mimimum wage and have 4 children, they probably could really use that 12k, even if they receive food stamps. Not everyone is raping the system.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Putting it toward a trip home... DH hasn't seen his family since we were posted to Alberta in Sept 2009, and our kids and I haven't since we had a few weeks to visit in June 2010.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 809 Member
    Options

I did get a small refund due to pre planning. It went to savings. With 2 boys, never know who is going to break an arm next.

...? and? If they work mimimum wage and have 4 children, they probably could really use that 12k, even if they receive food stamps. Not everyone is raping the system.

:huh: It's not a bonus... if they're getting it back, obviously they paid it in in the first place, and in fact overpaid based on their family income. At least they're trying - they've got jobs, don't they? In this economy, minimum wage might be all they can get, and they could be jumping on board with all the people out there who are just throwing their hands in the air and saying "gimme gimme" instead of trying. Give people some credit. Life is hard enough.

:grumble:
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

:huh: It's not a bonus... if they're getting it back, obviously they paid it in in the first place, and in fact overpaid based on their family income. At least they're trying - they've got jobs, don't they? In this economy, minimum wage might be all they can get, and they could be jumping on board with all the people out there who are just throwing their hands in the air and saying "gimme gimme" instead of trying. Give people some credit. Life is hard enough.

agree X a million. Some people have no clue how the tax system works. It's not free money--it's YOUR money.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    Gutter guards. Wooooooooo! We're party animals.
  • Danielle_Star
    Options
    Every year I use my return to go on vacay!!! This year I will be heading to Cali to see my niece graduate high school! Super Excited!!!
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options

For the food stamps, yes. For the $12K refund, not so much - that's their money that they over-paid in taxes.

That family needs some assistance with financial planning. They're unwittingly giving the Government a$12k per year interest-free loan, when they clearly need the money more for d-t-d expenses.

Have you offered to help them find a financial counselor instead of just beratting them for being poor?
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Payoff last credit card and a line of credit...then only student loans remain YAY
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Already spent-New Fuel pump for my car, registration for Disneyland 1/2 marathon, new running shoes
    Going to be spent-new tires for my car
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    IF we get anything back

it'll go to something super fun and awesome...like paying down our credit card or making an extra payment on our car

WOOHOOO PAR-TAY!!
  • NicoleElen
    NicoleElen Posts: 86 Member
    Options

For the food stamps, yes. For the $12K refund, not so much - that's their money that they over-paid in taxes.

That family needs some assistance with financial planning. They're unwittingly giving the Government a$12k per year interest-free loan, when they clearly need the money more for d-t-d expenses.

Have you offered to help them find a financial counselor instead of just beratting them for being poor?

FIRST - I never berated them for being poor. I am berating the SYSTEM! I helped them with their taxes, so I know for a fact that they didn't pay in 12 grand. In fact they paid in less than 2. What they got back was from child tax credits, and Earned Income credit alone. You people that keep saying that it's THEIR money have obviously forgotten that little gem. So no it's not THEIR money, it's tax dollars. Our state doesn't have income taxes.

I have tried to help them a lot, actually. The mother has access to free education. I have offered time and time again to help her study for her GED, to help her fill out a FASFA to get her free education, so that she can get a better job and not work in a warehouse, and she doesn't do it. So YES I think the system sucks and YES I have a right to complain about it.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

I agree. At least they are working.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

Beautifully spoken.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

It's apparent that she is much too busy working and working to pay all of their food stamps and their medical bills, according to her post. She must not have time to offer financial advice while supporting both her family and theirs. :tongue:
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    paying down the line of credit that we had to use to fix the roof last month :-/