Dr. Phil - Open Marriage

Options
shanlynt
shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
The couple featured today have an open marriage. Both have $ex with other people. The husband's mistresse's husband approves of this as well.

What do you think, could it work. Is this the way to keep everyone happy in a marriage so to speak?

Oh and they have rules, no $ex in the marital bed, only on a blow up mattress. And condoms are not required, WTF :noway:

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    We all make our way through life as best we can. If everyone is on board, I fail to see the problem.
    What's right for some may not be for others, but that doesn't make it wrong.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Not my cup of tea, but whatever floats their boat.
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I could never ever ever. But if it get are happy, good On them, it's better then divorce.
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I think that couples are entitled to create their own guidelines to their relationship. As long as consenting adults are involved, I don't see the problem with it. I think communication would be essential, especially when dealing with several sexual partners and a slew of different emotions.
  • ranman1515
    ranman1515 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The audience and Dr. Phil could not get a word in with her always interrupting everyone, and then she gets up and asks for some lotion from an audience member, the lady did not seem to get the point..... the mother was correct though, and watching pron with your 11 yr old,,,, come on
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch, but many people out there (that you'd never guess) have open marriages and it suits them well.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    The couple featured today have an open marriage. Both have $ex with other people. The husband's mistresse's husband approves of this as well.

What do you think, could it work. Is this the way to keep everyone happy in a marriage so to speak?

Oh and they have rules, no $ex in the marital bed, only on a blow up mattress. And condoms are not required, WTF :noway:

I didn't see the show.. but

I believe open relationships can absolutely work provided there are clear boundaries and both parties are truly happy with the arrangement (I am in one). However, I would take issue with the no condoms thing, protection is important.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch either but to each their own.

My husband asks if he can have a second wife all the time. I say if she cooks, cleans, takes care of the kids and him.... I am all for it!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch, but many people out there (that you'd never guess) have open marriages and it suits them well.

i didn't watch either, but yes, I think it could work. I see no issue with it as long as all parties are in agreement to the rules.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Open or not, there are always rules on how you relate to each other ergo - relationship. It's when you step out of the rules or expectations of that relationship that causes problems. Example - in monogamy, if you kiss someone else = cheating. In the example given - sex in the marrital bed = cheating.

How to keep everyone 'happy'; that's a totally different topic because, well, you can't. Each person is really - truly ever responsible for their own happiness. Your life is about you, my life is about me. I react to you, you react to me. HOW we choose to react, well, there's the key.

Yes, I do understand that my actions may directly impact someone else and thus cause positive or negative emotions. But your response may be different than someone else's. I can slap one friend in the butt and get a 'how you doin?' and do the exact same thing to another and get a slap in the face.

Open marriages, just like monogamy, are not for everyone.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    watching pron with your 11 yr old,,,, come on

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT is going on at the Dr Phil show!?
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options

It's like religion, some people care and some don't.
  • vabrewer33
    Options
    I would be worried about diseases...sleeping with mutiple sex partners increases your risk for all STD's as well as cervical cancer. And no condoms?! Can you imagine the fall out, if you will, of bringing a baby into that triangle? Yikes!
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I know someone who are in an open marriage. It works for them. They have rules and discussions. It's not a "Go out and sleep with whoever you want to honey" kind of thing. It works for them, and they are both happy in their marriage.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think I could do it but one of my closest friends has an open marriage and it works brilliantly for them.

They also have rules set up and one of them is their son is to not know about it..
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    It may work for some people but not for me. I only want to have sex with my bf. And the thought of him touching someone else or someone else touching him makes me violent :-)
  • txbutterfly69
    txbutterfly69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Why bother to get married then?
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Watching it now. Doesn't work for me but I do feel if the couple is okay with it, have clear boundaries it could work.
  • Anderia
    Anderia Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I agree with open relationships/marriages. I feel like if EVERYONE agrees and communication is open, go for it. I don't see why not. I'm not saying it is for everyone but it's not hurting anyone either. I've had an open relationship for 5 plus year and it works for me.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If all parties involved are OK with it than I see nothing wrong with it. It is not for me but to each their own. There do have to be some rules for it to work - I know several couples that are in open relationships, they have the rule of no sex in the marital bed as well, that is their place which may seem weird but meh not my life. they do have a spare room they use for their other partners.

It is a more common thing than you suspect.