Are you in a Low Carb diet? You need to read this

Options
I would like to share what I consider as an excellent compilation of evidence on

Efficacy and Safety of Low-Carbohydrate Diets

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/289/14/1837.long

I recommend to read the whole thing, but Interesting abstracts are:

1) Conclusions

There is insufficient evidence to make recommendations for or against the use of low-carbohydrate diets, particularly among participants older than age 50 years, for use longer than 90 days, or for diets of 20 g/d or less of carbohydrates.

Among the published studies, participant weight loss while using low-carbohydrate diets was principally associated with decreased caloric intake and increased diet duration but not with reduced carbohydrate content.

2) numerous professional organizations, including the American Dietetic Association and the American Heart Association, have cautioned against the use of low-carbohydrate diets.9-12​ There are concerns that low-carbohydrate diets lead to abnormal metabolic functioning that may have serious medical consequences, particularly for participants with cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, or hypertension.

3) Despite the large number of Americans who have apparently adopted this approach to weight loss and/or weight maintenance, we know little of its effects or consequences. In particular, these diets have not been adequately evaluated for use longer than 90 days, for individuals aged 53 years or older, or for use by participants with hyperlipidemia, hypertension, or diabetes. The lowest-carbohydrate diets (eg, ≤20 g/d of carbohydrates, the recommended threshold for some of the most popular diets) have been studied in only 71 participants for whom no data on serum lipid, fasting serum glucose, and fasting serum insulin levels or blood pressure was reported.

4) We found insufficient evidence to conclude that lower-carbohydrate content is independently associated with greater weight loss compared with higher-carbohydrate content. We did find, however, that diets that restricted calorie intake and were longer in duration were associated with weight loss. Given the limited evidence in this review, when lower-carbohydrate diets result in weight loss, it also is likely due to the restriction of calorie intake and longer duration rather than carbohydrate intake.

5) The results of our systematic review suggest that if participants without diabetes tolerate a lower-carbohydrate diet better than a higher-carbohydrate alternative, this diet may be an effective means of achieving short-term weight loss without significant adverse effects on serum lipid levels, glycemic control, or blood pressure. However, there is insufficient evidence to recommend or condemn the use of these diets among participants with diabetes or for long-term use.

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in 2003 and have been on and off low carb since then. I sustained the lifestyle and weight loss for over 5 years before I was involved in a near fatal car accident in 2008.

I went back on low carb in 2011 and have now reveresed from full blown Type 2 Diabetes back to insulin resistance and working on getting back to normal now.

Most of these articles are biased and I am by far more healthy living a controlled carb lifestyle compared to not.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read in a bit...
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in 2003 and have been on and off low carb since then. I sustained the lifestyle and weight loss for over 5 years before I was involved in a near fatal car accident in 2008.

I went back on low carb in 2011 and have now reveresed from full blown Type 2 Diabetes back to insulin resistance and working on getting back to normal now.

Most of these articles are biased and I am by far more healthy living a controlled carb lifestyle compared to not.

Please note that the article is a compilation of studies, and thus can't really be biased. Unless we could detect that they picked only studies that corresponded to a particular way of thinking.

The authors are from Stanford, which gives the study a lot of credibility in my opinion

and they included at the end this disclaimer:

Disclaimer: None of the authors has financial or other conflicts of interest pertaining to the use of low-carbohydrate diets or diet products. This project received no funding from any manufacturer or purveyor of dietary goods or services.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Well duh isn't every study conclusive and say.... Although carbs, protein or fats were restricted.... Bottom line is calorie control above everything else.

The debates will continue and people will be saying yes or no to particular diets... In my honest opinion to a large degree all diets are in some ways fads. I have read positives about a low fat diet cons about and same with low carb diets and other diets.

I quit reading research papers and studies long ago because in all aspects they are controlled and not realistic for you and I to follow.

Eat, be merry and choose quality foods but also don't be afraid to eat that high fat muffin once in a while.

