When someone calls you "woman"

Options

Replies

• oldbaptistadam
    Options
    I don't like being called "ma'am" or a "c**t" (obviously) but otherwise I really don't care.

As far as how I talk to other people? Probably about the same regardless of their age.

Ok....why is "Ma'am" off limits? Gonna have to explain that one to me. I was raised seeing it as a mark of respect. Older women, younger women.... If I am not using their name, they are ma'am to me. Haven't really ever thought of an alternate term.

You must be from the south..... I can explain that.
    In most of the country, calling a woman "ma'am" is like calling her old. or being snotty/rude. Its not a proper term.
    However in the south, its something stupid ya'll still do. :p

When I was 12 my family moved from new england down to South Carolina.... Since I was 12 I would constantly be yelled at for not saying ma'am... lol
    Someone would ask a question,
    Id reply: "Yes"
    Female Adult: "Yes What?"
    Me: "..."
    Me: "Uhh, huh?"
    Me: "..."
    Female Adult: "You mean Yes Ma'am!"
    Me: "uhh ok."
    Exactly. I am *not* from the South (southwest - AZ - but that's not at all the same thing).

I am a 27 year old woman. My hair is not gray. Gravity has not yet caused my chest to droop low enough to sit on my lap.

I am not a "ma'am" yet.

Acceptable alternatives: "Miss" or even "Hey you"

Yeah, ya'll have me pegged. I have lived here in the south (Arkansas) all my life. :happy: Here the term isn't at all related to age, but just an acknowledgement of the respect I'm supposed to show the other gender. If a waitress half my age asks me a question, then she is going to get a "yes ma'am" in return. Well, I supposed she could get a negative response as well, but most of my answers concerning food are generally in the affirmative....
  • oldbaptistadam
    Options
    OK, so....don't leave me hanging. When I travel in the northern or western states, what is the term I should use if I don't have a name and am addressing a woman? Skimming this thread, it would appear that "Babe," "Honey," or "Woman" isn't likely to get me a positive response.
  • oldbaptistadam
    Options
    OK, so....don't leave me hanging. When I travel in the northern or western states, what is the term I should use if I don't have a name and am addressing a woman? Skimming this thread, it would appear that "Babe," "Honey," or "Woman" isn't likely to get me a positive response.

I trust you understand those examples are in jest.... A Southern guy isn't going to use those anyway. Well, the first two maybe, if the relationship was close enough.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

I trust you understand those examples are in jest.... A Southern guy isn't going to use those anyway. Well, the first two maybe, if the relationship was close enough.
    "Miss" is a good one, I think?
    Honestly, though, as long as you don't call me "ma'am" I really don't care, so maybe I'm not the right person to answer that. I don't even mind being called "woman" and that's supposedly awful.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Ladies, do you get annoyed?

I do girlfriend.

Wait, did I say this pre -op? I did? As you were then...
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

You dont say anything special addressing them.. just the response.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

you say "hey, you...get that A** over here...." works everytime....
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

If you were calling, it'd work for me.
  • MrDude_1
    Options

you could also flip them the bird... if they come back to tell you off, you can quip that you made them come with one finger.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options

I would use Sugar Tits... that is a for sure way to go...
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

you could also flip them the bird... if they come back to tell you off, you can quip that you made them come with one finger.
    Bwahahahaha!
    That is awesome.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    The only people I've referred to as "woman" are my mom when I'm basically in the middle of an argument with her, and my friends pretty much the same reason. Pretty much like this: "Woman, are you not listening? I told you why." Then again I refer to my boyfriend as Mister a lot, mostly just because but when he gets me upset I'll either call him that or his whole name.

I can't imagine using it as a general way to refer to someone or get their attention. But, I have had guys when I was in highschool get my attention by saying, "say girl" as though I was the only 'girl' on campus. Told one of them once that if he was going to refer to me as anything it would be my name and not just assume I'm going to know what the bloody hell he wants by using a stupid equivalent of "hey you."
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    Woman!
    Whoa, man.
    WooooohooohhooooMAN!
    She was a thief, you gotta believe
    She stole my heart and my cat...

hahahahah I love this movie!

I don't mind. I was the only girl in my family growing up. If they called me woman they were being nice :P
    I address my close female friends with offensive names such as hooker, slut and from there make up new super offensive names for each other. And this is mutual for all female friends I have ever had. Well, at least the good ones. :bigsmile:

If I don't know the female so well, I just say howdy because my family was also redneck....so there's that. :grumble:
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    But, I have had guys when I was in highschool get my attention by saying, "say girl" as though I was the only 'girl' on campus. Told one of them once that if he was going to refer to me as anything it would be my name and not just assume I'm going to know what the bloody hell he wants by using a stupid equivalent of "hey you."

are you sure it was "say girl" and not "aayyy gurrl!" ??
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options

This post makes me feel very flup.

Maybe we could all go :flup: ourselves.
  • oldbaptistadam
    Options

I would use Sugar Tits... that is a for sure way to go...

Wow......I am SO getting enlightened here. It's like being introduced to a whole new world.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options

I would use Sugar Tits... that is a for sure way to go...:bigsmile:

Wow......I am SO getting enlightened here. It's like being introduced to a whole new world.

Only trying to help
  • oldbaptistadam
    Options

If you were calling, it'd work for me.

Hey you..... :tongue:
  • oldbaptistadam
    Options

I would use Sugar Tits... that is a for sure way to go...:bigsmile:

Only trying to help

And it is much appreciated! :
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Woah man