What is a burpee?

Options

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Ooooh see the burpees my trainer makes me do don't involve the push up they are just hands on floor/step feet together jump them out backwards back in again stand up and jump...repeat...even with no push up they are hell which I detest with everybone in my body...almost as much as mountain climbers but I feel the exercises I hate most are probably the most effective so give them my all when doing them and worrying about breathing afterwards LOL

Just tell your trainer that he is working for you, and you don't want to pay him to make you do burpees! If he refuses, there are other trainers that would love to have the job.

Thant should take care of the situation!
  • rbeatty63
    rbeatty63 Posts: 132
    Options
    I thought they were a variety of tomato, silly me! :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    LOL @ not doing burpees because you look silly. I'm suuuuuuuure that's the real reason :laugh: Stick to the shake weights.

P.S my PB for 100 is 7min 49secs. I thought my heart was going to pound out through my chest by the end of it! FARKING HARD!
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    These are burpees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGljX4bbps

I can't do them but I wish I could... LOL

You're not missing anything by not being able to do burpees.

I can do them, but they are just a silly exercise that someone that had too much time on their hands came up with, and I don't like to waste my energy and gym time on them. You can get just as much exercise doing other exercises that aren't nearly as silly.

I really have no idea why you are so hung up on the silliness of them......working out isn't about looking cool and non-silly it is about what is most effective....the fact that pretty much every fitness professional think that burpees are worth doing convinces me to rate them despite their 'silliness'
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    No, I do other things that are hard. I hate burpees because they are silly and a waste of energy.
    How is improving your VO2max and cardio vascular fitness a waste of energy?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Because I would rather save my energy for other activities and exercises that don't look or feel silly like burpees do!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Ooooh see the burpees my trainer makes me do don't involve the push up they are just hands on floor/step feet together jump them out backwards back in again, jump up...repeat...even with no push up they are hell which I detest with everybone in my body...almost as much as mountain climbers but I feel the exercises I hate most are probably the most effective so give them my all when doing them and worrying about breathing afterwards LOL
    This. Exercises that put people out of their comfort zone end up being the ones that give them the best results in the long run.

IDEA Fitness member
  • WishfulShrinking331
    WishfulShrinking331 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I do the 8 point push ups, I don't do the burpees (the jumping + bad knee = not good)
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I thought they were a seed company....
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    Ooooh see the burpees my trainer makes me do don't involve the push up they are just hands on floor/step feet together jump them out backwards back in again stand up and jump...repeat...even with no push up they are hell which I detest with everybone in my body...almost as much as mountain climbers but I feel the exercises I hate most are probably the most effective so give them my all when doing them and worrying about breathing afterwards LOL

Just tell your trainer that he is working for you, and you don't want to pay him to make you do burpees! If he refuses, there are other trainers that would love to have the job.

Sorry I should reword...the burpees I do willingly when my trainer puts them in my routine are....he doesn't really MAKE me do anything but he is good, I trust him so even though I hate them I do them...gladly coz I am paying him to work me out to the very best of his ability and the improvement I have seen so far convinces me he knows what he is doing so he says burpee I burpee :)
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I have better results coming to exercise classes that don't include exercises that make me feel silly. If I know I will have to do something as silly as burpees, I am much less likely to come to class.

Last summer, I vowed to never sign up for another boot camp class at my gym because they ALWAYS had those silly burpees in the routine.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Ooooh see the burpees my trainer makes me do don't involve the push up they are just hands on floor/step feet together jump them out backwards back in again, jump up...repeat...even with no push up they are hell which I detest with everybone in my body...almost as much as mountain climbers but I feel the exercises I hate most are probably the most effective so give them my all when doing them and worrying about breathing afterwards LOL
    This. Exercises that put people out of their comfort zone end up being the ones that give them the best results in the long run.

IDEA Fitness member

and THIS! I hate abs, I hate the boat pose in yoga (whatever it's called) but now that my abs are a little stronger, I love doing them!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have better results coming to exercise classes that don't include exercises that make me feel silly. If I know I will have to do something as silly as burpees, I am much less likely to come to class.

Last summer, I vowed to never sign up for another boot camp class at my gym because they ALWAYS had those silly burpees in the routine.

Gee, do you like doing burpees? I can't tell from the numerous times you've said that you hate them in this thread. Yeesh.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Lol, yeah my clients whine and cry about burpees, moutain climbers, jump lunges, double jump tucks, etc. yet because I "make" them do them, they are getting tremendous results.

Though you may refuse to do them out of hate, don't try to sway people away from burpees if they are working in their weight loss/fitness success.

IDEA Fitness member
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    burpees are pure evil. all u need to know. xP
  • foramanwhohashope
    foramanwhohashope Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Haha, burpees are what we call UP DOWN GO'S in the Army, in BCT we did them almost everyday for at least an hour. I don't miss them, I still do them though, they're a great cardio exercise!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Because I would rather save my energy for other activities and exercises that don't look or feel silly like burpees do!
    Lol, let me ask do you do Zumba?

IDEA Fitness member
  • Health_Gal
    Options

Sorry I should reword...the burpees I do willingly when my trainer puts them in my routine are....he doesn't really MAKE me do anything but he is good, I trust him so even though I hate them I do them...gladly coz I am paying him to work me out to the very best of his ability and the improvement I have seen so far convinces me he knows what he is doing so he says burpee I burpee :)

Well if I was paying a trainer, one of my rules would be NO BURPEES! Even if I don't progress as quickly without them, still, my rule is NO BURPEES!
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    RisyaLifsheTova Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I most deffintly have a love hate relationship with burpees! Cant wait to do them again tomorrow! lol
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    I don't like burpees because they look (and feel) WAAAAAAY too silly.

I mean, it looks like they coach doesn't know if they want you to exercise on the floor or standing up. I am willing to do pushups or jumping jacks, but NOT try to basically do both at the same time.

Whoever came up with those silly things should be locked up in a padded room somewhere.

So its really about how cool you look working out?