Are you in a Low Carb diet? You need to read this

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    So basically they said there is no relation between low carb diets and weight loss. Doesn't mean that they don't work for some people. It doesn't say whether or not they are healthy. All it really says is that some organizations fear that the high fat content of a low carb diet can cause health problems. So I guess that means that eating a low carb and lower fat, especially trans and saturated fats, diet is probably fine.
    I don't see how this is helping anyone?

I know from my personal experiences that the way for me to control Metabolic Syndrome, PCOS, Diabetes and Thyroid issues is to eat a high fat (yes including a lot of saturated fat), moderate protein, lower carb (all carbs coming from vegetables and fruits).

My lipid profile is GREAT and my triglycerides are very low now.

My only aggravating factor is that because of the PCOS and Thyroid issues my weight loss is dreadfully slow, but now I am ok with that because I am focusing on health.

This is exactly what my nutritionist recommended to me, I do not have Diabetes nor am I pre-diabetic, however my blood glucose levels have always been a tiny bit on the high side, so she recommended the basic diet that the American Diabetic Association follows--low carb, high fat, high protein. It's worked quite well for me.

That said, everybody is different so if you like low-carb, do low-carb. If you prefer low-fat, go low-fat. All up to each individual person and their personal body chemistry.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options

There is absolutely no need to severely restrict the Carbs.
    Why would anyone want to subject their body to an unnatural way of eating, if there is no clear advantage of doing so?

I missed this originally, but I find this statement very laughable. So you're saying the western balanced diet full of processed foods is natural?

I did not mention a Western balanced diet, or recommended processed foods !
    Where did you read that? :huh:

So do you advocate a diet of only organic whole foods and cutting out pretty much all whole grain foods? Anything else would be unnatural.

I do think that whole foods are good for you.
    Don't you?

Organic? That is a whole different topic :bigsmile:

Whole grain foods not natural? Again, a different and VERY controversial statement :huh:

My point, again, is that extreme diets and the promise of a magic solution, could be dangerous.
    I sent the study so that low-carb dieters can better make their decisions. It is up to them.

Most whole grain foods are simply foods that *contain* whole grains. They are highly processed as well as you can see all the additional ingredients. Do you think a loaf of whole wheat bread grows out of the ground? So your argument about low-carb diets being unnatural is highly incorrect. That is my point.

I agree that Bread, including Whole What Bread, is a processed food.
    And that it is likely that first humans did not eat wheat.
    I will give you that one.

However, Carbs as you know come from many, many Natural sources.

For example, Fruit.
    I hope you are not going to tell me Fruits are not natural and good for you.
    Full of carbs? Yeah !
    Fruit is one of the main components of MY daily diet; very healthy, with fiber, no cholesterol,

Do you eat fruit?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    As you can see from these two graphs there is a correlation between the rise in carbohydrate intake and the rise in obesity. Is it just a coincidence that both carbohydrate consumption and obesity rose significantly from the 1976-1980 range up until the 2000s?

http://www.cdc.gov/NCHS/data/hestat/obesity_adult_07_08/obesity_adult_07_08.pdf (Figure 2 - Obesity rates)
    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5304a3.htm (Figures 1 & 2 - macronutrient intake)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My intention for posting this study from Stanford, was to give another piece of information to low-carb dieters, so that they can better make a decision.

I am concerned at a personal level, that some low-carb dieters are going to extremes that may be unhealthy, as the study quotes from several medical associations.

However, I am not going to try to convince anyone here of not doing low carbs; several years ago, experimenting like many with diets, I did try the low carb diet.

If I had been informed at the time, as the study shows, that weight reduction is not improved by a low-carb diet, I would not have tried it.

I just wished that MFP or similar had been available before !
    MFP gives me the opportunity to reduce weight, while keeping a Balanced diet. No need for low carbs, or low protein, or any extreme diet.
    Concentrating in only the carbs, I would be missing the whole picture. Now that I use MFP, I also monitor Sodium, Fiber, Cholesterol, Fat.

Again, that is my way and I wish everyone the best of luck with their diets ! :bigsmile:

I am happy to have the study out, and everyone can make their own decision.

Disease started to show it's face when agriculture was developed(carbs). Before then, there was no disease.

First Taubes, now Paleo nonsense. Do you have anything to support this?

