Christians, what are you giving up for lent?

Options
12346»

Replies

• walkinmydoxies
    Options
    I'm giving up chocolate and all sweets for Lent :sad: Good luck to all!
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic and I will probably one of the only people in my church who observe lent, but I do it to get closer to God. I did it one year with a Catholic friend and found that it is something as a Christian I feel I should do.

I will be giving up sweets which are my most favorite thing so I'll be doing a lot of studying and praying because I want sweets all the time and I will be doing more charity work.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm not religious, but Lent gives me a period of time that I can reasonably stick to, to cut back and live a healthier life. This year it'll be takeaways and chocolate. I wouldn't ever give up something I rarely have because it just feels like cheating - what's the point?
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm a Methodist, as a denomination I don't think we're expected to give anything up but quite a lot of us do. Last year I gave up my favourite soap - TV not hygiene! and I haven't gone back to watching it so I earned myself a couple of hours extra time each week. This year I was thinking of giving up wine, but maybe it'd better to give up being such a couch potato and get more active in Lent - hopefully that will go on after Lent is over too :happy:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies... :D

Oh and to the PP, I never disgard someones thoughts based on religiosity...
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm a Christian (Baptist) but I don't celebrate Lent.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    396349_303698959694557_150665568331231_872382_1353829377_n.jpg

too funny! Love it!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Not a dam thing.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to make an effort to lift more and gain some weight.
  • TrinaCanDoThis
    Options
    Well, I am Catholic and was originally going to say Catholic, but then I saw on wikipedia that it said, "This event, along with its pious customs are observed by Roman Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Anglicans and some Baptists."

edit: I said "Christians" to be safe. I'm aware that not all Christians observe~!
    Im Baptist and it is observed by Baptists. typically, the Pastor will request the church to fast during certain hours of the day or request them to give up something. My goal is give up meats, except seafood. It'll be tough but I'm going to try. Wish me luck! :)
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I'm not trying to start something... but why do people give up seemingly trivial things... or things that seem easy.... like food. I mean I can see cigarettes... I mean isn't the point of Lent to give up something that hinders ones relationship with God? I'm truly curious, so I'm not trying to judge anyone... I mean, I guess unless consuming things like chocolate or soda is hindering ones relationship with God by not being a good steward of your body... but if that's the case, then shouldn't one abstain from that for longer than 40 days?

ETA: sorry for using "I mean" too many times in this posting... :ohwell:

that's what I thought......But being overweight and the sin of gluttony can be be a barrier between you and God, I think the sacrifice depends on the motivation of the heart.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I'm not trying to start something... but why do people give up seemingly trivial things... or things that seem easy.... like food. I mean I can see cigarettes... I mean isn't the point of Lent to give up something that hinders ones relationship with God? I'm truly curious, so I'm not trying to judge anyone... I mean, I guess unless consuming things like chocolate or soda is hindering ones relationship with God by not being a good steward of your body... but if that's the case, then shouldn't one abstain from that for longer than 40 days?

ETA: sorry for using "I mean" too many times in this posting... :ohwell:

that's what I thought......But being overweight and the sin of gluttony can be be a barrier between you and God, I think the sacrifice depends on the motivation of the heart.

I agree that sacrifice is different for each of us. Even a small sacrifice can draw us closer to Jesus and help us meditate on his great love for us and His tremendous sacrifice.

Also, I heard a priest (practicing Catholic here) once explain that it was also a process of practicing saying "no" to ourselves. If I give up eating cookies for six weeks, I will have practiced the self discipline necessary to avoid actual sin when the opportunity presents itself.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    I'm a Christian (Baptist) but I don't celebrate Lent.

this
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    im not religious but im taking the opportunity to give up being mean!
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not really giving up anything, but I am going to church on my day off of work. This is in addition to Sunday. I figured that I can improve my relationship with the Lord that way.