Are you in a Low Carb diet? You need to read this

Options

Replies

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Low carb is appropriate for diabetics. It is probably not necessary or beneficial for the rest of the population. You cannot extrapolate your experience to the whole population. Low protein diets are appropriate for end stage renal disease patients, so does this mean everyone should be low protein too? Of course not. Logic 101.

You're no doctor, you shouldn't be giving advice.

Can I say ditto, mr. Get off your meds and hope to God that you don't murder people in your wake???
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Thermodynamically there is no difference - 4 cals per gram of protein or carbs.

However, in the real world and avoiding hunger pangs/blood sugar bounces (where on craves carb based food) a low carb diet will often help this. The main thing in dieting is over eating and the lack of large insulin releases when on a lower carb diet often prevents over eating and many find it easier. What is more, low carb can be sub 20g a day all the way up to 100-150g a day. There is no set 'low' carb diet.

Which creates an issue - studies will not show all the variables it looks at it in a black and white way, not in any shades of grey.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Low carb is appropriate for diabetics. It is probably not necessary or beneficial for the rest of the population. You cannot extrapolate your experience to the whole population. Low protein diets are appropriate for end stage renal disease patients, so does this mean everyone should be low protein too? Of course not. Logic 101.

You're no doctor, you shouldn't be giving advice.
    Oh, the irony.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I've got a crazy idea! How bout letting people who feel better eating low carb eat low carb, let people who prefer high carbs eat lots of carbs, and leave everyone alone. Honestly, I don't understand the reason for posts like this. You don't like low carb? Congrats. Don't eat that way.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've got a crazy idea! How bout letting people who feel better eating low carb eat low carb, let people who prefer high carbs eat lots of carbs, and leave everyone alone. Honestly, I don't understand the reason for posts like this. You don't like low carb? Congrats. Don't eat that way.
    It's madness, this idea...

But I'll come sit next to you.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    It's madness, this idea...

But I'll come sit next to you.

Blanky? I share.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

You are right - you are obviously a sick and crazy mentalist. This kind of sensible talk from you can only lead to further madness, desist at once for the love of all that is sane! :tongue:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    The conclusions are not particularly helpful. The shear number of qualifiers and statements that there is insufficient evidence to make a definitive statement makes me think that the real conclusion of this study is more study is needed. So basically they are neither recommending nor discouraging this type of dieting.
    Agreed!

Yes, they are not conclusive, mainly because there is not enough data out there.

But they did state:
    "Among the published studies, participant weight loss while using low-carbohydrate diets was principally associated with decreased caloric intake and increased diet duration but not with reduced carbohydrate content. "

In other words, weight reduction is because of low caloric intake. No need to go for a low carb diet to achieve this.

That should be self evident. If a person does not have a caloric deficit they will not lose weight no matter what they are eating. That basic fact cannot be overcome. The necessity of every single diet out there to lose weight is that they establish a caloric deficit. All the other stuff is just extra that may of may not help someone. As far as I know, no one has found a way to circumvent the laws of thermodynamics by having people not gain weigh when in a caloric surplus. For some people a low carb diet may help them maintain that deficit better than high carb. It is personal preference. Based on this study it cannot say such a diet is certainly harmful, but only that some groups express concern that is may cause problems, not that they have shown that it does. Thus, all this proves is that if you want to do low carb, there is currently no solid evidence that it is harmful and more study is needed. As I said, not particularly helpful unless you happen to be a researcher looking for your next study.

Agreed there are no revolutionary findings in the study.

However, the main point I can derive from the study is that a Low Carb diet gives no advantage in terms of weight loss.

So the study is helpful, as it dispels the notion that many have about the "magic pill" of a low carb diet.

There is absolutely no need to severely restrict the Carbs.
    Why would anyone want to subject their body to an unnatural way of eating, if there is no clear advantage of doing so?

Maybe not Physiologically, although this compilation of studies doesn't say that, but mentally for many people it is helpful to them, That is what personal preference means. You apparently don't like it. I by the way don't do it. But, I know people who love it, and do well on it. Their weight loss is a result of the caloric deficit, sticking to it is a result of how this type of eating pattern makes them feel. Unless a preponderance of evidence showing a danger to eating this way was missed by those who did this, people can feel free to eat this way, and should not be told not to.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    The conclusions are not particularly helpful. The shear number of qualifiers and statements that there is insufficient evidence to make a definitive statement makes me think that the real conclusion of this study is more study is needed. So basically they are neither recommending nor discouraging this type of dieting.
    Agreed!

Yes, they are not conclusive, mainly because there is not enough data out there.

But they did state:
    "Among the published studies, participant weight loss while using low-carbohydrate diets was principally associated with decreased caloric intake and increased diet duration but not with reduced carbohydrate content. "

In other words, weight reduction is because of low caloric intake. No need to go for a low carb diet to achieve this.

That's not your call to make. Personally, I can't stand to do low-carb because I don't enjoy eating that way and I feel like crap. It works wonderfully for other people. I assume those people enjoy that style of eating, much as I enjoy my vegetarianism. For some people, for whatever reason, they feel better when they reduce carbs.

I don't understand why people treat diets like religion. Why can't you just eat how you want to eat and not worry about other people?
  • nvb1987
    Options
    As someone studying dietetics the biggest thing that leads to weight loss that ALL STUDIES SHOW is moderation in is less then moderation out (that does not put your body into starvation mode) will lead to weight loss.

People do lose weight on low carb diets. I know from seeing it in my own experiences and observation of body builders in my line of work. What they do not know is that most of the weight they lose is water weight from the body needing it to help flush out ketones from the bodies. (to many ketones can be bad)

I am not saying to stop doing a low carb diet if that is your lifestyle and you enjoy it or the diet has worked for you. I am just passing on information that I have learned from my studies.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You know what I hate about studies like these? They all seem to assume that the only reason a person would go low-carb is to lose weight. That's not why I've limited my carb intake. I choose not to eat many processed foods because a "cleaner" diet simply makes me feel better. I will still occasionally have a slice of pizza or bread or some ice cream or whatever. They just aren't a regular part of my diet because I don't like the way I feel when I eat stuff like that on a regular basis. It's not because I'm afraid of carbs or afraid I will get fat if I eat a donut. It's also not a "diet" or a fad for me. It's just the way I eat. I don't ever intend to go back to eating a lot of processed food.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

But they did state:

Yes, but they miss the point that to many, low caloric intake is easier to maintain on low carb diets than on low calorie everything in moderations diets. For many reasons.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I recall reading some anecdotal evidence that low carb diets impair thyroid function when used for extended periods of time (like years).

Doesn't really concern me much, they would have to pry pancakes from my cold, dead hands.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    People do lose weight on low carb diets. I know from seeing it in my own experiences and observation of body builders in my line of work. What they do not know is that most of the weight they lose is water weight from the body needing it to help flush out ketones from the bodies. (to many ketones can be bad)

I have a friend who lost well over 100 pounds on a low carb diet. I find it very hard to believe that most of that was water.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    So basically they said there is no relation between low carb diets and weight loss. Doesn't mean that they don't work for some people. It doesn't say whether or not they are healthy. All it really says is that some organizations fear that the high fat content of a low carb diet can cause health problems. So I guess that means that eating a low carb and lower fat, especially trans and saturated fats, diet is probably fine.
    I don't see how this is helping anyone?

I know from my personal experiences that the way for me to control Metabolic Syndrome, PCOS, Diabetes and Thyroid issues is to eat a high fat (yes including a lot of saturated fat), moderate protein, lower carb (all carbs coming from vegetables and fruits).

My lipid profile is GREAT and my triglycerides are very low now.

My only aggravating factor is that because of the PCOS and Thyroid issues my weight loss is dreadfully slow, but now I am ok with that because I am focusing on health.

Well no kidding. Of course you did well on a low carb diet, all diabetics are prescribed a low carb diet for that very reason. That's not rocket surgery. I see you constantly pushing low carb here because of your personal experience, using anecdotal evidence, but claiming everyone else is biased.

I advocate the way I eat because I don't see where anyone would NOT benefit from eating WHOLE FOODS that come from nature, not canned, packaged, frozen, ready to eat CRAP.

I will continue to speak out against all these corporations and the food manufacturing business. I not so much advocate low carb, but advocate more of eating foods that are natural. I also advocate eating from local sources to keep money in the local economies and away from the large corporations.

And actually you are somewhat wrong about renal disease patients as they are using High Fat, moderate protein, lower carb (coming from whole foods) now days and are able to reverse renal disease using a whole foods approach.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

I have a friend who lost well over 100 pounds on a low carb diet. I find it very hard to believe that most of that was water.

It is not, it is fat is mainly fat and some lean body mass. I prepped for my first comp using CKD and was shredded 3 years back.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Ha ha, I agree. I made made up of 99% water then also..........in 2003 I lost over 100 pounds on Atkins and was smaller at a higher weight than I previously was at that same weight.

The only reason I am having to lose weight again is because I was hit by a car and was involved in a near fatal car accident in 2008 and I gained a lot of weight back due to depression, poor eating habits and medications that make you gain weight.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    As someone studying dietetics the biggest thing that leads to weight loss that ALL STUDIES SHOW is moderation in is less then moderation out (that does not put your body into starvation mode) will lead to weight loss.

I am not saying to stop doing a low carb diet if that is your lifestyle and you enjoy it or the diet has worked for you. I am just passing on information that I have learned from my studies.

The water weight loss is in the first few days..................Geeez. After that first week or so it is FAT loss and some minimal lean body mass (every weight loss plan you lose lean mass to an extent).

And there is nothing dangerous about ketones.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

But they did state:

Yes, but they miss the point that to many, low caloric intake is easier to maintain on low carb diets than on low calorie everything in moderations diets. For many reasons.

I was thinking this myself. Simple carbs are very calorie-dense foods. Whatever your calorie goal is, you're going to hit that total with much less food if you're eating a lot of simple carbs than if you stick mostly to unprocessed foods. So yes, you can still lose weight eating donuts and french fries. You're just not going to get to eat very much.

I also think the quality of the food you eat affects your body composition. Losing weight is a simple process (calories in < calories out). Losing FAT while retaining muscle is much more complicated, and it does matter WHAT you eat, not just how MUCH you eat.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Thermodynamically there is no difference - 4 cals per gram of protein or carbs.

However, in the real world and avoiding hunger pangs/blood sugar bounces (where on craves carb based food) a low carb diet will often help this. The main thing in dieting is over eating and the lack of large insulin releases when on a lower carb diet often prevents over eating and many find it easier. What is more, low carb can be sub 20g a day all the way up to 100-150g a day. There is no set 'low' carb diet.

Which creates an issue - studies will not show all the variables it looks at it in a black and white way, not in any shades of grey.

This. I don't follow low carb (I'm usually around 100g/day) but I do follow South Beach and find that avoiding simple carbs prevents cravings and hunger, which in turn makes it much easier to keep calories down.