Women lifters.....

Options

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I am sad seeing all these beautiful weights. One day, I'll be that uber.

I just started getting serious about lifting.

Squat: 95 (sorta... I've recently realized that I'm not going parallel with my legs, so... need to figure out what I can actually do when doing these correctly. Also, this is how I hurt my foot... so I'm not sure I should even list the weight I'm doing for these)

Deadlift: 95

Lunge: just body weight

Step up: just body weight

Dumbell shoulder press: 30

Bent-over row: 50

Wide-grip Lat pulldown 65

Bench press: 65
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I started Rippetoe's Starting Strength Novice program about 3 weeks ago so I'm a true novice, no lifting background whatsoever. It's 3x5.

I do 3 workouts per week, about 45 min session. It alternates between Workout A & Workout B. So I usually go M, W, F on and rest days in between and on weekends. Doesn't always happen like that though! But I try...

Workout A

Squat
    Bench Press
    Deadlift

Workout B

Squat
    Press
    Power Clean (although I haven't done these yet, I'm still learning deadlift form... plus, I don't have bumper plates yet!)

Right now my working set weights are:

Squat 3x5 @ 65
    Bench Press 3x5 @ 55
    Press 3x5 @ 40
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 120

5'7"
    128 lbs
    ~27% body fat
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am sad seeing all these beautiful weights. One day, I'll be that uber.

Don't be sad! We all had to start somewhere!
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Bump to add to My Topics. Great thread!
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    O.M.G.......I grunt like a man!!!! It's hilarious....

art.gym_.lw_.gi_.jpg

Here are a few things I've been thinking about since I've started heavy lifting this week.

I'm *seriously* pissed I've never tried this before! wth? I've worked out my whole life, and I've tried everything....except toddling over to the guys side of the gym and lifting with the bars. I never even considered it. They all looked like hulks over there.

BUT, I've run through numerous big boy bar exercises now, and I can TOTALLY see why men never do crunches. Working with the bar and heavy weights you use your torso/core soooo much. I can feel my obliques and abs working with every movement, and the heavier I lift the more I feel them.

I'm very sore....I can feel every muscle right now. It's freaking incredible. THANK YOU MFP WOMEN LIFTERS for pushing this issue. I have seen the light.....I'm totally and completely hooked.....:drinker:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

art.gym_.lw_.gi_.jpg

Here are a few things I've been thinking about since I've started heavy lifting this week.

I'm *seriously* pissed I've never tried this before! wth? I've worked out my whole life, and I've tried everything....except toddling over to the guys side of the gym and lifting with the bars. I never even considered it. They all looked like hulks over there.

BUT, I've run through numerous big boy bar exercises now, and I can TOTALLY see why men never do crunches. Working with the bar and heavy weights you use your torso/core soooo much. I can feel my obliques and abs working with every movement, and the heavier I lift the more I feel them.

I'm very sore....I can feel every muscles right now. It's freaking incredible. THANK YOU MFP WOMEN LIFTERS for pushing this issue. I have seen the light.....I'm totally and completely hooked.....:drinker:

LOVE!

I also grunt!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

I'm *seriously* pissed I've never tried this before! wth?

My response exactly!
  • diggly
    diggly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks to everyone who shared (though I'm not the OP). I've just started a cardio routine but after reading so many stories here, I'll want to try heavy lifting too.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I'm currently doing the new rules of lifting for women program. You can check out my blog. Myfitnesspal.com/blog/laursey
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

art.gym_.lw_.gi_.jpg

I'm very sore....I can feel every muscle right now. It's freaking incredible. THANK YOU MFP WOMEN LIFTERS for pushing this issue. I have seen the light.....I'm totally and completely hooked.....:drinker:

LOVE! :flowerforyou:

I still work my abs though... just cuz I am INSANE...
  • Deanna051
    Deanna051 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    saving :)
  • strongsteps
    Options
    Loads of info. Thanks!
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

This is an incredible plan. It's a 12 week program, that slowly escalates. I highly recommend it. I have been through the whole program, and am doing a second round now. I started from phase 2 the second time, because the first 4 weeks were a little too easy by the time I had gotten through the program. I have never been so strong, and see definition I never thought I would! I have been doing weight lifting for a while, but I love to have a full plan at the gym, I work so much harder, and it takes out the guess work when I'm there making me much more focused.

Great! Thanks for the link!
  • innogen
    innogen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Saved
  • auntlooloo
    Options
    Great info. Thanks!
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Bump:)
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I bench press 90lbs and leg press 250 this last week, I think I will keep it at that weight next week too. :flowerforyou:

I use HIIT
    http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html

and lifting following this link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/373801-two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine

I life 4 days a week and my cardio is 30 to 60 min walk/jog in the mornings 5 days a week.
    Lifting schedule:

Monday:
    is a Fast day with full rest, no morning walk.

Tuesday:
    Morning walk then afternoon lifting
    10 min warm up walk/jog
    60 to 80 min lifting tailored to Triceps, Chest, legs and abs.
    40 min stationary bike with HIIT:
    5 min @ tension 5 then 30 sec @ tension 20, then 1 min @ tension 5 and repeat for 15 to 20 min. Then I reduce the tension to 5 till I have completed 30 min on the bike.
    Finally a 25 min aerobics with stretching routine.

Wednesdays:
    10 min warm up walk/jog
    60 to 80 min lifting tailored to biceps, back, chest and abs.
    30 min HIIT with running/jogging and passing a 6 to 8 lb ball.

Thursday:
    Rest day with morning walk :)

Friday:
    10 min warm up walk/jog
    60 to 80 min lifting tailored to Triceps, Chest, legs and abs.
    40 min stationary bike with HIIT:
    5 min @ tension 5 then 30 sec @ tension 20, then 1 min @ tension 5 and repeat for 15 to 20 min. Then I reduce the tension to 5 till I have completed 30 min on the bike.

Saturday:
    Rest day with morning walk.

Sunday:
    No morning walk
    10 min warm up walk/jog
    60 to 80 min lifting tailored to biceps, back, chest and abs.
    30 min HIIT with running/jogging and passing a 6 to 8 lb ball.

Remember to eat properly too, I eat an average of 2100 cals per day Tuesday through Sunday and end up with a deficit of 4000 cals at the end of the week.
    I do one 24 hr fast Following ESE starting Sunday 7:30 pm ending Monday 7:30 pm I make sure to leave at least 1000 cals and don't pay attention to macros..
    Tuesday through Friday I eat pretty clean and only my cooking with a 400 cal deficit and only eating back half my burned cals, with macros (50% protein, 20% carbs, 30% fat).
    Sat and Sunday I eat with no deficit what ever I want without going over on my cals for the day and not paying attention to my macros.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • GypsyOverstreet
    Options
    BUMP this is great...
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump