Are you in a Low Carb diet? You need to read this

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I hate how people criticize low-carbers for giving up carbs unnecessarily. First off, most of us are not giving them up per se, I eat from 50-100g of carbs a day. Second, I don't have to restrict calories directly when eating low-carb because it better facilitates instinctive eating since it emphasizes more whole foods that are either higher in protein, lower on the GI scale, have more fiber, or are generally less calorically dense. Third, we don't need to eat any foods high in carbohydrate. There is no compelling evidence that a diet high in carbohydrates is necessary to be healthy.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I was never able to do low carb. I'm very muscular, and my muscles simply demand fuel. I did change how and what I took in though. I switched from concentrated processed sugars to lower glycemic whole and multigrains. I eat in six divided meals that are approximate in calories.. Even now on high protein to build muscle, I've had to tweak the diet to add in more carbs so that I have the energy to drive these muscles where I need them to go. I've seen people miserable on low carb trying to lean out as much as possible..and I wonder, who are they making happy? Certainly not themselves.. and if you're not happy, how can anyone around you be happy? I don't understand their motivation.. thank goodness.
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I hate how people criticize low-carbers for giving up carbs unnecessarily. First off, most of us are not giving them up per se, I eat from 50-100g of carbs a day.

My MIL is on one of those fad diets. (She has lost 100 pounds twice on Weight Watchers, and now she is trying to lose a third time via the low carb method.) She was over for dinner the other night. We eat challah, which is a sweet bread for our sabbath. I had forgotten to take out her low carb pitas from the freezer. She refused to take even a tiny nibble of the bread while it was defrosting. (Give me a break. The stupid pitas defrost in like 15 seconds!) Anyway, my hubby commented, "Even anorexic over there will eat the challah." (That is his nickname for me because he thinks I am too thin.)

Yet she sat there at dinner and ate probably 2 pounds of ground meat mixed with peppers. I have read up on the no carbs/low carbs diets. (Why We Get Fat, etc.) For me personally, low carbs is awful. I am constantly hungry. I NEED carbs, and I have dropped a lot of weight following the GI diet. (I've been following it for years, because I have low blood sugar issues in the afternoon.) I also think portion control and exercise matter more than anything else. (Except maybe eating a ton of junk like cake and cookies and soda.) Just my two cents, for what it is worth.
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was never able to do low carb. I'm very muscular, and my muscles simply demand fuel. I did change how and what I took in though. I switched from concentrated processed sugars to lower glycemic whole and multigrains. I eat in six divided meals that are approximate in calories.. Even now on high protein to build muscle, I've had to tweak the diet to add in more carbs so that I have the energy to drive these muscles where I need them to go. I've seen people miserable on low carb trying to lean out as much as possible..and I wonder, who are they making happy? Certainly not themselves.. and if you're not happy, how can anyone around you be happy? I don't understand their motivation.. thank goodness.

ITA! And I am not totally muscular.
  • grinch031
    Options

Yet she sat there at dinner and ate probably 2 pounds of ground meat mixed with peppers. I have read up on the no carbs/low carbs diets. (Why We Get Fat, etc.) For me personally, low carbs is awful. I am constantly hungry. I NEED carbs, and I have dropped a lot of weight following the GI diet. (I've been following it for years, because I have low blood sugar issues in the afternoon.) I also think portion control and exercise matter more than anything else. (Except maybe eating a ton of junk like cake and cookies and soda.) Just my two cents, for what it is worth.

I've read that to some extent there are two phenotypes, one that functions better on high-fat diets, and one that functions better on low-carb diets and is sort of alluded to in "The Carnivore Connection hypothesis" and a couple of studies out there as well.

Back when I was eating high-carb I was hungry all the time and used to have crazy late night binges on carbs. I was always starving about 2 hours after a high-carb meal. Calorie restriction was next to impossible for me because I would act irrationally when the cravings kicked in.

Eating low-carb, when I eat a big protein meal, I am usually satisfied for hours and hunger is a more gradual process. I can maintain without even counting calories.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    People do lose weight on low carb diets. I know from seeing it in my own experiences and observation of body builders in my line of work. What they do not know is that most of the weight they lose is water weight from the body needing it to help flush out ketones from the bodies. (to many ketones can be bad)

I have a friend who lost well over 100 pounds on a low carb diet. I find it very hard to believe that most of that was water.

Yeah, I've lost 68 pounds of water! :laugh:
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My intention for posting this study from Stanford, was to give another piece of information to low-carb dieters, so that they can better make a decision.

I am concerned at a personal level, that some low-carb dieters are going to extremes that may be unhealthy, as the study quotes from several medical associations.

However, I am not going to try to convince anyone here of not doing low carbs; several years ago, experimenting like many with diets, I did try the low carb diet.

If I had been informed at the time, as the study shows, that weight reduction is not improved by a low-carb diet, I would not have tried it.

I just wished that MFP or similar had been available before !
    MFP gives me the opportunity to reduce weight, while keeping a Balanced diet. No need for low carbs, or low protein, or any extreme diet.
    Concentrating in only the carbs, I would be missing the whole picture. Now that I use MFP, I also monitor Sodium, Fiber, Cholesterol, Fat.

Again, that is my way and I wish everyone the best of luck with their diets ! :bigsmile:

I am happy to have the study out, and everyone can make their own decision.
  • grinch031
    Options

There is absolutely no need to severely restrict the Carbs.
    Why would anyone want to subject their body to an unnatural way of eating, if there is no clear advantage of doing so?

I missed this originally, but I find this statement very laughable. So you're saying the western balanced diet full of processed foods is natural?
  • ElPumaMex
    Options
    My intention for posting this study from Stanford, was to give another piece of information to low-carb dieters, so that they can better make a decision.

I am concerned at a personal level, that some low-carb dieters are going to extremes that may be unhealthy, as the study quotes from several medical associations.

However, I am not going to try to convince anyone here of not doing low carbs; several years ago, experimenting like many with diets, I did try the low carb diet.

If I had been informed at the time, as the study shows, that weight reduction is not improved by a low-carb diet, I would not have tried it.

MFP gives me the opportunity to reduce weight, while keeping a Balanced diet. No need for low carbs, or low protein, or any extreme diet.
    Concentrating in only the carbs, I would be missing the whole picture. Now that I use MFP, I also monitor Sodium, Fiber, Cholesterol, Fat.

Again, that is my way and I wish everyone the best of luck with their diets ! :bigsmile:

Disease started to show it's face when agriculture was developed(carbs). Before then, there was no disease.

Not sure how your response is related to the quote.
    I am sure your response will get many to answer here, as it is surely controversial to state agriculture is what caused disease ! :huh:

I want to re-iterate my point:
    Not trying to convince anyone, just to inform.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Disease started to show it's face when agriculture was developed(carbs). Before then, there was no disease.

Where are you getting your information?

Or are you just pulling **** out of your *kitten*, as usual?
    Two million years ago, man was a terrestrial creature
    probably no more numerous than the chimpanzees of
    today. He lived in small bands and ate whatever he could
    gather, kill, or find as carrion, Some of his infections
    were those handed down from his nonhuman primate
    ancestor and were probably much the same as those of
    the apes of his time living in the same environment.
    These infections have been outlined above. Among the
    other infections to which he was exposed would be
    parasites acquired by eating raw many kinds of insects,
    birds, and mammals. He would also have been
    vulnerable to what are today called the Zoonoses,
    infections of other animals transmitted to man by ticks,
    mites, mosquitoes, and other biting arthropods. Two
    zoonoses that probably occurred are anthrax and
    botulism.

Cockburn, T. A. Infectious disease in ancient populations. Current Anthropology 12(1): 45-62, 1971.
  • ElPumaMex
    Options

Why would anyone want to subject their body to an unnatural way of eating, if there is no clear advantage of doing so?

I missed this originally, but I find this statement very laughable. So you're saying the western balanced diet full of processed foods is natural?

I did not mention a Western balanced diet, or recommended processed foods !
    Where did you read that? :huh:
  • plaz58
    plaz58 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree that moderation and common sense are the keys. Personally, I changed my eating lifestyle with the Belly Fat Cure. I limit my carbs to less than 120 grams/day but more importantly less than 15 grams of sugar/day. This has enabled me to drop 35 lbs and size 40 to size 36 pants without exercise. Excess carbs/sugar are turned into fat by your body, good fat can help you get rid of belly fat. I feel better and am eating healthier without sugar.
  • grinch031
    Options

So do you advocate a diet of only organic whole foods and cutting out pretty much all whole grain foods? Anything else would be unnatural.
  • ElPumaMex
    Options

So do you advocate a diet of only organic whole foods and cutting out pretty much all whole grain foods? Anything else would be unnatural.

I do think that whole foods are good for you.
    Don't you?

Organic? That is a whole different topic :bigsmile:

Whole grain foods not natural? Again, a different and VERY controversial statement :huh:

My point, again, is that extreme diets and the promise of a magic solution, could be dangerous.
    I sent the study so that low-carb dieters can better make their decisions. It is up to them.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Where are you getting your information?

Or are you just pulling **** out of your *kitten*, as usual?

You're pulling it out of yours. I am tired of educating you. I am just going to block you ron, all you do is talk. Anyone can say "that's bs" yet you don't prove anything, "that's bs, this is bs, etc..." as i stated with no evidence to prove it's bs. Talk is cheap ron.

You consistently make **** up without ANY evidence to support your claims.

Like I've repeatedly told you, the burden of proof falls on the person making the positive claim.

Get it yet?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Don't you?

Whole grain foods not natural? Again, a different and VERY controversial statement :huh:

My point, again, is that extreme diets and the promise of a magic solution, could be dangerous.
    I sent the study so that low-carb dieters can better make their decisions. It is up to them.

Whole grain foods can not be picked and eaten straight from the field, so NO not a whole food. In some cases (where beans and grains have been soaked or fermented) then they are minimally processed, but in bread, crackers, cookies and the like - very highly processed and I stay far, far away from.

I made my decision in 2003 when my doctor said it is low carb for life or resort to insulin shots.............No thanks, I am not letting my body get dependent on pharmaceuticals.

I like Hippocrates quote the best...............Let food be thy medicine and let thy medicine be thy food.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options

In what universe?
  • grinch031
    Options

Don't you?

Most whole grain foods are simply foods that *contain* whole grains. They are highly processed as well as you can see all the additional ingredients. Do you think a loaf of whole wheat bread grows out of the ground? So your argument about low-carb diets being unnatural is highly incorrect. That is my point.
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller33.1.html

There is a link that speaks to high fat low carb diets and how changing our diets to eat all this high carb processed foods is killing us faster.
  • ElPumaMex
    Options
    I agree that moderation and common sense are the keys. Personally, I changed my eating lifestyle with the Belly Fat Cure. I limit my carbs to less than 120 grams/day but more importantly less than 15 grams of sugar/day. This has enabled me to drop 35 lbs and size 40 to size 36 pants without exercise. Excess carbs/sugar are turned into fat by your body, good fat can help you get rid of belly fat. I feel better and am eating healthier without sugar.

Belly Fat Cure, I had not heard about that one.

I have achieved pretty much the same results as you, without exercise, by just following MFP's caloric limit guidelines.
    I also monitor my cholesterol, fat, sodium for better health, again using MFP.

No need in my case to follow any of the Diets being promoted out there

Wish you the best with your diet,