What are you doing with your tax return?

Options
123457»

Replies

• lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Nothing anymore since in Canada you now get your tax return in increments! ********** government!!!!! I wonder where my tuition is going to come from now.....
  • CandaceyD
    Options
    Paying off my credit card, buying a new bike and maybe a new computer.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    my husband makes to much we owe this year :sad:
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Nothing because I got crap lol
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    My husband got two new pairs of shoes. This is HUGE (no pun intended) because he wears a size 16 and we have a very hard time finding affordable shoes for him. He also bought me a new HRM, 30ds dvd +mat and workout kit thingy, new running shoes, a new mountain bike, and we are spending the weekend together, just the two of us, at Disneyland this upcoming weekend. We used the rest of it to catch up on bills. We thought we had the amount of dependents adjusted properly this year but his work made a mistake and only gave him 1 dependent for half the year after cutting down his hours. :noway: We finally got it fixed midway through the year, because I kept pushing and pushing-there is no HR department at his work anymore and he didn't know how to adjust it himself. We need that money at each paycheck, not paid back at the end of the year. We don't make much and every bit counts.
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Paying on credit cards.
  • amycdsteinberg
    amycdsteinberg Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, paying off our last debt, doing a huge grocery shopping trip, sending my older kids out east to see my brother for a couple weeks, and then I am going SHOPPING for new clothes! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My neighbors, who have 4 children, got back almost 12,000 dollars this year! TWELVE GRAND! So we pay for their food stamps every month, their medicaid, and plus they get a BONUS 12 grand a year just for having that many kids and working minimum wage jobs. Makes no sense.

Well, at least I know where some of MY tax dollars went!!!!! LOL!
    For the food stamps, yes. For the $12K refund, not so much - that's their money that they over-paid in taxes.

That family needs some assistance with financial planning. They're unwittingly giving the Government a$12k per year interest-free loan, when they clearly need the money more for d-t-d expenses.

Have you offered to help them find a financial counselor instead of just beratting them for being poor?

FIRST - I never berated them for being poor. I am berating the SYSTEM! I helped them with their taxes, so I know for a fact that they didn't pay in 12 grand. In fact they paid in less than 2. What they got back was from child tax credits, and Earned Income credit alone. You people that keep saying that it's THEIR money have obviously forgotten that little gem. So no it's not THEIR money, it's tax dollars. Our state doesn't have income taxes.

I have tried to help them a lot, actually. The mother has access to free education. I have offered time and time again to help her study for her GED, to help her fill out a FASFA to get her free education, so that she can get a better job and not work in a warehouse, and she doesn't do it. So YES I think the system sucks and YES I have a right to complain about it.

you are right,one year i got a $6000 dollar tax return when i had only paid a lil ove a grand.
  • CandaceyD
    Options
    My neighbors, who have 4 children, got back almost 12,000 dollars this year! TWELVE GRAND! So we pay for their food stamps every month, their medicaid, and plus they get a BONUS 12 grand a year just for having that many kids and working minimum wage jobs. Makes no sense.

For the food stamps, yes. For the $12K refund, not so much - that's their money that they over-paid in taxes.

That family needs some assistance with financial planning. They're unwittingly giving the Government a$12k per year interest-free loan, when they clearly need the money more for d-t-d expenses.

Have you offered to help them find a financial counselor instead of just beratting them for being poor?

FIRST - I never berated them for being poor. I am berating the SYSTEM! I helped them with their taxes, so I know for a fact that they didn't pay in 12 grand. In fact they paid in less than 2. What they got back was from child tax credits, and Earned Income credit alone. You people that keep saying that it's THEIR money have obviously forgotten that little gem. So no it's not THEIR money, it's tax dollars. Our state doesn't have income taxes.

I have tried to help them a lot, actually. The mother has access to free education. I have offered time and time again to help her study for her GED, to help her fill out a FASFA to get her free education, so that she can get a better job and not work in a warehouse, and she doesn't do it. So YES I think the system sucks and YES I have a right to complain about it.

A lot of people feel afraid to go back to school. Afraid they have no time, afraid they're too dumb, or just plain afraid of change. With 4 kids, when do you thin she'll have time to study? Are they all old enough to stay out of trouble? Will you watch them? How does her husband (?) feel about her going to school? Maybe he wants to go.

While helping her to study for her GED is admirable, try and understand a bit more. My state doesn't have income tax either. Yes, it's irritating when you know that your taxes are supporting other people's lifestyle. But it doesn't sound like these people are deadbeats at all. Just in a bad situation.

You do have a right to complain, but do you have an alternative system? I would like to see a cap on tax breaks and refund credits, to all including the super rich. I would like there to be a mandatory series of random checks for those on welfare (i've seen people on welfare that live in mansions...not fair) and i would definitely like to see people that get credit back for government programs like Child Credit have a list of what they cannot use it for. Child credit stuff should go for the kids, not that new big screen tv, right? Don't just complain, do something, k?
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

Why do you pretend to "help them" and be friendly with them if you are just going to turn around and talk trash about them? If I were them i'd get my taxes done elsewhere and stay far away from you. Fake friends suck.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    Savings...I always chunk it into savings. Nothing glamourous but im plenty satisfied.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Going to England June!! I go about every 6 months
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You don't take into consideration that this mom has KIDS...who has time for school???? With working it is HARD to go to school..I know this for a fact. And don't even get me started on getting child care help for school. I tried that rout as well and gee...they approved me for Tuesdays and Thursdays child care...too bad my classes were on Wednesdays and Mondays! Did they fix it? No...and there was no classes for what I was taking on those days. Not to mention sometimes the 'help' is a subsidy that doesn't cover the complete cost of child care...and if you have young children? Forget it.

As for the child tax credit and earned income credit...EVERYONE has the potential to get this...so because they are on food stamps/aid they shouldn't get it?

Not everyone who is on food stamps/aid are milking the system..yeah, I am sure there are many who do this...but if you shut down the system you would royally screw those who have an honest need for it!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Husband was lucky enough to move to a fabulous new job, and we made it just under the cutoff for a return income wise. What we did get was spent on paying off the debt that accrued before this job. Here and gone in the blink of an eye, but one step closer to financial health.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Nothing anymore since in Canada you now get your tax return in increments! ********** government!!!!! I wonder where my tuition is going to come from now.....

Since when?!?
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You don't take into consideration that this mom has KIDS...who has time for school???? With working it is HARD to go to school..I know this for a fact. And don't even get me started on getting child care help for school. I tried that rout as well and gee...they approved me for Tuesdays and Thursdays child care...too bad my classes were on Wednesdays and Mondays! Did they fix it? No...and there was no classes for what I was taking on those days. Not to mention sometimes the 'help' is a subsidy that doesn't cover the complete cost of child care...and if you have young children? Forget it.

As for the child tax credit and earned income credit...EVERYONE has the potential to get this...so because they are on food stamps/aid they shouldn't get it?

Not everyone who is on food stamps/aid are milking the system..yeah, I am sure there are many who do this...but if you shut down the system you would royally screw those who have an honest need for it!

Anything is possible if there is a will. I have 5 children, all aged 11 and under and three years ago right after my last one was born I went back to school. Its been a slow process but I have managed to work part time and go to school and take care of my home and family. I graduate in the Spring.. so please don't say its impossible because nothing is impossible if you have you heart set on it.