5'8" Ladies, what's your ideal weight?

I used this ideal weight calculator - http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

... and it says that my medically ideal weight is 125-165 lb... but that women my height , weight, age and gender feel that their ideal weight is around 156lb.

I personally would love to get down to 138 but I feel that 155 is way more realistical weight to maintain for me personally.

So I wonder... what do you ladies think? What you feel would be your ideal weight?

Replies

• I'm 5'8 3/4" to be exact. LOL. I am currently pretty obese...but six years ago when I graduated high school weighing 170s 180s I looked pretty good...and that's considered overweight! Anyways, currently I want to get down to 160 and then of course, I'll go from there.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    My starting weight was 189 and my initial goal was 160, but now that I am at 165, I have revised by goal to 150. I chose 150 because it is at the middle of the healthy BMI range for my height. And I haven't been that weight in about 10 years!!
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Before my pregnancy a bit less than 3 years ago my normal weight range was somehwere between 158 and 168 and I felt pretty awesome at 160 or so (I am 5 feet and 8.11 inches tall)... then I gained 60lb during my pregnancy and have been struggling with the weight since. 10 years ago my normal weight was about 130lb (am now 34 years old) but it increased over the years. I am really wondering if getting down to 130 again is a realistic goal...
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    I'm ultimately aiming for a BMI of 21. I think that's around 138 lbs, but not really in any hurry to get there. Am 149 currently, and mostly content.
  • Foofyknickers
    Foofyknickers Posts: 37 Member
    I would be quite happy at 140lbs. I've been really thin, as low as 100lbs, and I looked ill. Now I'm 188lbs. Somewhere in the middle would be quite nice. :)
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    I'm 5'8 and I was always around 150ish since I've been out of high school but I've let myself get to 160ish twice and that scares me enough to make a change now and be healthy. My ideal weight would be 130ish but my ultimate goal involves a rockin semi muscular bod, as long as I lose my belly I don't care what the scale says!!
  • Depends on your build and age
    Anywhere between 140 to 160 lbs just get to where you are happy, healthy and can maintain.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    hi im 5ft8 and i started mfp at 181 im now 164 and i feel nice. im aiming for 158 maybe 160 as ive been 150 and i coul not maintain
  • mistyfit7
    mistyfit7 Posts: 7 Member
    I'm not 5'8" I'm 5 '9" but everyone seems to say about 165- 150 is really good for me personally. Just hope to get there quickly before summer like I always say haha.
  • I initially aimed for 147 and then when I passed it set a goal of 140. However, I seem to be plateauing quite happily (with a fair amount of tolerance in daily calorie allowance) at 143-146 so will probably stay on this.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    another 5'8 here, 147lbs, 10 1/2 stone, an average uk size 12 in clothes is my dream (i hit that figure years ago with a meal replacement diet, soon piled the weight back on though, so doing it the sensible way this time)
  • I'm male, 5'6" and my ideal weight is 125 pounds as a fighter =P
    you girls gonna be towering over me like I'm some sort of midget!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    I'm 5'8 and 129 lbs.
  • littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    I'm 5'8" and tecnically obese at 99kg (218.25 lbs). I have always been overweight. I don't remember ever fitting into a size 16 (currently size 18 or XL). Personally, I would love to be 78kg (171.9 lbs). This is also because I am a black belt in Karate and ideally will be quite toned. When I actually get to that size I may change my mind, but yeah.
  • christschild2
    christschild2 Posts: 97 Member
    My ideal weight would have to be around 160 because I look too skinny at 155. I don't like to look like a bone. At 155 my waist was 24 and my hips were 34. My doctors could not believe that I weighed that much because my bones were protruding out of my ribs and hips. I do have a bigger frame and it runs in my family. We are heavier than we look.
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    My ideal weight would have to be around 160 because I look too skinny at 155. I don't like to look like a bone. At 155 my waist was 24 and my hips were 34. My doctors could not believe that I weighed that much because my bones were protruding out of my ribs and hips. I do have a bigger frame and it runs in my family. We are heavier than we look.

Actually I have the protruding bones problem as well at 130lb... I remember having bruises on my hips and along my backbone when camping due to sleeping on firm ground o.O I guess I will try to get to 160 and see how I feel then and adjust my goal accordingly..

Thanks for the replies all!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    At the moment, I'm just aiming for the top of my health BMI, and then I'll see how I get on. However, I know when I was much younger, around 70-72kg was a comfortable weight to maintain. Lower than that required that I do a *lot* of physical activity to maintain. I do have huge hands and feet though (I wear UK size 9 shoes - those are really mansized feet!) so I'm not quite the typical 5 8 frame.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I'm initially aiming for 11st 7lb (161) which is towards the top end of my healthy weight, but would like to get down to 11st (154lb) to give myself some breathing space.

It ain't gonna happen while I'm training for a marathon though :laugh:
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Im 5, 8.4 to be exact. I'm aiming for 142 at the min but that could well change.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    I'm 5'8" aiming for 75kg (165lbs).