Living with a diabetic (my father) who is also a dialysis patient. It seems to me that diabetes although can be created by lifestyle choices to a large degree is also genetical.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    So basically they said there is no relation between low carb diets and weight loss. Doesn't mean that they don't work for some people. It doesn't say whether or not they are healthy. All it really says is that some organizations fear that the high fat content of a low carb diet can cause health problems. So I guess that means that eating a low carb and lower fat, especially trans and saturated fats, diet is probably fine.
    I don't see how this is helping anyone?
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    So basically they said there is no relation between low carb diets and weight loss. Doesn't mean that they don't work for some people. It doesn't say whether or not they are healthy. All it really says is that some organizations fear that the high fat content of a low carb diet can cause health proteins. So I guess that means that eating a low carb and lower fat, especially trans and saturated fats, diet is probably fine.

Exactly!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    The conclusions are not particularly helpful. The shear number of qualifiers and statements that there is insufficient evidence to make a definitive statement makes me think that the real conclusion of this study is more study is needed. So basically they are neither recommending nor discouraging this type of dieting.
  • lizard053
    Options
    The conclusions are not particularly helpful. The shear number of qualifiers and statements that there is insufficient evidence to make a definitive statement makes me think that the real conclusion of this study is more study is needed. So basically they are neither recommending nor discouraging this type of dieting.
    Agreed!
  • ElPumaMex
    Options
    Agreed!

Yes, they are not conclusive, mainly because there is not enough data out there.

But they did state:
    "Among the published studies, participant weight loss while using low-carbohydrate diets was principally associated with decreased caloric intake and increased diet duration but not with reduced carbohydrate content. "

In other words, weight reduction is because of low caloric intake. No need to go for a low carb diet to achieve this.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    So basically they said there is no relation between low carb diets and weight loss. Doesn't mean that they don't work for some people. It doesn't say whether or not they are healthy. All it really says is that some organizations fear that the high fat content of a low carb diet can cause health problems. So I guess that means that eating a low carb and lower fat, especially trans and saturated fats, diet is probably fine.

I know from my personal experiences that the way for me to control Metabolic Syndrome, PCOS, Diabetes and Thyroid issues is to eat a high fat (yes including a lot of saturated fat), moderate protein, lower carb (all carbs coming from vegetables and fruits).

My lipid profile is GREAT and my triglycerides are very low now.

My only aggravating factor is that because of the PCOS and Thyroid issues my weight loss is dreadfully slow, but now I am ok with that because I am focusing on health.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It's not we already had this debate this morning. Some people function better on a lower amount of carbs. However, the problem lies in when outlandish claims are being made about the benefits of going low carb, over a traditional diet.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I'll take my chances with the low carb diet.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

I know from my personal experiences that the way for me to control Metabolic Syndrome, PCOS, Diabetes and Thyroid issues is to eat a high fat (yes including a lot of saturated fat), moderate protein, lower carb (all carbs coming from vegetables and fruits).

My lipid profile is GREAT and my triglycerides are very low now.

My only aggravating factor is that because of the PCOS and Thyroid issues my weight loss is dreadfully slow, but now I am ok with that because I am focusing on health.

Well no kidding. Of course you did well on a low carb diet, all diabetics are prescribed a low carb diet for that very reason. That's not rocket surgery. I see you constantly pushing low carb here because of your personal experience, using anecdotal evidence, but claiming everyone else is biased.