And look at this one and look how many carbs they were eating

Paleolithic nutrition revisited: A twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1997) 51, 207±216

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=eaton paleolithic nutrtion&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC0QFjAB&url=http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton%20Paleo%20Nutri%20Review%20EJCN.pdf&ei=7IRGT-_OHoa6twfqwOX6DQ&usg=AFQjCNH6-2HLdOBhcmNuFpB6W1ck9IRLxA&cad=rja
  • Acg67
    Options
    As you can see from these two graphs there is a correlation between the rise in carbohydrate intake and the rise in obesity. Is it just a coincidence that both carbohydrate consumption and obesity rose significantly from the 1976-1980 range up until the 2000s?

http://www.cdc.gov/NCHS/data/hestat/obesity_adult_07_08/obesity_adult_07_08.pdf (Figure 2 - Obesity rates)
    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5304a3.htm (Figures 1 & 2 - macronutrient intake)

piratesarecool4.gif
  • grinch031
    Options

I agree that Bread, including Whole What Bread, is a processed food.
    And that it is likely that first humans did not eat wheat.
    I will give you that one.

However, Carbs as you know come from many, many Natural sources.

For example, Fruit.
    I hope you are not going to tell me Fruits are not natural and good for you.
    Full of carbs? Yeah !
    Fruit is one of the main components of MY daily diet; very healthy, with fiber, no cholesterol,

Do you eat fruit?

Yeah I eat fruit. I also eat refined white bread on occasion. I just happen to restrict them to cheat days or around exercise because that is the strategy to keep me thin and feeling good.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

piratesarecool4.gif
    OMG I am very concerned. It's getting hot and piratey up in here.
  • ElPumaMex
    Options

Carbs (and all food) have a certain caloric value.
    Of course, if you eat excessive carbs, you will gain weight.

Try eating more protein, and guess what, you will gain weight.

Carbs is just ONE of the components of a healthy diet. Not your enemy.

Everything in moderation, and balance. That is the way I diet now, and plan to keep using MFP.
    You want to severely restrict carbs, that is your choice.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options

piratesarecool4.gif
    OMG I am very concerned. It's getting hot and piratey up in here.

It's ok Killa, pirates make me hot too. :wink:
  • triplejay1
    triplejay1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Indeed maybe we don't know the long term effects of the modern low-carb diets but know them for the high-carb diets. Look around you.
    No disrespect but this post really made me LOL.
    I'm out of here.:drinker:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I've got a crazy idea! How bout letting people who feel better eating low carb eat low carb, let people who prefer high carbs eat lots of carbs, and leave everyone alone. Honestly, I don't understand the reason for posts like this. You don't like low carb? Congrats. Don't eat that way.

Hear, hear!! I'm with you on this one!!
  • ElPumaMex
    Options
    I've got a crazy idea! How bout letting people who feel better eating low carb eat low carb, let people who prefer high carbs eat lots of carbs, and leave everyone alone. Honestly, I don't understand the reason for posts like this. You don't like low carb? Congrats. Don't eat that way.

My intention for posting this study from Stanford, was to give another piece of information to low-carb dieters, so that they can better make a decision.

I am concerned at a personal level, that some low-carb dieters are going to extremes that may be unhealthy, as the study quotes from several medical associations.

However, I am not going to try to convince anyone here of not doing low carbs; several years ago, experimenting like many with diets, I did try the low carb diet.

If I had been informed at the time, as the study shows, that weight reduction is not improved by a low-carb diet, I would not have tried it.

MFP gives me the opportunity to reduce weight, while keeping a Balanced diet. No need for low carbs, or low protein, or any extreme diet.
    Concentrating in only the carbs, I would be missing the whole picture. Now that I use MFP, I also monitor Sodium, Fiber, Cholesterol, Fat.

Again, that is my way and I wish everyone the best of luck with their diets !

• grinch031
    Options

Again, that is my way and I wish everyone the best of luck with their diets !

The only reason they (the institutions) make these statements is because they are biased. There was never any compelling evidence that low-fat diets were healthier than low-carb diets to begin with. In fact more and more studies are starting to show the opposite as far as health markers are concerned.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I said I'm out of here but I couldn't resist.
    Carbs have exactly 4 calories/gram not just a certain value but to answer to your statement.
    That's not true. You cannot eat only proteins consistently day by day and gain weight. You simply cannot.
    Should I also describe why?
    Hope not.

Carbs (and all food) have a certain caloric value.
    Of course, if you eat excessive carbs, you will gain weight.

Try eating more protein, and guess what, you will gain weight.

Carbs is just ONE of the components of a healthy diet. Not your enemy.

