What is a burpee?

Options
I see people talking that they did so many in a day, or a challenge includes them with regard to cross-fit. What is it? How do you do it?

Thanks in advance....I know some one knows this :)

Replies

• azarang
    Options
    Try this web site. I like it for new routines. This shows you a video on how to properly do a burpee. Good luck. Careful with your knees.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm
  • pocketbookdiva
    pocketbookdiva Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i hate doing burpees!!! they are a squat thrust w/a push up & jump. so you squat, thrust your legs out, do a push up & pull your legs back in & jump up!!! did i mention i hate them?? & bear crawls are on top of my hate list also!!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Burpees are one of the silliest exercises I have EVER seen! I HATE them, and I refuse to do them!

I decided not to take a class I used to like at the YMCA because they got a new teacher and she put burpees into the routine every single time.
  • Kittie_Kat
    Kittie_Kat Posts: 101
    Options
    they're gonna be the death of me..thats all I can say LOL
  • Health_Gal
    Options

You don't HAVE to do them! Say NO to burpees!
  • Kittie_Kat
    Kittie_Kat Posts: 101
    Options

lol I know I don't have to, but they challenge me in a good way...
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I don't like burpees because they look (and feel) WAAAAAAY too silly.

I mean, it looks like they coach doesn't know if they want you to exercise on the floor or standing up. I am willing to do pushups or jumping jacks, but NOT try to basically do both at the same time.

Whoever came up with those silly things should be locked up in a padded room somewhere.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options

lol I know I don't have to, but they challenge me in a good way...

See, we have really different perspectives. To me, dead = bad. LOL!

OP, thank you for asking this. I had always wondered what they were too!
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i have a love hate with burpees, google em they're hard wicked fun
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

I mean, it looks like they coach doesn't know if they want you to exercise on the floor or standing up. I am willing to do pushups or jumping jacks, but NOT try to basically do both at the same time.

Whoever came up with those silly things should be locked up in a padded room somewhere.

I don't get why they are so bad? Because you look silly doing them? Thats a great reason...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

If you think burpees look weird, wait till you see power cleans.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Burpees are one of the silliest exercises I have EVER seen! I HATE them, and I refuse to do them!

I decided not to take a class I used to like at the YMCA because they got a new teacher and she put burpees into the routine every single time.
    Why do you refuse to do them? Because they are hard?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Health_Gal
    Options

Why do you refuse to do them? Because they are hard?

IDEA Fitness member

No, I do other things that are hard. I hate burpees because they are silly and a waste of energy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You will never become elite without them
  • Health_Gal
    Options

You will never become elite without them

That's fine, because I feel absolutely no need to be elite. I just want to be reasonably fit and feel good.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    These are burpees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGljX4bbps

I can't do them but I wish I could... LOL
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Until today, I thought they were the rag I put on my shoulder to catch my daughter's spit up when I burped her. Now I know better!! :frown: :embarassed: :sick:
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    Ooooh see the burpees my trainer makes me do don't involve the push up they are just hands on floor/step feet together jump them out backwards back in again, jump up...repeat...even with no push up they are hell which I detest with everybone in my body...almost as much as mountain climbers but I feel the exercises I hate most are probably the most effective so give them my all when doing them and worrying about breathing afterwards LOL
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    These are burpees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGljX4bbps

I can't do them but I wish I could... LOL

You're not missing anything by not being able to do burpees.

I can do them, but they are just a silly exercise that someone that had too much time on their hands came up with, and I don't like to waste my energy and gym time on them. You can get just as much exercise doing other exercises that aren't nearly as silly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    No, I do other things that are hard. I hate burpees because they are silly and a waste of energy.
    How is improving your VO2max and cardio vascular fitness a waste of energy?

IDEA Fitness member