Low carb is appropriate for diabetics. It is probably not necessary or beneficial for the rest of the population. You cannot extrapolate your experience to the whole population. Low protein diets are appropriate for end stage renal disease patients, so does this mean everyone should be low protein too? Of course not. Logic 101.
  • lizard053
    Options
    It's not we already had this debate this morning. Some people function better on a lower amount of carbs. However, the problem lies in when outlandish claims are being made about the benefits of going low carb, over a traditional diet.
    It's not like this debate doesn't happen on a regular basis, right? :bigsmile:
    Problem is, people tend to get really gung ho about something that gets them big results, not caring about the science. There are some real outlandish claims out there, but if you're reasonable about it, it does really boil down to controlled calorie intake. I know this. I'm a low-carber, I'll admit it. I need to be. Starches react poorly with me, so my carbs mostly come from veggies and a few fruits. And I'm allergic to yeast, so breads are out. My boyfriend is diabetic, so starches and sugars are out for him. We both live low-carb. It works for us. I'm not going to say it is a "healthier" choice, even though I feel it is, because I know it doesn't work for everyone! However, my high protein diet is also low calorie. I know it's the calorie counting that gets me losing weight. But I FEEL better eating low carb. Just the way things work for me!
    There's just plain not enough data, at all, for any claims for or against.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    Agreed!

Yes, they are not conclusive, mainly because there is not enough data out there.

But they did state:
    "Among the published studies, participant weight loss while using low-carbohydrate diets was principally associated with decreased caloric intake and increased diet duration but not with reduced carbohydrate content. "

In other words, weight reduction is because of low caloric intake. No need to go for a low carb diet to achieve this.

That should be self evident. If a person does not have a caloric deficit they will not lose weight no matter what they are eating. That basic fact cannot be overcome. The necessity of every single diet out there to lose weight is that they establish a caloric deficit. All the other stuff is just extra that may of may not help someone. As far as I know, no one has found a way to circumvent the laws of thermodynamics by having people not gain weigh when in a caloric surplus. For some people a low carb diet may help them maintain that deficit better than high carb. It is personal preference. Based on this study it cannot say such a diet is certainly harmful, but only that some groups express concern that is may cause problems, not that they have shown that it does. Thus, all this proves is that if you want to do low carb, there is currently no solid evidence that it is harmful and more study is needed. As I said, not particularly helpful unless you happen to be a researcher looking for your next study.
  • ElPumaMex
    Options
    Agreed!

But they did state:

That should be self evident. If a person does not have a caloric deficit they will not lose weight no matter what they are eating. That basic fact cannot be overcome. The necessity of every single diet out there to lose weight is that they establish a caloric deficit. All the other stuff is just extra that may of may not help someone. As far as I know, no one has found a way to circumvent the laws of thermodynamics by having people not gain weigh when in a caloric surplus. For some people a low carb diet may help them maintain that deficit better than high carb. It is personal preference. Based on this study it cannot say such a diet is certainly harmful, but only that some groups express concern that is may cause problems, not that they have shown that it does. Thus, all this proves is that if you want to do low carb, there is currently no solid evidence that it is harmful and more study is needed. As I said, not particularly helpful unless you happen to be a researcher looking for your next study.

Agreed there are no revolutionary findings in the study.

However, the main point I can derive from the study is that a Low Carb diet gives no advantage in terms of weight loss.

So the study is helpful, as it dispels the notion that many have about the "magic pill" of a low carb diet.

There is absolutely no need to severely restrict the Carbs.
    Why would anyone want to subject their body to an unnatural way of eating, if there is no clear advantage of doing so?
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options

Among the published studies, participant weight loss while using low-carbohydrate diets was principally associated with decreased caloric intake and increased diet duration but not with reduced carbohydrate content.

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but blah blah blah

First...too long, and you lost me after 3 sentences
    second....do what works for you..simple carbs raises the glycemic index adding to weight gain...complex not as much
    third...carbs (along with protien) are needed for muscle growth...complex are best

Did you go to the search function? This along with fiber, caloric intake, protein, exercise are the most common talked about. Read up...I eat complex carbs and loose weight.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options

I quit reading research papers and studies long ago because in all aspects they are controlled and not realistic for you and I to follow

THIS!!!! THE REAL WORLD IS NOT A CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT!!! I'll take real-life, non-controlled results rather than textbook science ones. Thanks!
  • lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, I always enjoy a good debate and there is never a shortage of those on MFP with regards to health, nutrition and fitness.