Everything in moderation, and balance. That is the way I diet now, and plan to keep using MFP.
    You want to severely restrict carbs, that is your choice.
  • Acg67
    Options

Again, that is my way and I wish everyone the best of luck with their diets ! :bigsmile:

Disease started to show it's face when agriculture was developed(carbs). Before then, there was no disease.

Paleolithic nutrition revisited: A twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1997) 51, 207±216

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=eaton paleolithic nutrtion&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC0QFjAB&url=http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton%20Paleo%20Nutri%20Review%20EJCN.pdf&ei=7IRGT-_OHoa6twfqwOX6DQ&usg=AFQjCNH6-2HLdOBhcmNuFpB6W1ck9IRLxA&cad=rja

like your ASP nonsense, and your "protein increases insulin" ?? i got to go to school we'll talk about this later.

Yup ASP is nonsense

Metabolic response of Acylation Stimulating Protein to an oral fat load. November 1989 The Journal of Lipid Research, 30, 1727-1733.

"ASP appears to be the most potent stimulant of triglyceride synthesis yet described"

www.jlr.org/content/30/11/1727.full.pdf

and protein isn't insulinogenic at all, unless it is

Scroll down to table 4 for the results

Holt Et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html

The acute effects of four protein meals on insulin, glucose, appetite and energy intake in lean men. British Journal of Nutrition (2010), 104 : pp 1241-1248

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayFulltext?type=1&fid=7912922&jid=BJN&volumeId=104&issueId=08&aid=7912920&bodyId=&membershipNumber=&societyETOCSession=

Insulin-4-different-proteins.png
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Where are you getting your information?

Or are you just pulling **** out of your *kitten*, as usual?

You're pulling it out of yours. I am tired of educating you. I am just going to block you ron, all you do is talk. Anyone can say "that's bs" yet you don't prove anything, "that's bs, this is bs, etc..." as i stated with no evidence to prove it's bs. Talk is cheap ron.

You consistently make **** up without ANY evidence to support your claims.

Like I've repeatedly told you, the burden of proof falls on the person making the positive claim.

Get it yet?

http://www.ditext.com/diamond/mistake.html
    The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race

By Jared Diamond
    University of California at Los Angeles Medical School

To science we owe dramatic changes in our smug self-image. Astronomy taught us that our earth isn't the center of the universe but merely one of billions of heavenly bodies. From biology we learned that we weren't specially created by God but evolved along with millions of other species. Now archaeology is demolishing another sacred belief: that human history over the past million years has been a long tale of progress. In particular, recent discoveries suggest that the adoption of agriculture, supposedly our most decisive step toward a better life, was in many ways a catastrophe from which we have never recovered. With agriculture came the gross social and sexual inequality, the disease and despotism, that curse our existence.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I would offer to show you how to make a Pine Cone Bird Feeder, but since it's loaded with carbs I doubt I would have many takers.

Such a shame.
  • Reignee
    Options
    I was trying to lose weight about 10 years ago and pulled out a rice/fruit diet. My caloric intake was considerably less yet I didn't lose a pound in two weeks. A friend suggested I lower my carb intake. I lost 15 pounds quickly AND I felt much better; less bloated. I'm not so sure the study that found no reasonable difference is accurate because I know many people who were successful on a low carb diet. I find that an odd assertion.
  • grinch031
    Options

like your ASP nonsense, and your "protein increases insulin" ?? i got to go to school we'll talk about this later.

Yup ASP is nonsense and protein isn't insulinogenic at all, unless it is

Scroll down to table 4 for the results

Holt Et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 66, 1264-1276

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html

The acute effects of four protein meals on insulin, glucose, appetite and energy intake in lean men. British Journal of Nutrition (2010), 104 : pp 1241-1248

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayFulltext?type=1&fid=7912922&jid=BJN&volumeId=104&issueId=08&aid=7912920&bodyId=&membershipNumber=&societyETOCSession=

Insulin-4-different-proteins.png

You have adequately proven Taubes' hypothesis is flawed. However, it is not that important that protein generates a significant insulin response. Nor is the ability of ASP to store dietary fat without insulin, since it is unreasonable that one would eat a diet where insulin is never produced.

People are often told to eat 300-700g of carbs per day (depending on activity levels). People are rarely encouraged to eat more than 200g of protein. Plus carbs flood the blood with glucose unlike protein. So there is a big difference physiologically between eating protein and carbs and the subsequent insulin response.